West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Build Threads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ferrari 308 Replica Rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linlor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2012 at 9:41pm
Carlo;

I plan to use a replica screen or make one out of a transport screen and
cut it down.

Dawg;

Yeah it is so nice to see it one colour again. Really looking forward to
seeing the car in the final colour as well.

More to come
Cheers
Don
Ferrari 308 Replica
Prova 5000s Countach Replica
Linlor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linlor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2012 at 6:52pm
308 parts heading to the painter's shop tomorrow night.  He will start working on those while we are waiting for his last project to get the bumper back from chrome and then it is moved out of the shop and the 308 goes in.  I hope to have a new painted car some time in January.

I will post more pics when I get more progress.

Cheers
Don
Ferrari 308 Replica
Linlor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linlor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2012 at 12:26pm
I ended up connecting with my interior guy and he has the car in his shop now doing the interior and the painter has the front clip, trunk lids and rockers to start the painting piece.  Once the interior is in then I will take that back out and send the rest of the car off to paint as well.  Probably take a couple a couple months to get it painted as my painter does it on the side.

I talked to the interior guy last Monday and had the interior rebuilt and into the car by Friday so I could take it to the shop. A lot of late nights redoing the pieces I wanted for the interior.  First was the extended dash as the Fiero dash setup did not protrude out far enough to cover the new area with my extended screen.  I also needed to move the defroster vents outward as well to properly work against the new screen.

I also wanted to redo the centre console as it was very plain and quite ugly.  I now have the door panels back in my garage and I am making some speaker mounts for the door cards and map pockets.  Just did the passenger side last night.  Came out fairly well.  I think it will look good covered in the tan.

Cheers
Don

Extended dash piece I had to graft in and you can see the moved defroster vents.  Will need to make some new air ducting under the dash.

Centre Console changes.  Made a larger recessed portion that will house the shifter plate and all switches.  The insert will be black.

Another view of the dash with the gauge console cover.

Loose parts all loaded up ready to head to the painter's

Car sitting on the ground for the first time in about a year and sitting the in the interior shop.

Ferrari 308 Replica
Linlor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linlor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2012 at 3:08pm
Some progress on the interior.  The guy is doing a great job on the pieces so far.  I made a map holder and speaker enclosure f or the door cards as well but the first attempt was a bust.  Back into the garage I go for the second round on the doors....  Speaker enclosure wil be fine as it sits under the dash but the map pocket needs to be thinner and,....well.... just better looking as it doesn't flow right now at all...

A few pics of the interior so far and my bad first attempt at a map pocket....

Ferrari 308 Replica
Linlor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linlor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2013 at 2:44pm
Thought I would update again o the interior and paint.

I have the car back in the garage after the guy did up my full interior.  excellent work and quite reasonable.  I still need to finish up the headliner panels I got from V8Archie to match up with the targa section and cut and shape the tan a-pillar to match up to the targa section.

I ended up needing to adjust the map pockets as they were too big, and the first round was for all intent and purposes, ugly.....  I ended up redoing the pockets to be flat up against the speaker boxes and I carved a section out of the driver's side to allow for easy access and movement of the e-brake.  It all came out beautifully.

I am also out of town right now until next week so doing lots of thinking and planing on what I want to do with the centre console area.  I have a shift gate coming from Rob (Fiero conversions in Seattle) and I am looking for some good switches to take care of the following functions.
  • power windows both sides (2)
  • door locks both sides (2)
  • seat heaters both sides (2)
  • rear defroster (1)
  • Rear trunk release (1)

8 in total so it will be full depending on what I end up doing.  I am looking at surrounding the shifter and the angled section down behind the shifter but there isn't a lot of room in under so I will be looking for small switches that will suit the console. 

The little section in front of the main centre console section will have the 12v (cig lighter), change tray and under the change tray, the ALDL connector

Cheers

Don

Ferrari 308 Replica
Linlor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linlor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2013 at 5:12pm
Doing some planning for switches and setup for the centre console. This drawing set is not to scale and I am sure that will end up changing the spacing between the switches a bit but some initial thoughts on placement of switches.

I am leaning toward option 1 as it doesn't look quite as cluttered. My biggest concern is also the depth I have below the angled portion where the seats/defrost switches are. Not sure how much room I will have under there so may need to get smaller switches than I am hoping.

I have been doing a lot of searching for auto switches, not an easy search on the net and I found some really nice ones from Carling Technologies that are 1.75" long, 1" wide and about 1.5" deep. The depth is the part that has me wondering if they will fit. The switches I like come with illuminated windows that you can put the images into for each of the functions. Thoughts about either option or maybe another option.

Anyone know of other auto switches sites I can go to? I haven't really found much online yet and I certainly don't want the $3 switches from Napa etc.??

Thanks
Don

Ferrari 308 Replica
Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2013 at 4:02pm
Totally prefer option  #1.

Word of caution though - make sure there's some kind of interlock on the trunk switch (ebrake, etc). 
I can see you bumping it with your arm/hand by accident being right there by the shifter.

Why two door lock switches? Could use one as maybe fog light on/off?
I'd swap the window and lock positions (more used control is closer then).

Linlor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linlor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2013 at 11:33pm
Actually, I forgot about the fog light switch.  Thanks John.... Now I need to find a spot for that as well....

Working details to maybe get some Carling Tech switches that don't have any images on them. I guess imaged switches from Carling are 250 minimum order.  Don't need 250 of each......

If I get clear switches ordered from them, there is a distributor in New West, I can then source out some images to stick into the illuminated windows and get everything I want....

More to come.

Cheers
Don
Ferrari 308 Replica
Linlor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linlor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2013 at 12:29am
Got all my switches when I was down in Phoenix and then Calgary. I
will be building the centre console inserts over the next few weeks. I
also received some of my parts back from the painter.

I will be sending the rest to the painter in March as he has another
project he needs to get done in Feb.

I really like the colour and looking forward to getting the rest painted as
well.... I also got the front clip, rockers and front bumper but left them
wrapped up in blankets to help save from potential paint nicks

Enjoy.
Don

Ferrari 308 Replica
Linlor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linlor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2013 at 12:24pm
Rest of the car is out to the painter as of Sunday March 3.  I estimate the month of March for him to work through the car.  A couple pics of the progress I made before I towed it out to Sooke yesterday.  I had to put the front clip on to readjust the driver's door out a bit so I took a couple pics of the clip on the car.  This colour is spectacular....

Cheers
Don

Dash/Screen extension all sanded up and cleaned up and permanently attached to the car now.  You can kind of see three lines in the centre area.  These need to be cut out and the Fiero screen below cut out to allow for the new defroster vent channels to flow out to the new defroster locations.  This pic was just after I added the edges of the tray to seal off the ends where the screen will lay in. It looks much nicer now after some sanding and cleanup.

A few pics of the front clip on the car.  The paint really pops when seeing it up close.... The garage and camera lighting don't do it justice.

Ferrari 308 Replica
Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2013 at 1:40pm
Killer!  If it looks that good inside with crappy lighting, I can only imagine what it looks like in person!

Linlor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linlor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2013 at 9:23pm
Thought I would post a few pics tonight.  I got the rest of the car back from the painter today.  It looks amazing.

I have to finish off my Countach bumper and air dam over the next week and then on to putting this one back together.

Cheers
Don

Ferrari 308 Replica
Linlor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linlor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2013 at 2:16pm
Thought I would post over here as I have made great progress on the 308 project.

I have it all assembled as far as I can go right now for the time in over a year.... I plan to put the wheels back on the car and drop it on the ground tonight so I at least have it on display for my birthday weekend.....

Sept 14th I turn 50 and my granddaughter turns 3 on the 13th so I wanted to drive myself and my granddaughter around the block in celebration  A new brake line hole I found on Monday night killed that aspiration.  I will at least have a good looking garage queen though......

Pics don't do the colour justice.....

A few items I found when putting everything back together.
  • I didn't cut enough out of the dash area as the vents barely fit in on the end without room for the actual air vent arrangement I had thought of.
    • I will need to cut some more out of the fiberglass screen tray but I won't need to make the metal cutouts any bigger thank goodness.
  • The driver's side fender top needs some trimming on its lip at the screen. 
    • By the time I had all the tray molded in and cleaned up, I ended up with some interference
  • Lastly, the doors won't close all the way.
    • The painter cleaned up my door skin mounts by applying some filler to the inside edge to smooth it all out but now there is interference between the bottom of the door edge and the metal rocker on the frame.
    • I will have to grind out some of the door lower edge to make some clearance.
Other than those few items, everythi8ng else fit together quite well.

A couple more weeks of tidying up and it will actually be on the road.

Enjoy
Don

Ferrari 308 Replica
Linlor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linlor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2013 at 4:40pm
Installed the targa seal clips this past weekend.  Should seal up quite nicely for the weather we inevitably get caught out in every once in a while.

I also got the gauges installed ready for wiring.  Only thing I found was that the speedo is mph only and VDO doesn't make a km/mph speedo so I guess I will stay with mph or maybe make a face plate that has both.  Most likely stay with mph.....

Cheers
Don

Ferrari 308 Replica
ARTIC-1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ARTIC-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2013 at 4:57pm
Look @ Marine,you may find what you need.
Like this.

SNOW MAN

87-GT/AUTO-2.8_ WHITE

88-TTop/ Duke-2.5. RED
Linlor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linlor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2013 at 10:04am
Thanks for the link.

Yes, VDO also has a km/h gauge but it only goes to the 110 km/h so it would be buried or close to buried just driving on the highway.  I will either stay with the mph and do the translation in my head or see about a new face plate sticker that puts both on where I have the km/h equal the mph.....

Thanks
Don

Ferrari 308 Replica
Linlor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linlor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2013 at 6:25pm
A bit more progress. I have made a centre console insert and I have
covered with 3m 1080 scotchbrite carbon fibre vinyl to get an idea of
what it will look like in cf.

I can't believe another year passed already......

A couple pics.

Cheers
Don

Ferrari 308 Replica
ARTIC-1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ARTIC-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2013 at 6:43pm
Nice work,I beta! lot of time went into that console.
Took me a year to Port the heads on my 2.8
Looks great.
SNOW MAN

87-GT/AUTO-2.8_ WHITE

88-TTop/ Duke-2.5. RED
Linlor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linlor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2014 at 11:51pm
I saw Johnny is updating the build thread areas so thought I better contribute as well.,  I am finally back at the car again and making the final push.... again.... 

I went through some carbon fiber tries a couple weeks ago and totally messed it up so had to sand everything back off and I am waiting to get the nerve back up to try again....

I needed to redo the headlight buckets as they weren't working for me.  I made some jigs to get pivot placement and then tore the old Fiero headlight mount out and closed the bucket in to make a full and solid bucket.  Much better arrangement to start with.  I then made up some metal pivots similar to how I did the 355 buckets a few years ago.  Worked out well on the passenger side and now I need to get after the driver's side over the next couple days.

Cheers
Don

Ready for the eye surgery......

Old bucket internals.  I had tried some expanding foam and it never set past a desert topping consistency so that put me over the edge to start it all over properly.

I closed in the buckets and redid the front fascias so they fit better on the new rearranged buckets.

Next was the pivot design and build.  The long ends out past the pivot will be bent over to be used as the open stop.

Passenger side installed in the car up and closed.

Rinse and repeat for the driver's side over the rest of the week.

Cheers
Don
Ferrari 308 Replica
Fieroman88 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Executive Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fieroman88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2014 at 3:41pm
Luv what you've done. Certainly a labour of love. Consul
looks fab and the insides of the doors make a enjoyable
difference. Good job. Hope to see it at a meeting soon.
Fieroman88
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic