West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Build Threads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Brian’s Super Clutchnet Race Clutch Swap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2010 at 7:35am
Originally posted by Capt Fiero Capt Fiero wrote:

WooHoo, the new pressure plate arrived

Never heard of Hechoenmexicc however the 184 was stamped on the Luke clutch we had.

Please...  please tell me that you're kidding?
"hecho en mexico"
"made in mexico"

Glad to see it in (AND TURNING!) anyhow!!!!

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2010 at 8:00am

Yeah, Hecho en Mexico is a pretty common term...

Damn, hanging out with you guys was fun last night!

Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2010 at 8:57am

Ya, Mexico, maybe that was the 100km drive Oleg had to do, border shopping?...lol

Was fun last night and good to see you made it home...tonight will be even more fun, we'll be there

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2010 at 9:05am
Well I just woke up, got myself 4hrs sleep, gonna wolf down some food and coffee and get back at it.  Will take a break around lunchtime and post updated pics, and yes T, last night was a lot of fun.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Austin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Austin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2010 at 10:58am

Hmm interesting.. hope everything turns out ok!

I'm guessing they take a new pressure plate and respring them to spec?  What's their warranty on this stuff anyway?

Good luck guys!

1986 Fiero GT 3.4L V6 DIS, 5 spd, Full Polyurethane Suspension, Rear Coil-overs
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2010 at 11:25am

Hey David,

I may pick this up on the way home from Driver's Edge.  In speaking with Frank, he is suggesting this product as it's half the price of MOTUL and really good, plus to do a flusj like this through the whole system we can identify when the fluid starts coming out Blue:)...lol

I will call you later, I am estimating 3-4lt's of this: http://www.driversedgeautosport.com/ate_superblue.htm

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2010 at 11:41am

Sounds good, I think 2 liters should be enough though.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Austin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Austin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2010 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by Bassman Bassman wrote:

http://www.driversedgeautosport.com/ate_superblue.htm

I know a lot of the 944 Spec guys run this stuff.  A thread about it on the 944 board http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/924-931-944-951-968-fo rum/56002-opinions-on-ate-super-blue-race-fluid-2.html

Lol just looked on the date, goes back to 2003  

Say just noticed someone mentioned, DOT5 is more compressible at high temps... is that what you were running in your clutch hyds??? T hat would explain the problems you were having on track day?

1986 Fiero GT 3.4L V6 DIS, 5 spd, Full Polyurethane Suspension, Rear Coil-overs
Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2010 at 12:49pm
It's 5.1 -- very different from 5

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2010 at 12:54pm

John, for the clutch I am running just Dot 5...was Prestone now GUNK, David can take a look as it's at his place, guess this is something we can convert back to if that's the case...time for another discussion:)

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2010 at 3:35pm

Now back brakes...OMG...For all this I should have bought Blair's beast...lol

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2010 at 3:47pm

Originally posted by Austin Austin wrote:

Say just noticed someone mentioned, DOT5 is more compressible at high temps...

???

What am I not understanding here?

How can DOT5 be "more compressible" at any temp when liquids don't compress?

Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2010 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by Patrick Patrick wrote:

What am I not understanding here?

Vapors do though - and dot 5 (not .1) has a lower boiling point.  So at higher temps, it'll boil - and compress (well, sort of!).

Austin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Austin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2010 at 5:29pm

Originally posted by Dr.Fiero Dr.Fiero wrote:

Vapors do though - and dot 5 (not .1) has a lower boiling point.  So at higher temps, it'll boil - and compress (well, sort of!).

Yeah... what he said

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2010 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by Austin Austin wrote:

Originally posted by Dr.Fiero Dr.Fiero wrote:

Yeah... what he said

So in other words... Due to a lower boiling point, the use of DOT5 can lead to a "spongy" brake pedal during extended hard braking.

Okay, got it.

[EDIT] Could that also lead to a "spongy" clutch pedal if DOT5 is used in the clutch hydraulics and the engine bay gets really HOT? If so, that's baaaaaaaad.

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2010 at 10:20pm
Yup...next to flush and go with the Dot 4 we put in for the brakes tonight...nice and BLUE
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2010 at 10:43pm

Ok saw after all the delays we are getting stuff DONE.  WooHoo.  Today was a day where lots got accomplished.
New Ebrake Cables, new Rear Calipers, New Rear Top of the line Pads. New sliders, new Springs for the calipers even new style pad retainers.
Struts got mounted properly. rear toe link was tightened up and cotter pin installed.  All the hose clamps were tightened up.  So in total the car has new pads all the way around, new calipers all the way around and new Grand Am rotors on the front. 

Tomorrow will be flush and fill clutch system and replace slave.  Slave will have new blue fluid as well.

The Exhaust Y-pipe has an issue that I don't like, the bolts are tight but the springs are no where near tight enough.  So Ill build a little spacer for them.

Tons of little things need to be done still, but hopefully it can all get done quickly and have the car back to him tomorrow night.

Its Fiero Chick's and I's Wedding Anniversary tomorrow so I would like to take her out for dinner and have some private time for us.

Lets skip the chatting and get right into it.

Brian's E-Brake Cables were living on borrowed time and seeing as this car will be full insured for street use it is required by law here and he wants it.

First pics of nice new E-Brake Cables.  The job got more complex later.

Ebrake and Sway Bar Joint

Another nice Cable

After I got the old cables installed, and started really checking out the old calipers they were partially seizing up.  I told him he cold get the last of the season out of them and then the car would need a complete rear brake overhaul or upgrade before next season but he decided nope NEW PARTS NOW.   Fiero Brakes have gone UP a lot in the past couple years, Total bill without core was 430 bucks, with core it came to nearly 600 bucks. Thats for  1 set of rear pads and 2 rear calipers.  OUCH.   Now Brian Still has the Show Bug in his brain, and had to dress up the calipers, a job that if I knew how much he was going to go nuts on it I might have suggested he do it at a later date instead at the same time as we were installing them.  Just teasing Brain. 

Brian getting the initial adjust on the E-Brake, he never knew that you could do that.

New Calipers Brake Pads and all installed.

Every time I turned my back, Brian was over with the paint re-touching up the calipers, I think he was obbsessed with getting them pretty red.  LOL, that or he was just getting high off the fumes.

BLUE Brake Fluid.  This stuff is great.  Suppose to be better pedal feel and not fade out as quick.  and its BLUE.

Thanks to Dr. Fiero's Power Bleeder it made it much easier.

Just walked around and opened up the bleed screw on each wheel and waited for the clear/black fluid to wash out and clean blue to be moving through.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2010 at 11:01pm

Originally posted by Bassman Bassman wrote:

Yup...next to flush and go with the Dot 4 we put in for the brakes tonight...nice and BLUE

See pics above.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2010 at 11:36pm

Originally posted by Capt Fiero Capt Fiero wrote:

BLUE Brake Fluid.  This stuff is great.  Suppose to be better pedal feel and not fade out as quick.  and its BLUE.

Thanks to Dr. Fiero's Power Bleeder it made it much easier.

Just walked around and opened up the bleed screw on each wheel and waited for the clear/black fluid to wash out and clean blue to be moving through.

Geez, what a great idea for a tech day!

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2010 at 12:32am

That is Craker's private tool that he uses to make his personal income and we would need his permission to use and some sort of deposit if we broke it for a club tech day.

The club on many occasions has thought about buying one just like that as it does brakes, clutches and all sorts of things.  It is a simply amazing tool.  Frankly it would not be that hard to build one and I have thought about it several times.   A semi clear jug capable of holding 30psi, a 3ft rubber line and 6 foot rubber line.  A coupler to hook to an air supply, hardest part is the adapter to go onto the clutch master and brake master.   I took an old clutch master cap and adapted it so I could pressurize it using my air line, however I have no reservoir so I am limited to 2 oz of fluid at a time.   The Brake one would be even harder to build.

Depending on if the club can alter its budget we may consider making it the next club tool purchase. Next Spring, However last year we were in the red and this year we are close to it after the camping trip and Arlington expenses.I think I should start a budget thread, and post up expenses vs income.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic