Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Build Threads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Brian’s Super Clutchnet Race Clutch Swap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brian’s Super Clutchnet Race Clutch Swap
    Posted: 19 July 2010 at 10:22pm

Ok this marks the start of the official Brian's Clutchnet 6 puck, Spring Hub Race Clutch with Red Level x2 Pressure plate, I will do my best to take pics of each step and include all the info that I can in order to show people the tips and tricks of doing one in a driveway without anything but a good hydraulic jack and jack stands.

Enough Chatter the Gaze at the Awesomeness of this clutch and parts.

The Disc, note that the springs are completely covered, zero chance they will pop out.

The Pressure plate is made from even stronger rivets that normal, really mazing size and it simply feels stronger. 

Even got them to send up a new throwout bearing

The Parts together

Brian delivered the new Trans that was freshly rebuilt as well as the new resurfaced flywheel to go in.

We figured new plugs and a fresh rotor and cap will be in order as well

Lots of chemicals and greasers and such, you can see the new UR5 Spark plugs.

The new Harmonic Balancer, which in my opinion looks better than a new OEM one

Even decided to do an oil change and move to all synthetic oil.

With Luck the car will be here at 8pm tomorrow and we will get started on everything.  There are a lot more side jobs to do done on top of the clutch job, so we will post those up as we get to them, like showing how the auto tensioner works on the Fiero, and the Rodney DIckman 4spd shift improver kit.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2010 at 10:27pm
Dave, don't forget I want the buggered balancer to play with...k?

DG
You dream it up....I'll make it
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2010 at 10:29pm
So long as Brian is cool with it, I don't see any problems.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2010 at 10:40pm
Party at David's! I might stop in after work, if you guys are still working.
Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2010 at 10:44pm

Awesome David...so pumped

Additional planned work:

- Front & rear brakes, new fluid (DOT 3)...would love to upgrade, next year with the brakes

- New E-brake cables

- Coolant change

- Clutch fluid (DOT 5)

- Ordered the manifold gaskets, etc...so close to order the Truleo kit less the intake...next year

DG, we can talk...could use that heat sink kit of yours, gotta find ways to cool down for track days

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2010 at 10:34am

Here are pics of the car itself.

[

Amazing Tires, these are not the full slicks, but still have great traction.

MSD 6AL-2 Ignition box with dual stage Rev limiter and Launch Control

The 3.2 V6 with a ton of mods.

Interior center gauges are Water Temp, Oil Pressure and Air / Fuel Ratio

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2010 at 10:50am

Tires are Toyo R888 which are 100 treadwear, they have only one autox day on them from last weekend, so still slippery.  My KUHMO V710's died but were a 30 treadwear, plan next yeat for another set on different rims, then the V710's for autox, and these R888's for track.

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2010 at 1:59pm

Just a mid afternoon update.

Exhaust y pipe is unbolted, main harness unbolted, heater hose removed from water pump, battery un-bolted various heat shields and cooler tubes removed, dog bone is removed from engine side. Slave is removed (left attached to bracket and did not crack the hydraulic lines.

Strut tower bolts and brackets are removed. 

I think all the little stuff is removed and out of the way, ready to start dropping this thing.  Can't wait to see the type and status of the current clutch.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2010 at 2:54pm
Oh baby:)...after the way my work day has been, I am out of here at 5pm and will shoot over as quick as possible to help:)...call you when enroute
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2010 at 5:28pm

Just in from last weekend...check out the camera location, need to get me a few of these puppies in HD http://www.goprocamera.com/products

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2010 at 10:27pm

Ok its quarter after 10 at night and I am still in the garage, we just called it quits for the night.  I am too tired to write up a full day wrap up so here is the short version.  

(Note Was nice to meet FarmboyK from Manitoba, as he stopped by today and helped me while I was dropping the cradle, Brian arrived around 5pm and helped out until nearly 10pm.)

Car is up, everything unhooked, trans is out.  Clutch, Pressure Plate and Flywheel were all BLUE from heat scoring and slipping, however oddly the disk was not worn to the bone. Went to put new flywheel on and realized the one that we sent out to get re-surfaced ahead of time, would not work.  Idiot me, didn't realize until the last min that his is a neutral balance flywheel and the one we sent out was from an 86 Fiero with a stock 2.8. (his is a 3.1)  So we had to stop on the trans at that point, so we moved on.   Removed the 3 rear plugs to find out they were all under gapped at .045 when with his MSD Ignition it should have been .060 also found that the plugs had not been tightened in the last time they were installed, so 2 out of 3 were leaking a small amount of exhaust out the plug holes. (plugs were also blue at the socket end)  We then  removed the old damaged harmonic balancer and installed new one. 

Found that several of the oil pan bolts had also worked there way loose about 1 turn each, so they were snugged down.

Found that the Cam Cover gasket is leaking a small amount of oil so it will be replaced tomorrow after a run to the parts store.

Well here are the pics.   Have a good night, I am heading for the shower and to bed.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2010 at 11:35pm
If you get your distributor to me soon and buy the heat sink, I'll install it for ya.  And test the output of your pickup coil to make sure everything is ok.

DG

Originally posted by Bassman Bassman wrote:

5)

DG, we can talk...could use that heat sink kit of yours, gotta find ways to cool down for track days

You dream it up....I'll make it
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2010 at 7:04am
David has it all ready for pick up...I was going to email ya but too tired form last night...not sure where to but the heat sink, etc., can chat later, off to work...cheers
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2010 at 8:20pm
Hmm... This all looks vaguely familiar, but with more red. Can't quite put my finger on it though...
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2010 at 9:58pm
Yep its exactly like yours right down to the wrong pressure plate and installing the tranny twice, trying to make it work.  Its coming out again and we are trying to clearence the bell housing to make this one work, while at the same time, trying to get in touch with Oleg at Clutchnet to get him to Air-Freight a new pressure plate.  Brian has over $700 in pre regestration fee's already paid for his up coming track days.  We can't wait another week for parts.  
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2010 at 10:12pm
None of the yellows we got will fit if it gets down to the wire?
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2010 at 11:26pm

Originally posted by Capt Fiero Capt Fiero wrote:

...trying to get in touch with Oleg at Clutchnet to get him to Air-Freight a new pressure plate.

Aw man, not AGAIN !!!

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2010 at 11:39pm
For some reason my PC login messed up, David can post the email I
sent...on my iPhone currently
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2010 at 11:47pm

Brians Email

Sent: July-22-10 10:56 PM
To: sales@clutchnet.com
Cc: 'Capt Fiero'
Subject: RE: Brian Browne Wrong Pressure Plate for 86 Fiero GT V6 with 4spd Manual Transaxle
Importance: High

Oleg,

I am lost for words on how angry we are, this is not the first order that our club has from you, nor is it the first screw up on the pressure plate.  I spoke with you personally, reminded you of the past problems, you remembered this and said there will not be a problem.

You need to speak with David ASAP tomorrow and advise him if there is any way for us to modify, or you ship and have a new one by this Saturday July 24th, if not:

1)      I want a full refund processed by Monday July 26th to my credit card so I can place an order with another company that will provide correct parts, and you can pick up what we have as it’s no good to us at all!

2)      I want compensation for the race registrations of close to $700 CAD that I will not be able be able to attend, and NO f**kING REFUNDS!, never mind the time and wasted energy that we are experiencing currently...I can provide you the receipts so you can write it off with your business

This is more than a mistake, this is carelessness...David has provided you so much information and details, then we even speak and remind you and still have this all messed up...then wait 3 weeks for this, not impressed!.  We were so excited and posted how nice everything looked, etc., we should have everything running as of tonight and start to break it in as I am registered starting next Saturday for 3 days straight in racing, and the first two days on a team...now they are out and have to find another driver...there are many people involved that will be affected Oleg, never mind David who will have my car sitting at his place for a longer period!

Speak to David, I look forward to your reply and outcome.

Brian Browne

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2010 at 11:48pm

P.S. I am going to bed, wll have my cel on my nightstand in case he calls very early.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic