West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Build Threads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ferrari 308 Replica Rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linlor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2011 at 2:39pm
Dawg;

The front clip doesn't tilt.  The brake master is fine as it is pretty much under the hood but the clutch is in there a ways.  I can get to the clutch reservoir and use a syringe or something like that to fill the required fluid.  Thanks goodness the clutch doesn't rend to need much maintenance.

Car-2-Lo;

I was thinking about making it wider when I started but the front clip would have had to be cut up as well to finish off the fender lines and I wasn't sure I wanted to go that much more work for 2" of hood width.  If you are doing a full front rebuild on yours, you can do the same thing or just leve the fender/hood lines where they are and cut the hood out further out. The new hood will then have to definition lines versus mine where that is the break points.

I am looking forward to seeing how you do yours.

Cheers
Don
Ferrari 308 Replica
Prova 5000s Countach Replica
328 mera View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 328 mera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2011 at 1:51pm

you 're doiing a great rebuliding job?

Did You install by yourself the the Targa kit?

Linlor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linlor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2011 at 7:55pm
No, The targa came with the car but I am rebuilding it to work properly as it
wasn't put together very well and I am sure would leak in rain. I am doing
some work to get better seals and locking mechanisms created to do a much
better job.

Cheers
Don
Ferrari 308 Replica
Linlor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linlor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2011 at 1:37am
Once again, long time between updates so I thought I would post a few pics.  I haven't had a lot of time on the car these days as I have been building the 355 headlight buckets as well as other honey-do projects that need doing....  I am making progress though.  A few pics of a set I sent out to a happy customer.  I built jigs to hold everything in the right place as I secure them to the buckets and also machined proper pins for rotation etc. They fit right onto the Fiero headlight motors.

I have the 308 replica pretty much sanded down ready for a skim coat of filler to get everything smooth.  This car was quite rippled so I decided to sand everything down to gel coat and start over with new primer and paint.  Wherever there is grey, that is a dip in the body that I will need to flatten out with a skim of filler.  I already sanded a bunch out of the gel coat but some were too large to remove.

I still have the passenger door and front clip to finish up.  I need to complete a small repair on the passenger door area as the skin was pulled away at the top and the door frame area needs some attention.

I also moved the replica air vent back to where it meets up with the headlight tops as per oem.

I need to sand the new glass down and then finish with a skim coat and then primer everything.  I am still planning on pulling moulds off the front clip tops for Hugh but I want to make sure I have it well sealed so I don't get a reaction like I did the first time and I don't ruin my filling work like I did the first time....

I also added a piece to the front of the side louvers to make more oem looking as oem has a piece that goes up in front of the louver but the replicas have the front piece moulded to the louvers.  Never liked that so I cut it off and pasted it to the car instead.

I also bonded the rear clip to the Fiero roof section so I don't have the line going along the top of the car.

Headlights are all done just waiting for some time to finish sand and fit the fascias and cleanup.  I have a custom extended windshield being built in Coquitlam that I will be installing after I take Hugh's moulds off.  I have to adjust the back edge of the hood and fenders to match up with the new extended curve.  This will really finish off the look of the car in my opinion.  I hope to have the screens done in a couple weeks.

That is about it for now. 

Cheers
Don
Ferrari 308 Replica
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2011 at 6:51am
Oh wow. You've done a ton of work making the car exactly as you want, that deserves a ton of credit unto itself. The fact it's also coming along very nicely deserves even more.
Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2011 at 10:45am
Don, you obviously love doing this.  Good times....eh?

You really need to come by the Club when it's on the road again.

Cheers,

Dawg
You dream it up....I'll make it
Linlor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linlor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2011 at 12:01pm

Thanks for the comments guys.

I will drop by one of the meetings once I have it on the road again.  I really enjoy building these things up.

More to come I am sure as I get closer to ready to paint.  I have a Euro interior I will be putting in as well to get rid of the Fiero interior so that wil be a fun project once it is painted.

Cheers

Don

Ferrari 308 Replica
Linlor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linlor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2011 at 2:39pm
Not much of an update lately on the 308.  The time I have had in the garage has been working on 355 headlight buckets for waiting customers.  I have the front hood pretty much sanded out and cleaned up now and fixed the passenger door and now to finish sanding the rest of the car and get a skim cost of bondo on it to smooth all the waves out.

The extended windshield is out getting laminated so I should have it back in a couple weeks to install and then off to paint.

I did take some time this past weekend though to go to Washington State and pick up the next project.

A Lamborgini Countach kit.  Needs a bunch of work but I plan to stop the 355 build and use that frame and parts as a base for the Countach.

The shape is currently a mix between the 25th Anniversary edition and the 5000s. I plan to put it into a full 5000s rendition.

More to come on all the projects.

BTW:  I will have some 18" 5x100 rims and tires for sale shortly.  They are staggered sizes, 205/50/18 and 255/35/18 that were on the 355 project but I now have some Lambo wheels to put on the frame.  These are FRD rims.

The only pic I have of the wheels at work.  I can get more pics later and I'll post in the for sale.

Cheers
Don
Ferrari 308 Replica
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2011 at 2:57pm

Aw, that Countach looks awesome. I love how flambouyant of a body it is. Hell, even the name is an exclamation males tended to say when seeing a beautiful woman in northwest Italy. Ridiculous, and awesome.

Best of luck with the new project! Looking forward to it.

Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2011 at 4:25pm
Looking great...to have a garage...lol
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">
Linlor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linlor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2011 at 6:34pm
OK;

A bit of an update.  I have made a couple more sets of 355 headlights and got those off to their respective owners but now I want to get some work done on the 308 so I can get it off to paint.

I have pretty much finished up the front hood section and this past weekend I finished up the rough portion of the under hood seal plate etc in foam and laid up some glass mat on to it as a start.  I now need to sand the mat down and throw a bit of bondo on to it so I can pull moulds of the top and bottom to go along with the moulds of the fender tops for Hugh if he still wants them.

Once I have this doe, I will be making a new hood and cutting it up to fit the extended screen.  I ended up talking myself into the screen as it will just look SO much better.  Anyone wanting an extended screen on your Fiero, I have made glass locally. Not cheap though.... $750 each.

I also got all the remaining glass work done on the car so that I can now just go around it and apply a skim of bondo and prep the panels for paint.

A few pics
Under the hood with the first layer of glass on it to set up for a proper seal.

Passenger side Louver area
(pics not loading any more.  I'll try later)

Cheers
Don

Ferrari 308 Replica
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2011 at 12:54am
From observing your sanding job, I can tell that there is very little material needed to get it flat.  Want to save yourself a TON of work?  Buy a gallon of epoxy based 2 part high build primer.  I used to use PPG's K200 I think it was called.  Because it's catalyzed, you can keep putting it on till you're confident the build up is enough.

The real benefit is in the sanding later.  It sands so well.  Doesn't load the paper and makes getting a flat surface so easy.  The only way to get a panel truly flat is this way because you are sanding the same material with the same density.  As soon as you break through into bondo, you are sanding harder material and will be unable to keep things flat.

Small amounts of "break through" are no big deal but "cow patch" is bad.

Hope this helps.

Dawg

Originally posted by Linlor Linlor wrote:

OK;

I also got all the remaining glass work done on the car so that I can now just go around it and apply a skim of bondo and prep the panels for paint.

Cheers
Don

Linlor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linlor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2011 at 9:12am
Thanks Damien;

The first skim of bondo was balling up on the sand paper so I think I mixed it wrong.

I will look into getting some today as I want to get this thing done.  There are still quite a few waves in some of the panels though so how much will the epoxy paint fill in for me??

Thanks
Don
Ferrari 308 Replica
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2011 at 9:01pm
You would be amazed Don. It can fill some pretty deep waves.
Either way, it's easy to put on more if need be.

Dawg
Linlor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linlor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2011 at 9:58pm
Thanks Damien;

I will go on the hunt for it tomorrow.  Hopefully it is available in Vic.

I have been very busy on the 308 this past week.  Hugh has jumped in with me and will be getting an extended screen as well on his 308 once I have mine done....

Pulled the Fiero screen out, laid the extended tray in place and moved the wipers to new locations and just cut the front clip to fit the screen tonight.  I may need to move the driver's side wipe transmission but I will do that tomorrow once I go after the final cleanup of the hood and fender tops. 

IT LOOKS FREAKIN' INCREDIBLE. I am very happy with how it is turning out and I can say it is worth every hour I have put into it to get it to here.

Enjoy the pics.

Don

Before cutting

First fitting of the screen and clip.  You can see the difference in the curvature.

Ferrari 308 Replica
Linlor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linlor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2011 at 10:06pm
A few more pics.

Moved the driver's side out about 3.5"

I had to do some metal bashing and make a new mount for the centre wiper transmission.  I have some seam seal to brush on and then paint everything the frame black to match in.

Another shot of the centre wiper tray. The hood seal will go along the edge and mate up to the inner side of the front hood to create a proper front trunk seal.

A couple final shots of the front clip installed and trimmed for the extended screen.  Again, really worth the effort.

Cheers
Don
Ferrari 308 Replica
Fiero308 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fiero308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2011 at 11:36pm
Wow you're not kidding that looks amazing!!
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2011 at 3:57am

The that car is looking amazing, I think Car2Lo has some real competition in the GT class this year.  Man I wish I had those skills.  Jon has been amazing and coming over and helping me with the body of the car.  LOL, I would not call it helping, he did all the work and I just made sure his coffee was full, water was fool, and I tried to feed him many times but he would not eat.

I may be interested in the tires and wheels I hope that was a type O though, about being 18x5 as you can't fit a 255mm wide tires on an 5" wide rear wheel. I figure I am grabbing Car-2-Lo's old leather seats, some new rims and rubber might be interested.

Fire up some pics and what you want for them.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Linlor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linlor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2011 at 12:25pm

I thought I would post a few updates since the forum is a bit quiet these days with the holiday season almost upon us.

I haven't had a whole lot of time to go out and play in the past couple months but I did get some work done on the side scoops. I have cut them into the body with additional glass so that they look a bit more oem.

A few pics of the scoops built in but not yet sanded.  I put some primer on them to to see how they looked all one colour as that is easier to see flaws than the multicolour glass, paint and gel coat....  I have since cleaned them up with some sanding and bondo skims and they are looking pretty darn nice if I do say so myself....

Passenger side looks pretty much the same only mirror image.

I also got the front reinforcing bar cut out and new bar welded in closer to the frame.  The old one hung down the 2" from the bottom of the car which essentially gave me about 3-4" of ground clearance.  I now have the reinforcing all tucked up to the frame and back to stock or nearly stock clearance.  No pics of that though. Sorry.

I then cleaned up the front hood and fenders for the new screen setup and need to now finish sand all that along with the rest of the car in prep for paint.  Also cleaned up the side louver areas to get them ready for final sanding.

The stuff I am currently concentrating on is the targa area.  The car has the targa roof but the sealing arraqngement was far from satisfactory.  I read up on Pennock's that Doc John used 3rd gen Camaro t-top seals to get his targa to seal up.  I ordered up a set of aftermarket seals and when they arrived, I set them loosely in place to see what it all looked like.  I found that I will have to extend the platform the seal sits on by about 1" front and back as the seals are way wider than the shelf that was built in orginally.  That also means I will be adjusting the targa panel to accomodate the wider seal area.  Never ends........

A pic of the overhang I have to make.

As you can see, there is about 1" of seal hanging over the original lip. Adding a shelf will not be an issue at all.  Just some cutting and bending and then welding to get the lip extension in place. 

The next problem I found myself facing was that I can not find the oem Camaro seal retaining tracks.  I searched around and everyone seems to have the rubber seals no problem but no one seems to carry the tracks the seals sit in and oem are no longer produced.  So.....  I have to make some.  I fabricated a small spacer out of flat stock that I use to hammer the lips over on.  I cut the track with additional metal for the round over lip and then use the vice and a hammer to place to flat bar in place and round the lip over it.  Move the flat bar to the next piece and repeat....and repeat.... and repeat.....

I am about 1/4 the way through the straight back piece and I will post pics when done.  I still have to do the front, curved one which will be a bit more work but still manageble.  I am guessing a full night's work to get the tracks built.  Hopefully, this weekend it will all be done and the targa sits on the roof and seals well enough. 

That is about all for updates right now.  I hope to get some work done on the car over the Holidays and maybe we will see some updates inthe New Year....  I hope we do as that means I was able to get some work done on it......

Cheers

Don

Ferrari 308 Replica
Linlor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linlor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2012 at 1:27pm
Progress;

I have pretty much redesigned and built the tagra lip to accept the Firebird T-Top seals as per pics below.  I just need to finish the rear side for edge cleanup and then build the seal clip.  The front seal clip was a bit harder than I had anticipated due to the compound curve of the windshield header section but it is done and the seal is locked in place.  When I finish everything, I will goop the heck out of the seal bottoms and clips with sealant of some sort to make sure it doesn't leak through too badly.  I don't think the car will be 100% weather sealed but it will be very good for being caught in the rain on a drive I think.

Targa rear lip welded in place

Front seal in place

View of front and back seals in place.  Looks pretty good and nicely finishes off this area.

I also never liked the finish of the tops of the door skins on these cars as the edges just sat there about 1" or so away from the side glass.  I took some of Pennock's user Stu DIY dew strips and cut the metal parts off and fastened the dew strips to the tops of the door skins.  Pics show the difference in finished look.  I like it.

I also put some time into the new front bumper to get an oem bumper in place.

Al for now.  I am n ow down to 1 page of to do's to have the car ready for paint so I am only several weeks away from getting it out to colour......

Enjoy
Don
Ferrari 308 Replica
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic