West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Build Threads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ferrari 308 Replica Rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linlor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2010 at 1:44am
I haven't posted here for a while so I thought I would update the 308 project.

I have been working a lot on oem replica Ferrari 355 headlight buckets lately but in my down time, I have been progressing on the 308 build.  I have also been traveling quite a bit fr work and will be for most of December.....  Bummer.

I have been concentrating on the headlights trying to figure out how to get the 7" round headlights to fit in properly and work., I came up with using the stock Fiero headlight motor and 6x9 headlight mount as a base and mocked up some plywood and foam to see how everything fit together.

I moved the motor outward a couple inches and forward 3/4" to get it in the right spot and then mocked up a round headlight ring on a piece of thin plywood to see where everything worked out.  It turned out very nicely.

I need to build sides and bottom and a proper front fascia now but I found out that the spray foam for your windows isn't eaten away by fiberglass so instead of buying very expensive 2 part foam, I will head over to Rona or Home Depot and pick up a couple cans....  This foam is not as firm as the 2 part though so you have to take that into account....

Some mock up pics.
Fiero Headlight Motor Mounted outward and forward a bit.

Mocking up the headlight.

Open position front view

Open Position side view

The pics above are from a few days ago.  I took the top off to glass in the front angle tonight so I can finish fitting the tops to the Fiero mounts tomorrow night.

(Grey cup tomorrow so no work during the afternoon....)

I also went after the front clip and the driver's side of the car today to start cleaning up the nicks and bangs from the 20 year old paint job....  I go tteh front clip into priomer to see where ai astil need to so some work to get it all smooth.  It looks really good and has motivated me to keep going. Unfortunately, I start my busy month on traveling on Monday.....

A few more pics of the front clip in primer.  Some edges and more sanding needed but it is looking very nice.

I most likely won't be getting any more significant progress until the New Year now.

Take care all.

Cheers
Don
Ferrari 308 Replica
Prova 5000s Countach Replica
Linlor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linlor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2011 at 1:52am
Once again, I have been away from this forum.  I do most of my updating on the madmechanics.com forum so don't get here much.

I have been busy on the 308 headlight sand have pretty much figured them out.  I will be going with the smaller 5.75" headlight as it doesn't need to lift the headlight bucket as far out of the body so easier to configure to not interfere with the fender louvers.

I found that my current frame with the targa top still has way too much flex to it so I still plan to swap in the '88 frame I got from Dave.  I will have a cheap targa top Fiero for anyone here fairly soon.  You will need to reinforce the frame some but I can show you what needs to be done. I just don't feel like doing it.....

I plan to swap the 88 panels over to this frame including interior as the '88 is in great shape and I have a 308 replica interior.

A few pics to show the updates.  If you want to see more, you can head over to Madmechanics forum and see my updates there as well.

Cheers
Don

Both headlight buckets installed in the car for fitment confirmation before making the headlight mounting plates to go in them.

A mockup of the fascia to see what it will look like with the smaller headlight.  I just used sealing expanding foam to get an idea.  I have proper expanding foam to use when making the final bucks to pull fascia moulds from.

The start of the headlight buckets. These will be cleaned up and cut to shape once I mount both back on the car for fitting.  The black plug coming out the side will be extended to use as a stop for up and down. You can also see an edge of the Ferrari 355 headlight buckets I am working on to be able to produce replica headlights for the 355 guys. Lots of projects going at the same time.

Ferrari 308 Replica
Linlor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linlor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2011 at 4:21pm
A few more updates and progress.

I have the passenger side headlight bucket fascia in foam and a couple layers of bondo on it in order to pull a mould so I can get a fiberglass piece to clean up.

I will be doing the driver's side tonight and I don't plan on having the headlight in the driver's side to pour the foam for the fascia as I found the headlight in the way. I'll cut the headlight hole after I get the fascia ready for bondo.

I have also cut more aesthetically pleasing fender vent holes and working on the passenger door to fix the broken fiberglass.  I also started on some moulds of for the side scoops so that I can have more accurate side scoops instead of the flat holes the replicas have.  I plan to mould the existing scoop and then pour some foam on the mould and shape more accurate scoops and then pull a piece for the mould and then graft that in.  I can do the grafting when I take the body panels off to move over to the '88 frame.

A few pics.

Cheers
Don

Headlight pics

Ferrari 308 Replica
beken View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote beken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2011 at 4:23pm
Looks like it's coming along. Slow but surely.   

Beken (aka Ken) - bekentech@westcoastfieros.com   Original and still the owner of an 85SE 2M6 4spd
Linlor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linlor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2011 at 4:26pm
The fender vent holes and the moulds for the side scoops.  I still need to add in some 45* plates at the top edges which will effectively become the top most vent stringer or whatever they are called.

Cheers
Don

Pics stopped uploading.  I'll try again in another reply.

Thanks
Don

Ferrari 308 Replica
Linlor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linlor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2011 at 4:28pm
Nope,  pics stopped working for me.  I'll try later or maybe wait til I have the moulds off the car and the foam shaped.

Don

Ferrari 308 Replica
Nexus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nexus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2011 at 3:23pm

keep the updates coming!!

Charlie
84 SE
Linlor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linlor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2011 at 12:32am
I have been quiet but busy.....

I finished off the foam and bondo work on the headlights fascias and pulled the passenger side and rough trimmed to see how it looks in the car.

Looks pretty darn good in my opinion..,,,, Just need to clean it up and make a proper circle for the headlight with recesses for the adjuster screws and I am good to clean, sand and prime.

I have one off or few use moulds built for the fascias but I have not built moulds for the headlight buckets at all. Not sure I will unless I get a bunch of people wanting them for retrofits into the Fieros or something.

I can still build Hugh his headlight buckets if he wants to go ahead with the front conversion with someone (maybe me if I get mine done and out to paint by April) but the moulds won't do much more than a few parts and then be unworkable.  They were really meant to be one offs so I could get the fiberglass to finish up the shapes a bit easier than sanding and bondoing foam.

I also found a what seems to be a great body guy to help me get the car prepped and then painted.  I have a lot of waves in the older fiberglass so he showed me how to work through all the waves properly and then some other tricks.  I plan on doing the major grunt work like sanding off all the old paint and then have him come in and make it pretty and get it into paint for me.

I have also been hard at work on retrofitting 355 Ferrari headlight buckets to accept Cavalier Headlights so us 355 kitcar guys don't have to pay $1500 each for a bucket and $1000 each for lights.....

A couple pics of they progress on those

I took oem 355 headlight buckets and moulded them and then retrofitted Cavalier Headlights into them so we can pay $130 instead of $1000 for replacement headlights.  Also about $600 for a set of the finished buckets rather than $1500 each.

Cheers
Don
Ferrari 308 Replica
Nexus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nexus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2011 at 4:57am

Coming along nicely!!

Great work so far

Charlie
84 SE
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2011 at 5:13pm
You haven't forgotten about the hubs you bought have you?  They're right on my bench waiting for ya.

The Dawg
You dream it up....I'll make it
Fiero308 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fiero308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2011 at 8:43pm
I still most definitely want to do the front conversion on
my car. So does this mean I can pencil you in for May?
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2011 at 10:19pm
Once Don picks up his hubs and drops off a set of rotors I'll have some fresh meat to play with....:)

The Dawg
Linlor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linlor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2011 at 8:36am
Dawg;

I haven't forgotten, just did not get over to Van like I thought I was in the past couple weeks. 

Tell you what, if someone else wants the hubs you have waiting for me, sell them and I will get my hubs over and you can work those down for me.  I have a spare set of 84-87 front rotors so I will get those over to you when I can and then once I have them installed with the new rotors, I can send over the ones currently on the car so you have another set to sell.

I am now changing up contracts as of yesterday so I won't be getting over to Van as much as I would have staying with my other contract. 

I will have to see when I can get over there or pay you for shipping on Greyhound or something.

Talk to you soon.
Don
Ferrari 308 Replica
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2011 at 12:22am
Ok Don.  Thanks for that.  If I get the chance I will sell them and we'll square up at a later date.

I only sell these hubs on an exchange basis.  So if I was to sell this pair, I would then have a set of rotors to transform.  So I should be able to maintain a finished set on the shelf.

Alternately, we could look into the Greyhound costs.  PM me the closest station near you and I'll try and get the information.  Armed with this, you can decide what you would like done.

I'm easy either way.  No worries.

Cheers,

The Dawg
Linlor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linlor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2011 at 7:00pm
Got both fascias done and sitting on the buckets in the car.  the driver's is too far forward as I haven't trimmed it yet so it is sticking up too high.  I will have to trim some of the front bumper frame off under the buckets area to get room  to have the lights go up and down.

I also bonded the rear section of the Fiero roof to the sail panel as well as made some side plates to look more oem with the side sail panel vents.  On oem 308's the front section of the vents is part of the body not the vents and on replicas they are part of the vents.  I cut one off and bonded it to the frame and I am now filling in the gaps with fiberglass and cleaning it all up.

Working on finishing up the front fender vent holes as well and then into a LARGE amount of sanding to get all the old paint off so we can straighten all the panels out and put some colour on.

A few pics.
Don

Ferrari 308 Replica
Fiero308 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fiero308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2011 at 8:40pm
Don I have to tell you that is some beautiful work. Keep
coming with the pictures.

Hugh
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2011 at 10:47pm
I agree.  Everyone here loves to see creativity in action.  It's inspiring!

Keep it up Don.

The Dawg
Linlor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linlor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2011 at 12:20am
Thanks for the replies guys.  Always good to hear someone in interested in following the build.  It has been a lot of fun for me so I like to share.

A quick update.  I got the moulds off the fender vent lips and cleaned them up quickly and tossed a bit of primer on them to show the definition all in one colour.  I will have to sand it all off again.... sigh but it is a good start to to see what the end product might look like.

Also got the last side glassed for the 355 headlight bucket fascias so I will be concentrating on those for the next couple days to get a set out to a guy waiting for them.  He is my guinea pig so I can see how it will all look and work on someone else's car before I go into high gear and make a bunch of sets for waiting folks.

Found a new location for the windsheild washer container as well since the fender now covers it up in its original position.  In the spare tire.  I will make up a bracket to mount it solidly in there and still be accessible for filling and removebale if the spare is every needed.

More to come.

Cheers
Don
 A few pics

Definition shot of the lip

Washer Jug New Location

Hood by itself on the car.

Ferrari 308 Replica
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2011 at 10:08am
I'm curious.  Does the whole top tilt?  Otherwise, how does one get to the master cylinder and so on?

I've been throwing around the idea of creating a front end tilt kit.  Maybe a back end kit also.  I've always thought it would make getting to the motor so much easier if the bodywork was out of the way.

Cool factor would triple also....:)

The Dawg
Car-2-Lo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Car-2-Lo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2011 at 10:25am
Don, thanks for posting pics, you have inspired me to do the same with front hood, but mine will be a bit wider.
It's a shame Hugh doesn't post any pics   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic