West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » General Fiero Chat » General Talk about Fieros
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Owner 86se, few questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote cam2510 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Owner 86se, few questions
    Posted: 24 June 2010 at 2:44pm
my names cam im on saltspring island going on 4 years now and just recently bought a 86se v6 4-speed 209k with fresh rebuild on motor. shown it has also performance chip, holley carb? and said to be performance rebuilt. don't get me wrong the car goes like stink but seems a little sluggish in higher rpms, runs very rich, and almost feels like the timings out(slightly unsteady acceleration, faster sometimes then others). I am no guru so my skills take me to the shop when its anything other then pull out put in thus bringing me to my questions. are these engines fairly easily tunable? in the sence that the local shop won't have issues even though suposed "performance rebuild"?

when I bought was told it had sat for atleast 4 years and before that about 6 of little movement now since my ownership i have done new dist-cap&rotor + 8mm wires, clean&regapped plugs, fix stereo wiring(rust short), rehung exhaust, oil&filter+flush, fuel filter, flush brakes lines, flush clutch, rebuild master clutch(leaky), front upper ball joints, rear right balljoint, new left cv boots(leaky), rear left bearing, rear brakes(stock replace), heater core, new sail panels.

now I am looking at having to do the steering rack and stumbled onto the site fierostore.com and wonder about reliability anyone have any issues or only good review? I ask cause i will have to do all the parts locating myself because local parts store isnt interested at all thus fierostore.com is my first option ive seen.
Now this is a new one too me so I dont know what all is needed for parts. I plan on ordering the inner+outer tierod end kit, steering rack(includes inner boots), steering stabilizer but are there any other bushing i may be over looking?

im also looking at new wheels as im running on cracked&weathered 10y/o predators still got the nubbys they have sat so long unused. has anyoine ever used the site wheelfire.com? im wanting to order a set of 17"x7" 5 spoke HPO(image)+ 215/45/17 delinte dl9100(image) but remain unsure of the site. any reviews on the site known? and is this the proper rim+tire size mating?

I do have lots of plans, id like too see 250+hp using a turbo kit in the v6 and plan to put in the koni suspension upgrade package + complete poly bushing kit and finish brakes with front oversize upgrade kit but as of right now it is my daily driver and im trying and keep her running as such
pls pardon my horrible grammar
Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2010 at 5:03pm
Sounds like you've replaced most of the 'aged' stuff.

Rims & tires: if you get over here, go see Ryan McHolister at National Tire on River road in Delta.
If you really want to ship things: www.tirerack.com

The stock tune is really good (if all the sensors etc are working right!!) and there is little to be done there.

Honestly, by the time you build up a turbo system (been there, done that!) in it's entirety - you could have done a stock 4.9 V8 swap ($'s wise).

I'd personally just drive what you've got (after fixing the remaining safety and running issues).

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2010 at 10:18pm
Woah woah woah... It has a chip AND a carb? What exactly is the chip for?
Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2010 at 10:42pm

It's a Holley throttle body, the same that every other Fiero 2.8 came with from the factory.

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2010 at 12:25am
The guy specifically said carb, and it's not like a carb and a laterally-mounted throttle body look similar.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2010 at 12:57am

Originally posted by Romeo Romeo wrote:

The guy specifically said carb, and it's not like a carb and a laterally-mounted throttle body look similar.

No, he said...

Originally posted by cam2510 cam2510 wrote:

...holley carb?

And I was explaining to him what it actually was.

cam2510 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote cam2510 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2010 at 6:52pm
yea sry for confusion as mentioned im not so tech oriented, id be the brakes guy er something.

thx for the advice dr.fiero, I have scheduled an appt. to finish the last of drivability issues altough id still like to know if fierostore.com is reliable atleast to order the steering rack. as for the engine I do think ill drive this 2.8l as is well mostly. Is it fairly standard to have very low accel in highend 5000rpm+? since the car has a chip is it worth considering k&n/cold air intake? for now ill c what i can do by cleaning injectors n stuff.

Anyone have experience with fierostore.com(spec. suspension components) or wheelfire.com(smokin deal&free shipping??)?
Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2010 at 7:37pm
I spend.... well.... WAY too much at TFS
yearly.

What'll kill ya is the shipping on something as
big as a rack. You can probably expect a
$100 shipping bill.
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2010 at 8:45pm

yea sry for confusion as mentioned im not so tech oriented, id be the brakes guy er something.

thx for the advice dr.fiero, I have scheduled an appt. to finish the last of drivability issues altough id still like to know if fierostore.com is reliable atleast to order the steering rack. as for the engine I do think ill drive this 2.8l as is well mostly. Is it fairly standard to have very low accel in highend 5000rpm+? since the car has a chip is it worth considering k&n/cold air intake? for now ill c what i can do by cleaning injectors n stuff.

Anyone have experience with fierostore.com(spec. suspension components) or wheelfire.com(smokin deal&free shipping??)?

I think you like have a K&N Filter, not a full cold-air intake, and yes, the Fieros intake doesn't breathe too well at high rpms.

Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2010 at 10:22pm
Nothing wrong with a K&N - but expect no performance gain over a new stock paper one.

The intake portion UP TO the throttle body has been dyno shown over and over to be well engineered and needs no improvement with a stock or slightly modded engine.

You might want to look into one of Dawg's TB's and upper plenums though IF your engine has really been modded cam wise.  It might be lacking in air flow (they're just barely adequate on a stock setup).

Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2010 at 10:49pm

Another great easy bolt on part is the MSD Coil for the V6 Fiero.  Usually around 50-60 bucks, and performs way better in the 4000-6000rpm range over the OEM stock coil. 

Oh and don't forget www.rodneydickman.com for all your parts needs I usually go there before I order from Fierostore.  Fierostore is great, and have always been good to us, however Rodney goes out of his way to build better products, and really stands behind what he makes or sells.  I believe he sells a complete rack rebuild kit, which is way better than any of the aftermarket racks you can buy, plus it will save you a bundle on shipping.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
cam2510 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote cam2510 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2010 at 1:14pm
thanks so much for the great info, the big problems im running into are with tracking down parts and to have someone that will ensure reliability of those parts is essential, since total cost of the vehicle is an issue i will be going through rodney to buy the rack rebuild kit(atm not listed).

I talked with the gentleman out of Courtney who rebuilt the engine 4ish years ago. He said that he cant remember the car exactly since he sees about 3 fieros a year but if it was done at his shop that it would be completely tuned. being fully rocker/rollerized, racing cam, underdrive pulleys he said a few others i cant remember ..... now I ask myself is there anyway to check for such things or is it reliant on word?

I have ordered in the k&n filter & msd coil plus will be ripping the tb & intake manifold off the local autowrecker's with intent to send them to dawg for modification. After that im looking for exhaust manifold to finish engine breathing, any suggestions? what about exhaust&muffler?

thanks again cam.

cam2510 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote cam2510 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2010 at 1:44pm
rite... im still looking at www.wheelfire.com for rims&tire. I looked at the tirerack.com and its no where near the deals + free shipping.
BUT I can't find a real person review of the site anywhere other then on their site itself. suggestions?
I am really thinking about going for it $900 for a full set at my door, can't really go wrong.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2010 at 1:48pm

... a 86se v6 4-speed

We'd care a whole lot more about this Fiero if we could see some images of it.

Don't worry about it not being perfect. It's always interesting to see the "before" pictures.

[EDIT] It's not this one, is it? ...

cam2510 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote cam2510 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2010 at 9:52am
no its not, i will have to take a few more pics but this is one i have. need to know a better file host tho?
this is me & lulu as previous owner named her
http://www.filefactory.com/file/b24d14g/n/32276_426115976139 _558881139_5937623_4441221_n.jpg
just click preview
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2010 at 11:22am
This site has a built in image server.  Use the button with the tree and blue up arrow.  Works great.

DG
You dream it up....I'll make it
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2010 at 12:50pm

need to know a better file host tho?

Geez, it couldn't be any easier to post images here.  (Just make sure the JPG file size is no larger than 150 KB, and try to keep each image no wider than 800 pixels.)

As Dawg pointed out, simply click on the icon with the tree and the "up" arrow to upload and post images right off your hard drive.

Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2010 at 12:55pm
As long as they're no more than 125Kb !

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2010 at 12:57pm

Originally posted by Dr.Fiero Dr.Fiero wrote:

As long as they're no more than 125Kb !

Oh yeah? Take another look, John!

Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2010 at 1:00pm
I see!  Got jacked to 150kb.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic