Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Build Threads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Brian’s Super Clutchnet Race Clutch Swap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2010 at 11:08am

Wow...Dawg distributor rebuild...hhmmm, that's a nice winter project

I certainly hope to squeeze out by 4pm David...I'll call you when on my way.

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2010 at 6:04pm
That's gotta be one of the roughest looking distributors I've ever seen.  Just look at the crud coming off the coil.  Holy sh*t.

When you get a chance, bring that poor thing to me for some luvin....:)

Or....I've even got a jacked up rebuilt on the shelf as we speak.  Could bring it to Dave's tonight.  I want $250 for it.  You can pay me after the race season is over.

DG
You dream it up....I'll make it
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2010 at 11:14pm
Thanks for offer Dawg, swapped & rebuilt one that David had as I already had the parts with exception of heat sink and magnets...honestly for $250 I would more than likely buy a new MSD distributor
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2010 at 11:18pm

Pics and write up from the day.

Well I took the car for several runs around the town, then we took it for a couple drives, then he took it for a drive, then I drove it to his house 20kms away, while he followed in his other car, then he drove me back in the Fiero to my place and he is on his way back to his place.  He is going to take it for a long cruise tomorrow before hitting the track on Saturday.  To be frank this clutch has so much bite, that even if it did not get seated perfectly, it would still be fine.  Without even dropping it hard, it has the ability to spin the R888's that are on the car now. 

Ok well I should post the final wrap up info and pics from the day, so here goes.  Sorry I did not get pics of the new MSD wires, it was getting dark by the time we got the final tune on the car and frankly I could have used another day of turning to get it perfect.

More on that as time goes on.

Ok first pics, this was a back woods attempt at repairing the boots on the old MSD wires, wrapped in shrink tube.  It didn't work as there must have been internal issues as well.  The boots were stretched to the point that a few of them had small tears.  The shrink tube worked wit the heat, just not the internal stuff.  So a new MSD 8.5mm Superconductor kit was bought, then spent the better part of an hour and a half building the new wires.

Now for the plugs.  Note all 3 have different burn patterns, its because all 3 had slightly different gaps.  Obviously the widest gap was running the leanest and is bleach white, the other 2 are normal to slightly rich.

Last pics were my answer to the bad dist shaft.  Took a spare old one out of my dist shafts bin, ground the body smooth, then polished it wit the wire wheel, and wiped it down with degrease.  Turned out pretty good.  I sat down with Brian and showed him how to rebuild the dist shafts so he was pleased that he will be able to do that in the future without having to come and pay someone to do it for him.  It now has a new Delco Module, and new Pickup Coil.

All is well wit the car and I hope he will be happy with it for a good time to come.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2010 at 11:23pm

I just got a email reply from Frank at drivers Edge...for those with GA brakes and would like performance rotors & pads, he can get in:

DBA brake rotors, which are available for the Beretta in the slotted 4000 series: $131 per rotor: http://www.dbadirect.com.au/6x6-wiper-slot

And Hawk HPS Pads for $56 per axle set: http://www.hawkperformance.com/performance/hps.php

I am VERY happy with the feel with the ATE fluid and so looking forward to this weekend, Saturday - Monday I'll be autox & track on Monday...Monday will be the test:)...I will upgrade to these next year:).

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2010 at 11:38pm
Really?  Aren't they almost twice the price?  And you still don't get a heat sink.....<wink>

I'm just glad to see you race ready.  Give'im hell!

DG

Originally posted by Bassman Bassman wrote:

honestly for $250 I would more than likely buy a new MSD distributor
You dream it up....I'll make it
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2010 at 11:44pm

Thanks Dawg, MSD does not make them anymore anyways...and no heat sink, PCA post from the organizer:

Just setup today's course. It's simple to run for novices, but challenging to find the right line for experienced drivers. It's definitely a 2nd gear course. It's starting to get extremely difficult to come up with new ideas!!!

Sunday's course will be a bit faster and more like a road course.

see ya'll tomorrow.

remember to bring sunscreen!!!

Then Mission on Monday, that's where I will push it with all the work, new clutch, brakes and tread plus much more, different car, have to get the launch from dead start dialed in:)...night all

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic