West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home ยป General Fiero Chat ยป Members Rides
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

’84 in progress...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ’84 in progress...
    Posted: 11 March 2010 at 12:16am

Here's the '84 I've been working on the last few months. This is the one that I converted from a 4-speed to a 5-speed, etc.

I put those wheels on in the last couple of days, and in case you've noticed, yes, those rocker panels are white. I want to paint them when it warms up a bit, but in the meantime the car looks better with white rocker panels than with none. (After seeing what it looks like with white rockers, I think it would look good if the rockers were painted a lighter shade of silver/grey than the rest of the trim, rather than exactly the same.)

I plan to put the hood (with the custom vents) from my GT on this Fiero. A rear wing or a custom rear spoiler are also in the works. I'd like to lower it a bit as well.

I took it for a test drive today as I suspected the passenger side front caliper was binding somewhat. (The only caliper I haven't already changed.) The car handled fine, but after a few miles of driving the one brake rotor was HOT. I'll need to change the caliper and hose on that wheel.

Clynt, ol' buddy. I'll need to borrow your flare nut wrenches one more time!

Car-2-Lo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Car-2-Lo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2010 at 12:38pm

Very nice !   From your fleet of Fieros, what are you driving to the next meeting ?
Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2010 at 3:27pm
Is this the 'un-insurable' car that you were hunting down the papers for?

If you want to have the appearance of it being lowered, make the rockers darker than the body.  If you do them white, it'll look even higher!

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2010 at 4:59pm
Naw, just cut the springs with an angle grinder.
Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2010 at 6:16pm

I do have to say that car looks amazing.  You have done an awesome job on it.

I'd also like to comment on the cut springs post.

The master suspension guru at Pontiac Racing.  Did exactly that, he cut 1 coil from the front suspension and claimed, Pontiac was dumb for not doing it in the first place it was one of the most effective mods you could do to any early Fiero.  You can leave the rear springs stock or order just the rears from JC Whitney for less than $100.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2010 at 6:46pm

Originally posted by Car-2-Lo Car-2-Lo wrote:

From your fleet of Fieros, what are you driving to the next meeting ?

If the weather cooperates and I get the caliper changed, perhaps this one.

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2010 at 6:47pm

Originally posted by Dr.Fiero Dr.Fiero wrote:

Is this the 'un-insurable' car that you were hunting down the papers for?

I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that it may incriminate me.

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2010 at 6:48pm

Originally posted by Romeo Romeo wrote:

Actually, that's just what I'm planning to do!  

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2010 at 6:55pm

Originally posted by Capt Fiero Capt Fiero wrote:

I do have to say that car looks amazing.  You have done an awesome job on it.

Thanks Dave. The pictures were taken from the most flattering angles and a lot of sins can't be seen, but I do see promise for it.

My planned changes to the hood, the rear spoiler/wing, paint touch ups to the rockers and elsewhere, and chopping the springs should make a real difference.

I'm real happy with how well it goes, even with a duke. Driving a 5-speed again is SO much fun!

Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2010 at 7:43pm

Yep kinda like many things, the people that can grab a stick in there hands, it just somehow makes the world a better place. 

If you think you are having fun with that stick, you should try a stick with some muscle behind it, the bigger the stronger, the more punch behind the stick its always better.

Ok enough with the dirty talk.  Driving a 5spd is a ton more fun when you can slide the clutch out grab the next gear and go for more.  Its just the way cars were meant to be.     Auto's have there place in life, for those people that just want to cruise and have a fun car.  However those that really want to "DRIVE" their cars, a manual trans is the way to go.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2010 at 8:10pm

Originally posted by Dr.Fiero Dr.Fiero wrote:

If you want to have the appearance of it being lowered, make the rockers darker than the body.  If you do them white, it'll look even higher!

John, I was wondering about that myself after seeing what the Fiero looks like with the white rockers.

I did some photoshopping and I have to say that I think you've got it backwards.

Seriously though, the problem with dark rockers, especially black, is that they blend in with the shadows under the car and therefore "disappear". This gives the impression that the aero trim along the bottom of the door (and along the other side panels) is the "bottom" of the car, thus making the car look higher from the ground.

On the other hand, a lighter colored rocker panel stands out against the shadows under the car and therefore makes the car look lower.

I don't want white rocker panels on this Fiero, but I think a light silver/grey on the rockers would look sharp along with the rest of the darker silver/grey aero trim.

And I want to chop the springs to actually make it lower.

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2010 at 8:28pm

Originally posted by Capt Fiero Capt Fiero wrote:

If you think you are having fun with that stick, you should try a stick with some muscle behind it, the bigger the stronger, the more punch behind the stick its always better.

We are talking cars here, right?

I know all about driving powerful cars with manual trannys.

Remember Dave, I'm old and I've owned cars since 1974. Among others, I've had a '67 Chevelle SS396, '70 Nova SS, '78 Z28 Camaro...

You're preaching to the converted!

Yes, I'd still like a V8 Fiero, but for now I can be content with a 2.8 or even a duke!

By the way, my '67 Chevelle SS396 was a monster and would've kicked the ass of any 4.9 Fiero.

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2010 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by Patrick Patrick wrote:

Once you're done lowering it, don't forget to put NOS stickers on it. Each one adds ten horsepower!
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2010 at 9:01pm

Once you're done lowering it, don't forget to put NOS stickers on it. Each one adds ten horsepower!

I don't get the connection. Seriously, what's the problem with cutting the springs? I'm talking like one coil here, maybe a coil and a half.

Or do you prefer the four wheel drive bush buggy look?

marcelvdgn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote marcelvdgn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2010 at 11:36pm

Paint the ground effects the same colour as your wheels

My opinion only

Marcel

Marcel 86SE V6 Auto
85SE V6 Auto
85 2m4
soon to be sleeper 3.8sc 5 speed
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2010 at 12:28am
Originally posted by marcelvdgn marcelvdgn wrote:

Paint the ground effects the same colour as your wheels

That's exactly what I thought I'd do with the rocker panels while I was photoshopping and trying different colors!

By the way Marcel, those are the rockers I bought from you almost two years for my GT. For one reason or another, I took the rockers off this '84 and put them on the GT instead, and now your rockers are on the '84. It's a complicated world.

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2010 at 2:54pm
Nice:)
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2010 at 8:20pm

I don't get the connection. Seriously, what's the problem with cutting the springs? I'm talking like one coil here, maybe a coil and a half.

You are joking, right?

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2010 at 8:41pm

You are joking, right?

About what? About you preferring the "four wheel drive bush buggy look"?

Yes, I'm kidding about that.

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2010 at 11:11am

As reported in This thread, I finally got around to dealing with the lowering of the '84.

Here's what it looked like once I had one side apart up front...

And here's the options I had in regards to front spring replacement...

On the left is the factory spring (DMF) that I took out, the middle spring is from Intrax, and the spring on the right is a Suspension Techniques unit.

I'll leave you all in suspense for awhile before I tell you what I eventually used to lower the front of the '84.

Right now I'm headed out to do the back!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic