West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » General Fiero Chat » Members Rides
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

’84 in progress...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote Austin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2010 at 11:29am

Cool.. looking good!  Did you have to use a spring compressor to get them off/on?

Oh and before/after pics are req'd

1986 Fiero GT 3.4L V6 DIS, 5 spd, Full Polyurethane Suspension, Rear Coil-overs
Fire451 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fire451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2010 at 6:05pm

i say use the st springs, gives a nice stance, expecially with 14" wheels, I loved how my car looked with the little rims (stance wise that is)

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2010 at 9:04pm

Originally posted by Austin Austin wrote:

Did you have to use a spring compressor to get them off/on?

The fronts? No need to. Just undo the lower balljoint and then lower the control arm with a jack (with the car/cradle being supported). The bottom of the spring will then hang up on a lip. Clynt wanted me to just pry the spring out of there without taking any precautions, but it looked like it was still under a bit of tension to me. I didn't want it ricocheting around our work area and nailing one of Clynt’s dogs! I put a chain around the spring and I’m glad I did. There was quite a bang when I popped the spring out. Other springs in different Fieros may be shorter and/or have less tension, but on this particular ‘84 it was a good idea to use the chain.

A spring compressor is certainly necessary when removing the spring from the rear struts.

Oh and before/after pics are req'd

Well, you've already got the "before" pictures at the start of this thread which show the mega-gap above the tires in the wheel wells. There'll be a few "after" pictures coming.  

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2010 at 9:10pm

Originally posted by Fire451 Fire451 wrote:

i say use the st springs, gives a nice stance, expecially with 14" wheels...

My '84 currently has 16" wheels with 225/50 on the back and 205/55 on the front. (It works out they have the same diameter as each other.)

Fire451 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fire451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2010 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by Patrick Patrick wrote:

Originally posted by Fire451 Fire451 wrote:

i say use the st springs, gives
a nice stance, expecially with 14" wheels...

The '84 currently has 16" wheels with 225/50 on the back and
205/55 on the front. (It works out they have the same diameter
as each other.)

Even better....
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2010 at 9:17pm
Next up on Patty's list: 19's front, 20's back. Right?
Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2010 at 9:24pm

A spring compressor is certainly necessary when removing the spring from the rear struts.

Oddly enough, I have never needed a spring compressor on any rear spring.  I just undid the nut and it popped up about 1/2"  Installing the lowering springs was also just a drop in, push down thread on the nut and install in the car.

Another trick if you are really worried, is undo the nut on the strut while the car is still on the ground That way as you raise the car it slowly releases tension as you jack the car up.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2010 at 10:17pm
Ditto on the compressor (or lack of!).

Rears - I sit on them, and undo the nut (works great assembling them that way too - just sit a bit harder to compress, and spin the nut on).

Fronts - I used to do them the way you did.  Then one day I actually read the GM manual (!!!) and did what I thought was backwards.  Leave the ball joint alone, and undo the lower control arm mounting bolts!  Lower the jack, and the spring just lifts out - no drama at all.  Makes it WAY easier to get back in too.  It's not as big a deal with lowering springs since they're shorter, but stock ones usually put up a fight.  Doing it 'backwards' it was totally painless, and a one person job.

I actually did it on my S10 that way the first time, but the front ends are the same in concept.

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2010 at 10:27pm

Originally posted by Dr.Fiero Dr.Fiero wrote:

Rears - I sit on them, and undo the nut (works great assembling them that way too - just sit a bit harder to compress, and spin the nut on).

Please do NOT post the video of you doing that procedure.

Originally posted by Dr.Fiero Dr.Fiero wrote:

Then one day I actually read the GM manual (!!!)

Sorry, you'll now be required to turn in your man card.

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2010 at 10:27pm

Originally posted by Romeo Romeo wrote:

Next up on Patty's list: 19's front, 20's back. Right?

No.

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2010 at 10:35pm

Okay, here's the back all apart.

Here's three back springs lined up. From the left... stock (NWY), stock (NXD), Suspension Techniques.

And here's my able assistant, Clynt's dog (one of 'em)... Sam.

I'm purposely holding off reporting what springs I used. I'll take some pictures of the actual car and how it now looks... and then I'll reveal what was done.

Fire451 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fire451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2010 at 10:44pm
he cut the coils by the sounds of it
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2010 at 10:51pm

No comments from the peanut gallery!

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2010 at 11:39pm
I'm betting he cut the stock coils and is trying that first.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2010 at 12:06am

Originally posted by Capt Fiero Capt Fiero wrote:

Shouldn't you be packing?

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2010 at 1:02am

Shouldn't you be packing?

Yep however have a little issue we can't find the trailer keys. So I can't hook it to the Blazer and all the stuff won't fit in the blazer and my 88. 

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2010 at 1:17am

Yep however have a little issue we can't find the trailer keys. So I can't hook it to the Blazer and all the stuff won't fit in the blazer and my 88.

Oopsie.

Austin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Austin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2010 at 9:14am

Oopsie.

Uh oh? What'd you break?

1986 Fiero GT 3.4L V6 DIS, 5 spd, Full Polyurethane Suspension, Rear Coil-overs
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2010 at 9:43am
Looks like the Air Zip Disc is comming out to cut the lock off.  I have called all the places I went to last night and no one has them.  (I was driving the blazer at the time) 
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2010 at 10:59am

Oopsie.

Uh oh? What'd you break?

The "Oopsie" was in regards to Dave's trailer keys being lost. I've since edited my post to avoid future confusion.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic