West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Technical Questions and Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Suspension and Balance

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2010 at 12:08pm

Colby, I've lost track now of all the links that have been presented, but I imagine you've seen This page (by Ira Crummey) and all the other pages it links to?

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2010 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by Cheese Cheese wrote:

Some good reading relating to this topic here (specifically, shark93726 and Monza76's posts have good info). And finally I find some kind of explanation as to why softer suspensions can improve grip:

Originally posted by <FONT size=+0>shark93726</FONT> shark93726 wrote:

The improvement in traction is obtained because with softer suspension rate, the tires are better able to follow little bumps and jiggles in the road without losing traction. (If the surface of the road were absolutely smooth, then there would be no need to soften suspensions, and a go-cart with no suspension would stick as well as suspened cars)

The more I learn the more I appreciate how complicated of a subject this is.

This is a bit misleading, as repeatative bumps will still prefer a stiff suspension for performance (Listen to LMP crew chiefs. When racing at a place like Sebring they actually dial in more rebound stiffness). Remember, the suspension is what pushes the tires back down after they go up from a bump. You don't want to skip along the surface, but you don't want to continuously rock up and down either. Another example is Formula 1: They almost never soften the suspension, even on rough tracks like Mugello or Sebring. And the perfectly smooth comment is... Well, it's wrong. Go-Karts very easily lose traction, thanks to their utter lack of suspension, and that's on nice, glass-smooth tracks. Remember, the car doesn't want to turn a corner - it wants to continue straight. The suspension is sort of the comprimise to this behavior. Without it, the car will VERY easily spin out, regardless of road condition.
Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2010 at 12:38pm

Originally posted by Romeo Romeo wrote:

...repeatative bumps

Are those anything like repetitive bumps?

Colby View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2010 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by Patrick Patrick wrote:

Colby, I've lost track now of all the links that have been presented, but I imagine you've seen This page (by Ira Crummey) and all the other pages it links to?

Yes, and it looks like Monza76 (one of the people I pointed out in the thread I linked to) is actually the author of that site.

This is a bit misleading, as repeatative bumps will still prefer a stiff suspension for performance (Listen to LMP crew chiefs. When racing at a place like Sebring they actually dial in more rebound stiffness). Remember, the suspension is what pushes the tires back down after they go up from a bump. You don't want to skip along the surface, but you don't want to continuously rock up and down either. Another example is Formula 1: They almost never soften the suspension, even on rough tracks like Mugello or Sebring.

Consider rally cars, they tend to have softer suspensions and they have to deal with way more bumps than pretty much any other kind of car.

And the perfectly smooth comment is... Well, it's wrong. Go-Karts very easily lose traction, thanks to their utter lack of suspension, and that's on nice, glass-smooth tracks. Remember, the car doesn't want to turn a corner - it wants to continue straight. The suspension is sort of the comprimise to this behavior. Without it, the car will VERY easily spin out, regardless of road condition.

It seems to me to be more an approximation of the truth rather than totally wrong, there is always more to it.

88 Formula 5 speed

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2010 at 4:16pm

It's a common misconception that rally cars have soft suspension. Rally cars have soft shocks, and a tall suspension, but it isn't soft by any stretch of the imagination. And rally sort of follows it's own special guidelines, as the tires will spin before body roll becomes an issue. Like I said, the best approximation is the unpaved air-strip section of Sebring, or the two straights after the main straight of Monza. They're rough as sin, but during those races crew chiefs do not scale back stiffness.

I understand that point on a daily driven vehicle, as when dealing with bumps it's nice if the car soaks up some of the shock, rather than your vertibrae, but performance almost always favours a suspension that is supple enough to let the tires bite down, but stiff enough to fight the car from leaning over too much. And looking at the simulator results, I have a long way to go before that becomes problematic. Hell, even the Koni yellows look like they'd have a tough time being that bad.

And yes Patrick, I think I was caught between wanting to type repeating and repetitive and ended up with both.

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2010 at 4:26pm

And yes Patrick, I think I was caught between wanting to type repeating and repetitive and ended up with both.

That's okay, you just invented a new word!

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2010 at 5:27pm

Yeah, I'm pretty gnarley like that. 

Colby View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2010 at 5:42pm

Like I said, the best approximation is the unpaved air-strip section of Sebring, or the two straights after the main straight of Monza. They're rough as sin, but during those races crew chiefs do not scale back stiffness.

I'm not familiar with those tracks or even very familiar with Formula 1 in general, but if it's the straights that are rough then they wouldn't care about increasing cornering power for those sections. Even if they're not straights, would you sacrifice traction on every other part of the track just so you can go faster around just a couple of the corners? I wouldn't.

... but performance almost always favours a suspension that is supple enough to let the tires bite down, but stiff enough to fight the car from leaning over too much.

That's more or less what I've been saying all along. A stock Fiero doesn't seem to have too much lean, so making the front softer rather than making the rear stiffer should result in a car that has more traction while cornering. I made the mistake of not doing enough research before I bought some of my suspension parts and so I've taken potential traction away from both ends of my car.
88 Formula 5 speed

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2010 at 6:08pm

Like I said, the best approximation is the unpaved air-strip section of Sebring, or the two straights after the main straight of Monza. They're rough as sin, but during those races crew chiefs do not scale back stiffness.

I'm not familiar with those tracks or even very familiar with Formula 1 in general, but if it's the straights that are rough then they wouldn't care about increasing cornering power for those sections. Even if they're not straights, would you sacrifice traction on every other part of the track just so you can go faster around just a couple of the corners? I wouldn't.

... but performance almost always favours a suspension that is supple enough to let the tires bite down, but stiff enough to fight the car from leaning over too much.

That's more or less what I've been saying all along. A stock Fiero doesn't seem to have too much lean, so making the front softer rather than making the rear stiffer should result in a car that has more traction while cornering. I made the mistake of not doing enough research before I bought some of my suspension parts and so I've taken potential traction away from both ends of my car.

The two straights at Monza are still seperated by a left kink, and Sebring is a sweeping right-hander.

Mine does (If you saw at autocross). Although an anti-sway bar may help, it will not totally alleviate the issue. Whatever the weak link in the Fiero's traction is, I'm going to try and concentrate on that until everything is flat as a board around the corners (If I have to Delrin - I will).

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2010 at 6:54pm

A stock Fiero doesn't seem to have too much lean...

While I was watching Tristan slipping and sliding around the track during his final run at the last autocross , I overheard a fella who was also watching talking to his buddy. What he said was something like this...

"Those Fieros go pretty good, but the problem with them is that they lean over so much in the corners."

Seriously, that's what the guy was saying!

Colby View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2010 at 7:13pm

While I was watching Tristan slipping and sliding around the track during his final run at the last autocross , I overheard a fella who was also watching talking to his buddy. What he said was something like this...

"Those Fieros go pretty good, but the problem with them is that they lean over so much in the corners."

Heh, handling is such a subjective thing.
88 Formula 5 speed

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2010 at 8:12pm
Well, I'm off to play with the simulator some more. Get as close as I can to perfection before applying all this to the real world.
Colby View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2010 at 12:04am
Found in the book Chassis Engineering by Herb Adams (interesting parts highlighted in red):

and

In other words, make your suspension as soft as you're able to, given the conditions. Then if you need to, add anti-sway bars to limit roll.
88 Formula 5 speed

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2010 at 12:16am

In other words, make your suspension as soft as you're able to...

So Colby, do you think Herb would approve of the lowered, rather stiff front suspension on my '84?

Colby View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2010 at 12:23am
Well, he seems to advocate cutting springs, but you've really increased the stiffness of yours by cutting two coils. What you could do in the future if you want to make them slightly softer is to find some 85-87 springs and cut off just a single coil instead of two.
88 Formula 5 speed

Colby View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2010 at 12:03pm

Seriously, that's what the guy was saying!

I've been thinking about this a bit and I think I have a better idea of why someone might say that. A stiffer car with little lean will give you a bit more of an instant response to your steering inputs as well as maybe being slightly easier to drive, and in an autox course there are often some sections with lots of tight turns where that could really help, and more traction won't help at all in those situations.

The way I see it though, you're not spending very much time in those sections, and often there are one or more large sweeping turns where you will be spending a lot more of your time in, so if you can go slightly faster around them (due to increased grip) that should result in a faster time overall. Plus I feel a skilled driver might be able to cope with a bit more body roll and less instant response in the tighter parts and go through them about as quick as the guy in the stiffer car with only a bit of roll.

Does that make sense?
88 Formula 5 speed

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2010 at 3:36pm

Does that make sense?

Theory all goes out the window Saturday once we're on the track.

Reflexes and luck will be playing a huge role. A good wheel alignment doesn't hurt either.

Colby View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2010 at 4:24pm

Theory all goes out the window Saturday once we're on the track.

Nah, the point of a good theory is that it explains what you observe. Though I don't have the money to apply it in terms of suspension upgrades, being able to analyse what happened during my run after making certain choices and how the car reacted should help me learn to drive the car faster. Plus I just find it interesting.

Reflexes and luck will be playing a huge role. A good wheel alignment doesn't hurt either.

I hope that alignment helps you. We should both be a bit quicker this time out.
88 Formula 5 speed

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2010 at 4:28pm

All I'm worried about is being able to follow the course. I don't want to get lost out there like I did on my first run at the last autocross.

I was holding back quite a bit last time (being my first autocross and not being familiar with how the car was going to feel while being pushed). I was probably braking too early and starting my turns too late.

I suspect I'll be hitting more than one cone tomorrow.

Colby View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2010 at 4:31pm
lol, study the course well, you'll do fine. At the very least if you get lost, you won't be the only one.
88 Formula 5 speed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic