West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Build Threads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Brakes.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brakes.
    Posted: 04 August 2010 at 6:27pm

That is my teaser image for my upcoming safety upgrade. All I will say is that they're large. They absolutely DWARF the Fiero brakes.

Stay tuned, the whole system should be done by the weekend.

Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2010 at 7:49pm
Good to see
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2010 at 10:20pm
Yeah, I must admit, the fact that two-footing my brake pedal still wont lock the tires is mildly concerning. This I'm thinking will have the opposite issue. So. Damn. Big.
Fire451 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fire451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2010 at 10:21pm

you could also go HUGE with the brakes like these:

http://www.zeckhausen.com/Subaru/WRX_STi.htm

nothing like 14" brakes with 6 piston calipers

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2010 at 10:25pm
Why stop at 14"? There's 15" brakes in abundance, and even 16" on the Veyron SS, but seeing as how my adorable little engine can't generate enough gusto to get me to speeds where I need to worry about anything larger than I have, it's not worth the rotating mass. Next on my shopping list would be two-piece rotors, and maybe one day, silicon carbide rotors.
Fire451 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fire451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2010 at 10:32pm

you know you want them..... lol

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2010 at 6:32am
Sonthing concerning with cheap big brakes...no such thing, so interested to see what you turn out
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2010 at 7:28am
I think you'll like it. And the money I have in them should astound you, concerning how little of it I've put in.
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2010 at 8:55am

Originally posted by Romeo Romeo wrote:

I think you'll like it. And the money I have in them should astound you, concerning how little of it I've put in.

I am VERY interested to know more

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2010 at 9:05am

Originally posted by Romeo Romeo wrote:

...the money I have in them should astound you, concerning how little of it I've put in.

Better not have acquired them through the Midnight Parts Express !

< Picturing a Ferrari in Tristan's neighborhood up on blocks >

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2010 at 10:04pm

I assure you, no cars were harmed in the making of this project.

As it stands, the company that was due to sell me my calipers came to the astute realization that they don't have any. Going to phone up a secret place tomorrow that I'm fairly certain will have what I require, though this may bump the costs up slightly. To date, I have less than $200 for rotors, pads and metal, and will be investing around another $300 to completion. Will all be worth it in the end.

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2010 at 5:47pm

Well, looking for a reach-around with calipers, as the only place selling what I need knows as much, and has since doubled their asking price having realized that.

Not pleased. Trying to find another option.

Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2010 at 7:06pm
If you actually SAID exactly what you NEED it might be easier to find it.

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2010 at 12:03am
Nono, wont be something anyone in the club has, nor the junkyard. Friend of mine might have exactly what I need though, I'll phone him tomorrow.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2010 at 12:09am

What's with the cloak and dagger stuff? Is this to try and draw our attention away from the, ahem... other thread?

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2010 at 10:07am
Originally posted by Patrick Patrick wrote:

What's with the cloak and dagger stuff? Is this to try and draw our attention away from the, ahem... other thread?

"THE HAND"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bkYdLnuGGg

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2010 at 7:08pm

Izzz suspenz...

DOM DOM DOMMMMMM.

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2011 at 4:36pm

Well, for those of you who remember this, I've finally given up on the dream of using Corvette calipers, as I can't seem to find them in a junkyard anywhere. Luckily, that means I've only wasted a tiny amount on the metal cost of some aluminum brackets I cut up.

Instead, I've noticed Brembo sells off racing calipers (Go to caliper section) that don't actually fit any car stock - they're just generic calipers. I'm going to pick up a four-piston set (They have six, eight and twelve sets as well, but that's waaaaay too much for me) and cut up another adapter set at work. Cost should be just slightly less than buying a refurbished Corvette set, but these are brand new, more powerful and extremely light (The pistons are titanium for goodness sakes), which to me is worth a little bit of extra work. All things said and done, the calipers cost $550, which is well past double everything else I've spent so far ($180 for semi-metallic pads, and basic iron rotors; $22 for aluminum, although considering making the brackets out of titanium for strength as well at a cost of ~$60).

Stay tuned as I figure out how to make it work, and completely blow my original intention of staying below $500 total cost involved. lol

Linlor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linlor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2011 at 5:33pm
Romeo;

I did  the 11.25" brake upgrade on my 355 project.  It was pretty darn easy to do.

I even retained the rear parking brake and I used front 11.25" rotors vs. the usual rear rotors so there is more stopping surface on the fronts.

I made up an aluminum kidney to fit the calipers out to the right distance for the fronts and had the front hub carriers machined to a flat surface for the kidney to sit on.

Here is a drawing of the kidney and I can send you more pics of the brake setup if you want.

I am very happy with the 11.25" upgrade and they fill the 18" rims quite nicely.

Cheers
Don

Ferrari 308 Replica
Prova 5000s Countach Replica
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2011 at 6:09pm
Not to sound picky, but I do already have the rotors for the 12" brakes, which I'd prefer to keep if possible, I'm wondering how hard it would be to play around with the design to push the calipers out a slight bit more to accomidate the larger diameter. And yeah, one of the things I really liked about the Corvette swap is that it retained the stock e-brake design, although if I switch to the brembos, I may need to look in to a hydraulic handbrake instead...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic