West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Build Threads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Brian’s Super Clutchnet Race Clutch Swap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2010 at 7:31am
What was the tab for the 'pretty' brake fluid?

Going to guess that it's WAY more than the ~$4/L I'm paying now??  ;)
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2010 at 8:03am

Originally posted by Dr.Fiero Dr.Fiero wrote:

What was the tab for the 'pretty' brake fluid?

Going to guess that it's WAY more than the ~$4/L I'm paying now??  ;)

$15.99lt, MOTUL is $19.99 per 1/2lt:)...we used 1.5lt last night for brakes alone.

http://www.driversedgeautosport.com/ate_superblue.htm

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">
Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2010 at 8:46am
Pricey, yes...  but really....  when you figure none of us even blink dropping ~$50 into the tank to just burn it off in a week.

That $32 for fluid that will last a couple of YEARS is really - chump change.

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2010 at 10:29am

And based on application...normal daily driver fine with Dot 3, as autox.  Mission track though is VERY hard on brakes, you really don't have cool down time, so after 2 laps I started to feel fade which is not good as you have to then adjust.

The ATE is great and has great hot and wet temps, but here is a basic scale was sent to me as a reference:

Dry boiling point Wet boiling point
DOT 3 205 °C (401 °F) 140 °C (284 °F)
DOT 4 230 °C (446 °F) 155 °C (311 °F)
DOT 5 260 °C (500 °F) 180 °C (356 °F)
DOT 5.1 270 °C (518 °F) 190 °C (374 °F)

Wet boiling point defined as 3.7% water by volume.

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2010 at 1:14pm

Originally posted by Patrick Patrick wrote:

Originally posted by Capt Fiero Capt Fiero wrote:

BLUE Brake Fluid.  This stuff is great.  Suppose to be better pedal feel and not fade out as quick.  and its BLUE.

Thanks to Dr. Fiero's Power Bleeder it made it much easier.

Just walked around and opened up the bleed screw on each wheel and waited for the clear/black fluid to wash out and clean blue to be moving through.

Geez, what a great idea for a tech day!

That is Craker's private tool that he uses to make his personal income and we would need his permission to use and some sort of deposit if we broke it for a club tech day.

Oh, I realize John would need to be involved in some capacity and/or at least be compensated in some manner for the use of his Power Bleeder, but I was mostly just expressing an interest in a possible club tech day which could revolve around the idea of flushing club member's Fiero brake/clutch hydraulic systems. 

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2010 at 1:43pm
And "That is Craker's private tool"...scred me for a moment
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2010 at 1:51pm

Originally posted by Bassman Bassman wrote:

And "That is Craker's private tool"...scared me for a moment

That and the fact that he uses it "to make his personal income".

Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2010 at 5:28pm

Well I don't have any distilled water, or I would fire this baby up, however the pedal feel, is amazing.   Car is on the ground, everything is buttoned up, tightened up, checked and double checked.  Only thing left to do is the firewall side spark plugs, change the rotor and cap and she is done.

Lisa and I are heading out for our anniversary dinner tonight, and we will make a quick stop at a store to pick up 2-3 gallons of distilled water to put in the cooling system.  Then tomorrow it is fire up day.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2010 at 7:48pm

Lisa and I are heading out for our anniversary dinner tonight, and we will make a quick stop at a store to pick up 2-3 gallons of distilled water to put in the cooling system.

What a couple of gear heads!

Happy Anniversary you two!

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2010 at 8:16pm

Happy Anniversary!

Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Fire451 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fire451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2010 at 8:38pm

Well I don't have any distilled water, or I would fire this baby up, however the pedal feel, is amazing.   Car is on the ground, everything is buttoned up, tightened up, checked and double checked.  Only thing left to do is the firewall side spark plugs, change the rotor and cap and she is done.

Lisa and I are heading out for our anniversary dinner tonight, and we will make a quick stop at a store to pick up 2-3 gallons of distilled water to put in the cooling system.  Then tomorrow it is fire up day.

has it been 3 years already??????   where the heck does the time go???

Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2010 at 8:49pm
You crazy kids.......don't drink too much of that stuff.

Happy "God are we really married" Day.

DG
You dream it up....I'll make it
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2010 at 9:25pm

Re: UBCSCC/Toyo Track Day #2 - August 2nd, 2010

R888s are a race tire and novices are not permitted to run race tires on their first day.

-Mark

Good thing I am not a novice, I would not be able to run on my R888's...lol, like hazing being a novice

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2010 at 5:55am

Thank You, All of You guys for the wishes of well.  Lisa and I had a great time at dinner and then took a walk down on the beach where we got married.  Unfortunately the tide was in so we could not get to the exact spot of the ceremony, but still a nice walk along Crescent Beach after dinner was a good end to the night.

Ok enough Chatter about mushy stuff lets get back to the thread topic, CARS.  Its 5:30am I am up early to get an early to get a kicken start on the car. I am out in the garage getting revved up about this morning. Gonna light a fire someplace. So in other words.  I am going to kick the tires, light the fires, get the Car started and revved up.

First order of business is change out the front plugs while it is cold, change the cap and rotor, then fire it up, get the scan tool on it, check the sensors then check the timing.  Unfortunately Brian's Balancer had walked and none of the lines on his balancer lined up with the lines on the new balancer so I am praying that at least one of the 3 grooves in the new balancer shows up in a correct spot with the timing gun.

Once everything is good, I'll take the car for a quick test drive and report back here. 

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2010 at 6:22am

I FINALLY slept in, had that first draft budget done and all those figures out of my head for last night at least...your up at 5:30am, OMG...I'll chat with you later as most of my morning will be with my GM reviewing and adjusting numbers.

Very glad you had a enjoyable night

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2010 at 7:27am
As you take it for a test boot....  remember ALL the clutch break in rules!!!
(soft but rapid engagement, no floating it, no engine breaking on downshifts - those are the main ones anyhow)

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2010 at 7:51am
lol, you both are funny at time
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2010 at 8:47am
What?....no burn out?  No smoke?  Who rented this DVD anyway?

:)

DG
You dream it up....I'll make it
Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2010 at 9:24am
So did you do the clutch hydraulics in blue too?

Hows that all working out?  Does the slave look pretty in there? 
It's a nice slave.  Very shiny.  And new.  *cough* 

If it feels like it's getting too toasty, LMK.  I'll bend up a heat shield for it.

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2010 at 10:11am

LOL, no John we have not used your slave yet, I didn't want to open that can of worms unless we had to.  Right now I want to get the NEED things done before the "maybe we should" things.  However yes it is a nice shiny black. 

Just finishing up the last of the stuff, and was changing out the MSD Cap and Rotor.   Looks like he will be doing a dist shaft and pickup coil soon.   However the cool thing, even with all the crud, the MSD rotor had not worn down and was still at full tip length.  

I cleaned up the distributor shaft as best as I could on the car, however when comes out for the pickup coil change it will need to be completely cleaned.   If I end up with extra time today I may just pull it.  However I am trying to get all the NEED TO BE DONE things first.  Like the 3 firewall plugs.  Brian you remember the nightmare with the front plugs, I have ran into the same thing with the rear ones.  I may have to lower the cradle to get more leverage.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic