West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Technical Questions and Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dawg’s head gasket chronicles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2010 at 9:36am
Looking good Dawg.  I'll let you in on a little secret about the CSV later.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2010 at 6:53pm
Didn't get the valve covers on today as hoped.  But decided to make the upper plenum pretty instead.

Man, there's a lot of nooks and crannies on this darn part.  All the cleaning and prep work and multiple coats of paint.  It took way too long......Oh well, it turned out great!

I did the big bore treatment too so I guess that's not too bad then.

It's going to look pretty fancy once it's all assembled.

The Dawg

You dream it up....I'll make it
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2010 at 6:58pm
Thanks buddy.  I finally get to have one of my own modified intake systems.  Yahoo!

CSV? Cold Start Valve?

The Dawg

Originally posted by Capt Fiero Capt Fiero wrote:

Looking good Dawg.  I'll let you in on a little secret about the CSV later.
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2010 at 4:55pm
More progress.

Adjusted the rockers (Couldn't find the info you suggested John).

Installed valve covers and lower plenum.

It's starting to look like something again.

The Dawg

Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2010 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by Dawg Dawg wrote:

Adjusted the rockers (Couldn't find the info you suggested John).

From the site:

Setting Hydraulic Lifter Pre-load (Adjustable Valve Train)

With an adjustable valve train, proceed as follows:

Install the pushrods and rocker arms. Be sure the pushrods are seated correctly in the lifter and rocker arm. Turn the engine over in the direction of rotation until the EXHAUST pushrod just begins to move upward, opening the valve. Now adjust the INTAKE rocker of that cylinder. Carefully tighten the nut on the intake rocker while spinning the pushrod with your fingertips. You will feel a slight resistance in the pushrod when you have taken up all of the clearance. This is “zero lash.” Turn the adjusting nut to the specified pre-load – typically 1/4-3/4 of a turn, but this will vary based on the lifter number.

Turn the engine in its rotation direction until the intake pushrod comes all the way up and almost all the way back down. Now set the EXHAUST rocker to “zero lash” and add the specified pre-load. Repeat this process for all remaining cylinders.

(guess it's too late now though)

Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2010 at 7:55pm
Yup.....ended up just doing the book method.

But the info is here now.

The Dawg

Originally posted by Dr.Fiero Dr.Fiero wrote:

(guess it's too late now though)

kharmata View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kharmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2010 at 2:16pm
Could you guess I really like the Silver on Gold look. No
duh! Looking good.
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2010 at 4:28pm
Thanks.  It did turn out great.

Almost done now!  Just a few bits here and there and it's time to start it up.  If I had had the chance to work on it all day it would be running.  But we need to go to a birthday party so tomorrow will have to do.

The biggest thing left to do is finish the big bore throttle body.  Lots of hand fitting the butterfly valve left to do.

The Dawg

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2010 at 5:01pm

So, do we all get trips around the block to feel the difference?

Good job!

kharmata View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kharmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2010 at 6:15pm
Now the big red dog bone will stand out like a sore thumb.  Sheesh sounds like something Tristan would say.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2010 at 7:05pm

Originally posted by kharmata kharmata wrote:

Now the big red dog bone and coil will stand out like sore thumbs. 

Fixed that for you.

Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2010 at 7:07pm
Just my opinion (for whatever that's worth!) - fill in the "FIERO" with gloss black enamel.

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2010 at 7:15pm

Now the big red dog bone and the coil and the word "Fiero" will all stand out like sore thumbs. 

Fixed that some more for you.

Sorry Damien, we're a bad bunch.

Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2010 at 7:23pm
Na keep the red and add some nice red wires.  IMHO its the blue wires that are the odd duck in the stack.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
kharmata View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kharmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2010 at 8:59pm

Originally posted by Capt Fiero Capt Fiero wrote:

Na keep the red and add some nice red wires. 
  Yup! I agree Keep the red and add a touch more.  No black
And as Patrick says we sure are bad.  Do whatever the hell you want obviously!

Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2010 at 10:05pm
Hahahaha....you guys!

As a matter of fact, Michelle was wanting the Fiero black also but I said I would try it red.  Red being my favorite color of course.

The thick layer of clear coat just makes everything gleam.  It's way better in person.

Hopefully I'll make it to a meeting some time this century to show it off.

The Dawg

Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2010 at 10:17pm
As long as we get to swap cars....:)

Fear not, I will be reporting my findings in detail.  I'm expecting the performance cam will really bring out the best of this big bore mod.  The timing wasn't right for the variable fuel regulator which is too bad.  Maybe this spring.

Thanks, it turned out better than I imagined it would.

Originally posted by Patrick Patrick wrote:

So, do we all get trips around the block to feel the difference?

Good job!

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2010 at 1:16am

Now the big red dog bone will stand out like a sore thumb.  Sheesh sounds like something Tristan would say.

AND JUST WHAT IS THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN, MR KEVIN-GUY? lol

Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2010 at 8:07pm
Good news my homies!  She started up just fine with no issues.  I don't have a timing light so I set things up by ear for now.  It certainly sounds different that's for sure.  I punched the throttle and with no air cleaner it whoops good.

Here's totally finished just about to start.

I made a short video but it's way too big to upload.  I'll try and figure something out.

Happy Days!

The Dawg

2010-10-16_225013_first_start-small.mov
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2010 at 5:28pm
Ok....the car has been taken on it's maiden voyage and WOW, what a difference.  I am amazed how this has changed the throttle response. 
More bottom end for sure and that sound....yummy.  Sounds more throaty, like it's gonna bite someone.

Top end?  That will have to wait till I get everything tuned up.  It always seemed like it wanted to go faster before, now even more so.

On another note, I'm still having some cooling issues.  I've spent the better part of 2 hours "burping" this thing.  I go for a run and come home and open the engines rad cap.  The first few times it spewed a fair bit before calming down.  The last time I did it, it just barely burped and nothing else.

I've got it to the point now where it keeps the car nice and cool for about 10 minutes or so and then the gauge rises into the red quickly then after 10-20 seconds drops right back down.

I've checked for bubbles in the water, there are non to speak of.  The odd gurgle if I shake the car back and forth.  I've purchased a new water pump just in case.  If I can get this sorted out I'll bring it back.

So I know Dave has said he's seen this sort of thing before and that it's vapor lock of some sort.  Anyone have any ideas on how to get it all out?

I'm thinking of parking the car with the front up hill and burping the radiator a few times.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,

The Dawg
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic