West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Events Section » Meetings, and Events Info
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Whistler club run 2010

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whistler club run 2010
    Posted: 16 August 2010 at 11:29am

This weekend is the club run to Whistler. It’ll be taking place on Saturday, August 21st. Dave will be along shortly with further details, but I just wanted to get a reminder out there as it’s now only five days away. [EDIT] Just a few hours now!

Here’s a link to the thread covering the last Whistler club run which took place two years ago. Looks like it was fun for everyone involved, so this year should be no different. Actually it should be even better, as all the upgrades to the Sea to Sky highway are now complete.

I originally wasn’t going to go, as I’m in the midst of dog-sitting my girlfriend’s husky for three weeks. However, Frankie was just fine when I took her to the club meeting last Saturday, so what the heck, it’s off to Whistler next for the two of us.

I’ve lived in Vancouver my entire life (54 years!) and have never been to Whistler. I’m looking forward to this!

Austin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Austin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2010 at 12:15pm

Oh oh! I'm in!  

1986 Fiero GT 3.4L V6 DIS, 5 spd, Full Polyurethane Suspension, Rear Coil-overs
kharmata View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kharmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2010 at 12:24pm
Count me in!
I am excited to convoy with a bunch
of awesome rides! Hopefully you guys can support a fellow
with little knowledge of finding out where to go. As for a
radio are you just talking regular 2 way style? I think I
have an older motorola with 10km range...?

oh and as to the rate of speed mentioned as "spirited"...I
suggest this be determined prior to leaving as some will
obviously enjoy exceeding the speed limit and others like
myself will try not to abuse it - too much ;-). Cheers
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2010 at 12:44pm

Originally posted by kharmata kharmata wrote:

As for a radio are you just talking regular 2 way style? I think I have an older motorola with 10km range...?

It needs to be a GMRS radio, not the older FRS style. The club uses channel #20 while on a run.

Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2010 at 12:47pm
Michelle and I will be there unless Hell freezes over.....(It has been known to happen)

DG
You dream it up....I'll make it
kharmata View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kharmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2010 at 12:47pm
I will have check what mine actually is. I hear they are
inexpensive as well anyways...
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2010 at 12:51pm

Ok am just running out the door, so quick reply

Saturday August 21st

Meeting McDonald's just North of Trans Canada on Willingdon in Burnaby. 10am.  GMRS Radios on Chanel 20.      

We may make a fuel stop in or around Vancouver someplace.

Taking Trans Canada Westbound and then heading North to Whistler.

We will be stopping at Port O Cove (sp)

Then unless we have an issue with a car or get lost next stop will be Whistler, we will head straight towards the village and try to find parking as close to the main village as possible.  Probably browse around and find some lunch, then do some more shopping head for the cars.

Trip down, we may stop at Shannon Falls for a quick break. 

Possibly another stop for fuel / bathroom and drinks in or around Squamish.

Then head towards Vancouver.  A dinner stop is possible if more than a couple people want to do that. 

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2010 at 12:59pm

Originally posted by Capt Fiero Capt Fiero wrote:

Meeting McDonald's just North of Trans Canada on Willingdon in Burnaby. 10am.

Dave, I admit I wasn't paying attention at the club meeting last Saturday regarding the Whistler run (because I didn't think I'd be going), but was it actually decided to wait until 10am to meet?

Two years ago the meeting time for the Whistler run appeared to be 8am (from what I read) which seems like a better time to be under way. I know for our trip to Arlington, the fact that we got a nice early start made the drive down there much more fun (with fewer cars on the road).

Not trying to cause problems, just wondering!

Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2010 at 1:06pm

Yes 10am is the agreed on time.  Yes it is a later start and there will be more traffic on the road.  However I think the turnout will be better with the 10am start as the 2008 run, some people did not come simply because they did not want to get up that early on a Saturday. 

I guess with the extra traffic there will be less opportunity to do any serious speeding, be that good or bad depending on your point of view.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2010 at 1:12pm

Yes 10am is the agreed on time.

Okay, well let's hope that everyone who's going actually gets to our staging location no later than 10am then so we're not waiting around even longer for stragglers.

Austin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Austin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2010 at 2:47pm

I guess with the extra traffic there will be less opportunity to do any serious speeding, be that good or bad depending on your point of view.

Once we get on the Sea to Sky, traffic shouldn't be an issue as a great majority of the roads to Whistler are double lanes now.  If anything we should be concerned about cops waiting around the next corner!

1986 Fiero GT 3.4L V6 DIS, 5 spd, Full Polyurethane Suspension, Rear Coil-overs
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2010 at 6:56pm
Hey all...have fun if the 21st is still the date, it's my Mom's Bday...have fun
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2010 at 7:06pm
Michelle and I did the Peak to Peak gondola thing last year and it was fabulous!  For $39.95 here:

http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/tickets/summer/index.htm

you get to ride up as high as you want and stay on either peak as long as you want and ride back down the opposite peak.

We did Whistler first which includes the very peak and then had a bite to eat at the roundhouse.  Went across to Blackcomb and hung out for a little while and then a magical ride down.

I can't say enough about how cool it was.  If you rushed you could probably do it all in a couple hours.

Any interest?

DG

You dream it up....I'll make it
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2010 at 7:55pm

Originally posted by Bassman Bassman wrote:

Hey all...have fun if the 21st is still the date, it's my Mom's Bday...have fun

Heck, bring her along. If Kirsten would also be coming, then I'm sure we could find a spare seat for Mom. I've got the hound, but Tristan could use the company. Might even help keep his speeding on the highway in check.

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2010 at 8:06pm

My mom is cool and all, but she hates driving, I truly have to do the speed limit or less...lol

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2010 at 8:10pm

Oh well, it was just a suggestion. I'm trying to figure a way for you to make the journey.

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2010 at 11:20am

Originally posted by Dawg Dawg wrote:

It appears as though the weather could be bad for Saturday....:(

If so, can we push it one week?

DG

Enviorment Sites say only a 40% chance of 1mm of rain.  That is barley enough to even turn on a windshield wiper.   We will make the announcment on Thursday if the rain amounts increase to 5mm or more with a 70% chance or more, we will postpone.  Otherwise the date is still on.

As the rain clouds start to gather, it looks like the weather watch for Saturday has begun.

Keep tab on the latest forecast Here and Here.

kharmata View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kharmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2010 at 11:33am
What's wrong with a little weather? I don't want to be
pushy - just excited to drive! ;-)
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2010 at 11:48am

If...and I mean IF I can change my date with my mother to Sunday (It's is her Bday of course), then we may join...will advise Friday night.

Good news is picked up 3 more months of insurance, so storage won't be until November:)

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2010 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by Bassman Bassman wrote:

If...and I mean IF I can change my date with my mother to Sunday (It's is her Bday of course), then we may join...will advise Friday night.

Glad to hear there's a chance that you and Kirsten can come along.

Just don't change your Mom's outing to next Saturday in case the Whistler run is postponed 'til then.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic