West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Off Topic » Got something you want to talk about.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Overpriced HDMI neat read

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Overpriced HDMI neat read
    Posted: 31 March 2010 at 7:17pm

Kinda neat read on HDMI cables. 

For the record NCIX in Langley sells 10ft HDMI cables for about 15 bucks.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2010 at 10:35pm

LOL! Douche Nozzle!

But yeah, Best Buy doesn't operate on commision, therefore, the employee doesn't really care if you buy the high-end HDMI cable or not. They don't see a penny from it.

Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2010 at 6:41am
The employee doesn't directly.  But the store sure sees the higher GP.
Then the manager gets his bonus (or whatever) when the store sees higher profit margins, and the employee get brownie points for higher overall sales.

But yeah....  douche nozzle....   hahahaha....
ZeroC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ZeroC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2010 at 8:35pm
true to a point ....yes there is mass mark up on monster !

dc on a typical monster hdmi cable is about 5 bucks retail is 150 to 180

however the "cheap" ones are not so swell..yes they are less expensive ..but the fail rate is quite high ... nothing like doing a custom home install cables all hidden in the walls and all fancied up ...only to have the cable fail 2 weeks in ..! mad headache !

out of wall install ..buy a cheap cable ! ..in wall ..spend the money haha ! :)

ps dont forget everyone to only buy v1.4 hdmi cables needed to run 3d sources ! :)

ps i do this for a living ..and i sell monster ...but no i dont work at a evil mega chain lol :)
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2010 at 10:45pm

YOU'RE A DOUCHE NOZZLE.

Yeah, durability is what I've heard too. Would be cool to see a mythbusters of HDMI Monster/El Cheeeeepo.

Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Duck View Drop Down
Never fear, Superduck is here!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2010 at 4:50pm

Dude. Even cheaper, look on eBay. I bought a 6' HDMI cable for $2.99 SHIPPED! (To the US, but still) THREE DOLLARS!

I seem to remember a scientific test showing the difference.

HOWEVER, everyone says that because it's digital it either works or doesn't work. That's not 100% true. I cancelled my cable a while ago because I wasn't watching it much, and built one of those (almost) free HD antennas. It was great. I got three (supposed 4) completely free local HD channels. Global, CBC and CTV. All in HD quality. The only problem is, the repeaters are on Mount Seymour and there's this pesky Westwood Plateau between me and the mountain, so I only got two channels and when it got too overcast, I'd start losing picture. It was like a really grainy old webcam broadcast, and the sound would start warbling and warping. I had an actual image, but it was all blocky and unstable. All that rant was just to disprove the 'all-or-none' theory. Myth Busted.

Side note, if you want a SMOKING deal on Shaw cable, cancel your cable for a couple months. I've not got Basic Cable, Basic Digital and Basic HD, along with an HDPVR, all for $10.00 a month, for the next 12 months.

Cheers,

Kris

How much horsepower can I have and still go to heaven?
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2010 at 6:13pm
Well actually all or nothing still works because as soon as you went RF you were not digital any longer.  The radio signal is not digital it's analog so it is susceptible to fading.

DG

Originally posted by Duck Duck wrote:

All that rant was just to disprove the 'all-or-none' theory. Myth Busted.

Cheers,

Kris

You dream it up....I'll make it
Duck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2010 at 8:07pm

Originally posted by Dawg Dawg wrote:

Well actually all or nothing still works because as soon as you went RF you were not digital any longer.  The radio signal is not digital it's analog so it is susceptible to fading.

DG

Almost too long ago to bother replying, but what's the difference between transmitting digital data over the airwaves or transmitting digital data via cable? I'm not really up on the technology behind both, so I don't know. The OTA digital is still digital, is it not?

Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2010 at 8:52pm
This is true, the data being transmitted is indeed digital and if your radio signal remains strong enough it's a great perfect picture just like cable.  Unfortunately, the radio carrier is analog.  So when it becomes marginal the receiver will lose bandwidth.  It will try and collect enough signal by using up it's buffer, but at some point there won't be enough to maintain a high quality picture.

Now it will hold on for a long time before you notice any problems.  Way longer than a pure analog signal.  Once you see a degraded signal it means it's just about totally gone.

DG

Almost too long ago to bother replying, but what's the difference between transmitting digital data over the airwaves or transmitting digital data via cable? I'm not really up on the technology behind both, so I don't know. The OTA digital is still digital, is it not?

You dream it up....I'll make it
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2010 at 12:39am

I just ordered a couple of These for $3.99 apiece...

nGear Ng HDMI 6 M/M 1.8M 6FT1.3 Digital HQ Video Cable Sleeved 1 Right Angle
nGear Ng HDMI 6 M/M 1.8M 6FT1.3 Digital HQ Video Cable Sleeved 1 Right Angle
Actual product may not be exactly as shown.
nGear Technologies Inc.

Express Shipping
Checking price and availability...
Our Price:

$3.99  CAD

Duck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2010 at 8:12am

Oohh.. I want one of those! Of course it'll cost me $10 in gas to drive there, or it's $10 shipping. Either way, makes it no longer cheap. I wish I had other parts I needed to order right now. :(

I hate that my TV has that stupid side HDMI port. Who thought up that one? Are there a lot of cameras and other hand-held devices that use HDMI? Keep it on the back like everyone else. /sigh

Good deal. Let me know what they're like.

Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2010 at 8:42am
Camcorder I just picked up has HDMI output.

My TV has the port on the side as well (Samsung).  Wish it had one on the front!  Guess they don't like the distracting look of a port being there (though what would it take to put a rubber plug in it?).

Anyhow - only thing I can see being bad about that 90* plug would be if your TV's port was vertical.  The cable going sideways would cause HUGE torsional loading on the HDMI socket.  Be great if it was horizontal and the cable could just hang down though.

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2010 at 11:08am

Originally posted by Dr.Fiero Dr.Fiero wrote:

Anyhow - only thing I can see being bad about that 90* plug would be if your TV's port was vertical...

For a dollar more you can have These...

nGear NG-HDMI-MM-6 HDMI M/M 6FT HQ Video Cable
nGear NG-HDMI-MM-6 HDMI M/M 6FT HQ Video Cable
Actual product may not be exactly as shown.
nGear Technologies Inc.

Express Shipping
Checking price and availability...
Our Price:

$4.99  CAD

And the 10 ft cables are $6.99

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2010 at 11:12am

Oohh.. I want one of those! Of course it'll cost me $10 in gas to drive there...

Where the heck do you live? Netlink (NCIX) has stores in Vancouver, Burnaby, Richmond, and Langley.

Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2010 at 11:16am
He's just north of Spuzzum.  Or coquitlam.  One of those....   
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2010 at 11:23am

Originally posted by Dr.Fiero Dr.Fiero wrote:

He's just north of Spuzzum...

Okay, that explains it.

Have they gone digital in Spuzzum?

Duck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2010 at 6:26pm

Jeez. Mr. Cracker's second choice is where I am. And I've been mad that NCIX doesn't have a location actually 'close' to me in the Tri-Cities. It's a good half hour to any location from here. (With traffic) In my car, that amounts to $10 in gas. Though now that I need some RAM, I might have to drive out there tomorrow anyway. I called a local shop (in Coquitlam) and they had one 1gb stick of DDR and one 512MB stick, he wanted $60 for the 512 and $75 for the 1gb. Haywood...  It's about half that for NEW stuff at NCIX. That might make it worth my while driving out there after work tomorrow.

And as far as the TV goes, not a lot more stress on the ports being sideways, really. The cable comes out at a 90 from the side of the TV anyway, what difference does it make if it's shooting out the back or side? Twisting is probably easier on it, since it'd distribute the load more evenly than pulling straight down.  /shrug

Kris

(Still on dial-up in Coquitlam, heck, we only just got 2400 baud modems here.)

Fire451 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fire451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2010 at 6:57pm

hey duck try going to kevins used computers on westwood, http://www.kevinsusedcomputer.com/memory.htm

beken View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote beken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2010 at 11:33am
At 4 meters, you would be hard pressed to find a difference between cheap and expensive cables for digital signals.  However, much longer, and you get into the issue of the digital clock timing.  The longer the cable, the more the issue becomes a problem exponentially.  Sometimes this is called clock jitter.  There could be a difference in clock signal timing between the sender unit and receiver.   Your front end must be of good quality also, to send out a good clock signal.  Hence for longer runs, you should invest in a higher quality cable (not necessarily Monster).  If you are under 14m it's probably not an issue.  However, Monster would like you think it is.

Beken (aka Ken) - bekentech@westcoastfieros.com   Original and still the owner of an 85SE 2M6 4spd
beken View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote beken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2010 at 11:58am
Speaking of which, I happen to have a spare HDMI cable lying around (brand new).

If there is demand amongst the members of the club for one, I can donate it into the club door prize drawings.

Beken (aka Ken) - bekentech@westcoastfieros.com   Original and still the owner of an 85SE 2M6 4spd
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic