West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » General Fiero Chat » General Talk about Fieros
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fiero 3D CAD...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote fencerenu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fiero 3D CAD...
    Posted: 28 September 2010 at 3:17pm
Here you go... with fender flares and all.  lol
http://www.fencerenu.com/cars/3dcad/fiero-flares1.3dm
I didn't make it.  I can convert it into different formats for you if you want... just let me know

Fire451 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fire451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2010 at 5:27pm

link doesn't work

fencerenu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fencerenu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2010 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by Fire451 Fire451 wrote:

link doesn't work

-----------------------
Now it works.  oops
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2010 at 9:34pm
Those having difficulty, ensure that it's AutoCAD that opens the file.
Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2010 at 9:34pm
Pardon me, RinoCEROS will also work if you play with the settings.
fencerenu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fencerenu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2010 at 6:12am
if somebody needs a copy for Autocad inventor or solidworks, I can convert i for you.  Just let me know.  :-)

Here it is in inventor:

Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2010 at 3:22pm
The only problem with it is it's not the original construction file.  It's only the "skin".  That file is a triangulated mesh.  It has no vectors or construction lines.  Too bad.

There is a way to get lines from that but it's a ton of work.

But neat anyways....:)

The Dawg (3D modeler guy)

You dream it up....I'll make it
fencerenu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fencerenu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2010 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by Dawg Dawg wrote:

The only problem with it is it's not the original construction file.  It's only the "skin".  That file is a triangulated mesh.  It has no vectors or construction lines.  Too bad.

There is a way to get lines from that but it's a ton of work.

But neat anyways....:)

The Dawg (3D modeler guy)

I can convert it into solids for you... the file that's there is in polygon mesh layers...  If you want it in solids as say an igs file, I can do that... Tell me what you need, Dawg, and let's see what I can do...  :-)
kharmata View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kharmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2010 at 8:35pm

I'll take a copy for Solidworks of what ever you can supply
.igs or .stp -  tough to work with though if it's just imported models.

Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2010 at 8:37pm
I work in Rhino mostly.  So NURBS vectors would be cool.  Try just slicing the mesh into layers running from left to right all along the body.  Let me see what you come up with.

Rhino 3 won't let me do that and I haven't installed 4 yet.  ArtCam can do this but it's a pain.

The Dawg

fencerenu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fencerenu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2010 at 9:46pm
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2010 at 3:09am
I'm not sure you understand where I'm coming from here.  That file still has no construction geometry.  It's just a mesh.

The curves that were used to create those surfaces are needed to be able to manipulate the design.  Much harder working with a mesh.

It's not always easy to go backwards.

The Dawg
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2010 at 8:01am

It's been a while since I played in RhinoCEROS, but I distinctly remember being able to translate CAD files into the proper Rhino objects... Is there nothing on the internet, Damien?

kharmata View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kharmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2010 at 8:44am
As far as I know you can not manipulate an imported object.
The file must be saved as a compatible version and not just
exported for solidworks

The original file/parts that were used to create this
'exported object' is required to create a workable
solution. From what I saw this fiero file was on the web
just like the one here.....
fencerenu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fencerenu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2010 at 9:20am
naw... i know i did... ummmmm  let's see where can i find it... i converted it... i think...
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2010 at 1:13pm
There is, sort of.  But it's not like you choose the file format and push a button.  Sorry, it's not that easy.

The program could never know what it is you want.  When you create a shape like this you either generate a point cloud with a 3D scanner and loft the skin from that or you use curves and lines to guide the program into lofting the exact shape you want.

Very involved and time consuming.

On top of it all, the file is VERY low resolution.  The polygons are HUGE so the surface will be choppy once you scale everything up to proper size.

Not very usable I'm afraid.  Looks neat though.

The Dawg

Originally posted by Romeo Romeo wrote:

It's been a while since I played in RhinoCEROS, but I distinctly remember being able to translate CAD files into the proper Rhino objects... Is there nothing on the internet, Damien?

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2010 at 3:57pm
Ah, ok. I just remember us doing preliminary sketches of something on AutoCAD, then doing a 3D model on Rhino after.
fencerenu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote fencerenu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2010 at 8:08pm
dawg... download mesh to solid 3.0 and use the trial version to transform it.  :-)
RURC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RURC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2019 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by fencerenu fencerenu wrote:

Here you go... with fender flares and all.  lol
http://www.fencerenu.com/cars/3dcad/fiero-flares1.3dm
I didn't make it.  I can convert it into different formats for you if you want... just let me know

I know this is an old thread but I a m looking for a CAD file for the Fiero. My son and I are wanting to 3D print a Fiero slot car body. We use Solidworks. Do  you still have this file or does anyone else have one?
Scudero Fiero The premier Fiero only car club in Florida. Hit us up on FB, YouTube, and Instagram
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic