West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » General Fiero Chat » General Talk about Fieros
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!! LOUD NOISESS!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!! LOUD NOISESS!!!!
    Posted: 24 July 2010 at 3:46pm

SSSSOOOOOOOOPPPERRRR ANGRY (As David already knows)!

I went out to Pick-A-Part(y) last weekend with Patrick, where I met our lovely new couple and picked myself up a 96amp alternator. Well, today at the shop I had nothing else to do, so I popped the pulley off and gutted the internals so I could spray paint the outside with a faux-chrome spray paint. Well, that started the downhill slide into insanity.

Right off the bat I noticed there was no spring behind the brushes, so the brushes just kind of sat there limply. So, I gutted my old alternator for it's springs. Then I noticed the back brush was... Well, half gone. Whatever, I could live with a limited life span. So I continued on. Well, then I noticed that the pulley wouldn't line up properly, so I swapped around the shaft spacers until it lined up. However, once torqued, it wouldn't spin, so I had to add in even more spacers. Ok, so I got all that nonsense fixed (Whilst managing to cut myself in three different places, and busting the daylights out of my elbow) so then it was time to reassemble. Well, that brought a whole new level of frustration as nothing lined up, everything popped out of place and one of the brushes got stuck way too far down, and that meant ripping everything back down to base components. By the end of my shift, I was just trying to line it up and put it back in (Which resulted in a sprained wrist) which brought me right up to the point of wanting to hit myself in the face with a wrench. Eventually, I did end up getting it in, which would have been where the frustration ended... If all the effort would have fixed the issue. Or if it would have even broken even.

But it didn't, it made things worse, as now the alternator doesn't charge at all, and I had to limp the car home trying to avoiding using the brakes as the brake lights would drain the already low battery.

So. Unbelievably. Livid.

Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Fire451 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fire451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2010 at 4:18pm

well I guess the next step would be getting a alt rebuild kit and doing a redo of the procedure  

I feel for ya have been there before, at least your car isn't a auto otherwise you whould be doing all of that while trying to get it back in the car at the same time

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2010 at 4:25pm

I know I have to do it all over again... Which depresses me. Maybe I could just strap a solar panel to the roof instead.

Problem = Solved.

Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2010 at 4:51pm
That really sucks.  Like Chris said, a rebuild kit will come with all the spare parts you will need, and if all else fails I might have a spare alternator kicking around to rob things from.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2010 at 5:14pm
I'll pick one up tomorrow. I don't even want to look at Gretchin for the rest of today.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2010 at 9:20pm

If you can find a jumper box, hook that to the car, a jumper box will keep a car running long enough that you can make it to here.  So long as you do most of the re and re, I'll help you with the details. To be honest, a full removal, rebuild and re-install should take less than 1hr start to finish.

Do you have a battery charger, go out and put the car onto charge tonight get that battery fully charged and hit the road here in the morning.  Either that or call AAA.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2010 at 10:46pm
No AAA left, will just jump it from my mama's Jeep for a few minutes before I go. Then full throttle, no brakes the whole way there.
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2010 at 11:28pm

To be honest, might just grab a rebuild kit and do it myself tomorrow. The main problem I have is where the brushes lay, the holes to put mechanic's wire through have snapped open, so they're a skank to set.

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2010 at 3:14pm

Well, hopped and skipped my way into Lordco today (Whilst enjoying the Edmonds Street Show 'n' Shine). I went on in and spoke with the one lady there I always speak to. Asked for an alternator rebuild kit for the Delco-Remy 96amp Alternator. They didn't have any! They wont until tomorrow! And it's no longer $11, with her employee discount (Hehe, flirted my way to the absolute lowest price possible. ) it's still $18 (Normally $28!). WHY IS THIS HAPPENING?

Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2010 at 6:54pm
God I just figured out what's happening!

You've lost your MOJO!  I hate to be the one to have to tell you that buddy......:)

DG
You dream it up....I'll make it
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2010 at 10:50pm
So what you're telling me is I need to pic up another waitress and everything will be good? Damn man, that'll take too long, we don't have a meeting for weeks yet.
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2010 at 11:28pm
sh*t you're right!......Wait....I'm thinking.......I'm thinking.......

Nothing's happening.....

DG
You dream it up....I'll make it
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2010 at 1:22am

Originally posted by Romeo Romeo wrote:

Asked for an alternator rebuild kit for the Delco-Remy 96amp Alternator...  $18

Let's get this straight - You're about to pay $18 for a rebuild kit to use on a newly rebuilt alternator (Bosch) which you bought a week ago with a 30 day warranty at Pick-a-Part for $17.95

Am I missing something here?

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2010 at 12:06am

Patty that "newly rebuilt" alternator was newly rebuilt without some components, namely, springs for the brushes.

Well David, alternator functions fantastic. The whole car is working great at the moment. So well I kept up with an Audi street-racing on the highway. Despite her mechanical aptitude, I'll not be driving Gretchin tomorrow. Or the day after. Or for a while. See, about two blocks from my house I was randomly stopped by a policewoman, who promptly informed me I haven't had a license since March (An intriguing concept, given that I got a speeding ticket in April). She phoned in a tow truck to take my car to the impound lot. Two blocks from my house. After about a quarter of an hour of begging and pleading to just let me call a parent to drive my car home, explaining that a student's budget doesn't quite allow for a tow bill, and impound fees, she finally gave in, and my mother drove my car home while the police woman took my license.

Well, that really sucks.

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2010 at 12:22am
HOLY CRAP THAT SUCKS.  How come you don't have a lisc?  Did it just expire and you forgot to renew? Or was this a pulled thing due to driving habbits?   Crap man that really really sucks donky balls.  Did she give you a big ticket?
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2010 at 12:30am

Patty that "newly rebuilt" alternator was newly rebuilt without some components, namely, springs for the brushes.

Geez, those BCIT grads turn up just about everywhere.

...about two blocks from my house I was randomly stopped by a policewoman, who promptly informed me I haven't had a license since March

Ummm... I'm confused. Why don't you have a license?

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2010 at 1:19am
Thats what I want to know, why don't you have a lsic in the first place.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2010 at 7:54am
I don't know yet, staying home from work today so I can speak with ICBC. I wouldn't have lost it due to driving habits, before April I never had a ticket of any kind, I'm thinking when I went in for my last Medical/Diabetes, the form was lost somewhere down the pipeline and thus someone didn't renew the license. I'm still curious to know though, having supposedly lost my license in March, how I got pulled over and given a speeding ticket without issue a month later...
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2010 at 8:55am

Originally posted by Dawg Dawg wrote:

You've lost your MOJO!

I'm afraid that might be the only rational explanation for what's been happening to Tristan lately.

Or...

It's karma payback for "swelled head" syndrome.

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2010 at 9:03am

I can't belive she couldn't tell you why, that really blows, lets just hope its something simple and you get back on the road soon.  Did she wrte you a ticket or anything?

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic