West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Build Threads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Brian’s Super Clutchnet Race Clutch Swap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2010 at 11:55pm

Wow, that's just inexcusable.

Unfortunately, it seems that unprofessionalism within the industry is not uncommon.

Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2010 at 12:34pm
I just got off the phone with Oleg they are air shipping a new one today, should be at the depot on Saturday.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2010 at 3:22pm

Ok here are the pics where the Pressure Plate and Bell housing were rubbing.

We tried to clearance the bell housing however it was still rubbing and we did not want to grind any more off for fear of reducing the strength of the trans.

This is the way to re and re a trans in a driveway without a hoist,

We marked the trans where it was rubbing

Dr Fiero aka Watts aka John,

You can see the red paint where it was rubbing

Various angles to show the paint rubbed off where it was hitting.

More of the Trans Marked where it was hitting.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2010 at 10:29pm

Originally posted by Capt Fiero Capt Fiero wrote:

Dr Fiero aka Watts aka John

Heh heh, great picture of John. If that isn't the look of total disgust, I don't know what is!

Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2010 at 10:53pm
Funny thing is...  we hadn't even found out that the clutch didn't fit at THAT point!

That was my look of disgust at the state of the trans housing.  The shop that rebuilt it hadn't even cleaned off the sploodge that was inside the inner bellhousing, so I was in the process of cleaning it off and moping it all out when dave snapped that.

No idea what I looked like AFTER the 2nd-romeo-clutch-job-fiasco commenced.

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2010 at 11:04pm
Bah, I have to say - the product itself is fantastic (Granted mine isn't right still) but yes, after they sent three wrong ones to me, you really thing they'd have had the common sense to ship the right one to you...
Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2010 at 12:39am
Well just an update, Oleg thanks to Brian's prodding, is Overnight Air shipping the proper clutch pressure plate with a 4cm face to us, UPS says it will have it at my door on Monday, however I am going to call UPS on Saturday and see if they will hold it at the deepo for pickup, if we can get it a day early or even just 8-12hrs early that will be a huge help. 
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2010 at 12:59am
Crazy daisy. Yes, I feel torn about suggesting the company to others after reading this. As I said, the product is fantastic, but the service is making is hard to tell others to flock to them...
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2010 at 12:18pm
Flock...he needs a FLOGGING:)
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2010 at 5:31pm

Was able to be semi productive today and re-do all the front brake with new studs, nuts, pads & rotors (GA), and replace two coolant hoses...and picked up yesterday the newly wrapped y-pipe from Dr. Fiero

OMG we could be complete if this pressure plate was the correct one, or arrive yesterday as demanded!, Oleg from Clutchnet is actually arguing with me now on "No shipping to Canada on Saturday's", event though I advised him I spoke to the owner of the UPS Store in New West yesterday...all he had to do was checkmark "Saturday Delivery"!!!...lol, getting sily

Crossing our fingers it arrives early...

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2010 at 7:21pm

Ok with the clutch portion of this work on hold, Brian decided to redo the front brakes. 

So the Grand-Am front brakes got new pads, new rotors and new wheel studs.  It was amazing how quickly it went.  Brian also changed a rear coolant hose, however I did not get pics of him doing that.

I did the left side of the cars brakes and he did the right.   I just love the look of new brake parts, especially when its topped with nicely painted callipers and racing tires.

Ok pics.

The brakes

Love those super size rotors.

Brian putting the wheel back on.

Love those tires, amazing feel even when handling them in your hands, they just feel sticky.

Extra long wheel studs to keep the track officials happy, ensure that with the thicker rotors the studs have enough grip and it just looks good having the extra stud Length.

Nice brakes and callipers behind the wheels.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2010 at 7:28pm
Nice pics David...
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2010 at 10:39pm
Our little Brian......all growd up and doing his own brakes...<sniff>

It all happens too fast I tell ya......:)

DG
You dream it up....I'll make it
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2010 at 6:49am
Pardone?...
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2010 at 1:47pm
Hehe....just me being a goof....<smile>

DG
You dream it up....I'll make it
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2010 at 5:14pm
Me also...
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2010 at 5:31pm

The new pressure plate is here, I am going to begin the installation right now and work until its either too dark to see or I pass out.  I want the clutch installed, trans installed and at the least part of the suspension installed before I quit tonight. 

If anyone feels like coming over to chat or offer moral support, LOL, I"ll be here, Brian said he is coming over as well.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2010 at 6:47pm
I'll be over after I eat something, I just got home from work.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2010 at 11:26pm

Well Brian left at 10:15 and Tristen just left here at 11:20 Thankfully with a charging Fiero.

Brian and I got the Trans/Clutch back in, cradle is jacked up and cradle bolts are tight.

Tomorrow I'll start on Brakes and the remainder of the suspension. (just the 3 strut tower nuts and caliper bolts)  Then the Exhaust Y-Pipe, E-Brake Cables and main wiring stuff.

With any luck, car will be on the ground driving by tomorrow night.  I'll post pics in a bit, need to take a break and get cleaned up.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2010 at 12:09am

WooHoo, the new pressure plate arrived, we got it installed and hand cranked the motor nothing is hitting now.

We got started around 6pm tonight and by 10pm, the clutch was installed, tranny back in and bolted, dickman mounts put back on, drivers suspension put back together, cradle raised back up into position and cradle bolts tight.

At that point we called it a night.

However I had a guest over that would not be able to go home until we fixed his alternator.  So after Brian left around 10:15pm I helped Tristan finish off the rebuild on his alternator and install it into his 86GT.  Thankfully all went well and it was charging at 14.5v on the first fire up.

Ok Pics for the night.

The new pressure plate, honestly it does not look as robust as the fist one, however it works and we shall see just how good of a clamping force it has.

Very much shorter than the 1st one though, which totally solved the hitting the bell housing.

Never heard of Hechoenmexicc however the 184 was stamped on the Luke clutch we had.

Stopped and cleaned up the flywheel before we installed the 2nd pressure plate as there was red locktite residue, and at the same time cleaned up the center hub which was kinda crappy looking.

Pressure plate installed.  I actually had to install it twice as the first time I did not get the disk lined up perfect and was not happy with it.

Tristan working on his Alternator

Lisa coming out to check on us and make sure we were not goofing off.

Its Up, Yaaa

Nice to see it with the guts pushed back up.

The motor is back where it is suppose to be.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic