West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Build Threads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ecotec Build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2010 at 12:00pm

Found an intercooler for you. It actually goes a little past the bottom of that chrome bumper. It's larger in every dimension than the Fiero's entire radiator.

Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Medic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2011 at 1:36pm
I got the trans back in today with the new clutch/pressure plate and throwout bearing/slave cylinder. The clutch does not seem to bind so far. Keeping fingers crossed that it is fixed. Hopefully it will be roadworthy soon. ............

Did I mention it needs a provincial inspection? Darcy spent all that money and never registered it in BC.........

88 GT Northstar 6 Spd
Medic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2011 at 4:46pm
Does anybody want to buy a Ecotec Fiero? I cannot get the car to start and can't find any obvious problems. I put in a new clutch and now it's a no start. My weak point is wiring and it frustrates the hell out of me.
Worked on it today and it almost started but no luck.
When I worked on the shifter I pulled out the console and a load of wiring was hidden behind it, including the sunfire ignition with a switch attached to it. Not sure if the problem lies somewhere in the mess of wires or somewhere else.....................did I say I was frustrated..........
88 GT Northstar 6 Spd
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2011 at 9:54am

What do you mean when you say it doesn't start? It doesn't crank, or it doesn't combust?

If it doesn't crank, I'd first check to see if there's a problem with ground or power to the starter (If it's accessible, haven't seen the Ecotec), then move up to both ignition switches, then to the starter relay.

If it doesn't light, you know it's a problem with fuel, air or fire, and can then check each system (Or hook it up to a scan-tool) to see which one it is.

clynt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote clynt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2011 at 11:24am
what do you mean by it almost started?
do you have spark?
do you have any ether?
has patrick had anything to do with it?
Medic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2011 at 12:03pm
It cranks over but does not combust. Plugs look wet when removed.
Appears to be a spark issue. Not sure how to rectify the issue. Which scan tool is recommended?

88 GT Northstar 6 Spd
clynt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote clynt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2011 at 12:08pm
i think a scantool only works on a running car..
i use autoxray they are cheap on ebay
can you run a testlight thru coils for power?
Medic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2011 at 1:06pm
With the key on there is power to the coil.
Does not fire with ether.

88 GT Northstar 6 Spd
clynt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote clynt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2011 at 1:17pm
hot wire it ..
sorry misread..is it a single coil or a pac?
Medic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2011 at 1:22pm
Removed the coilpack and removed the rubber boots from the spark plugs. Cranked it over and there is no spark between the electrode and the valve cover. Will check the grounding again to see if that is the problem. The coilpack tests positive for power so it should be sparking.

88 GT Northstar 6 Spd
clynt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote clynt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2011 at 1:44pm
so it ran before..
check power to computer.
computer controls grounding to plugs?
or is there a separate moduel?
Medic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2011 at 1:53pm
Yes ran before I took out the trans and replaced the clutch. Removed a few ground wires in the process but put back with the re install.
Seperate ICM I believe.

88 GT Northstar 6 Spd
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2011 at 2:35pm
Yes, you will have a seperate ICM but that will be networked in to the PCM. Put the vehicle in Run, start up a scan-tool and it will tell you if there's a communications error (ICM) or not. It should also be noted that if the ICM can't find a crank or cam signal, it wont bother trying to fire either the injectors or the spark, so that's also something to consider.
Medic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2011 at 3:03pm
If anyone is a wiring guru and would like to make a few bucks helping me figure out why this thing isn't firing let me know, I could use a lesson on troubleshooting wiring problems. 
88 GT Northstar 6 Spd
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2011 at 3:32pm

Know anyone with AllData or Mitchell On Demand? Those will have all the wiring diagrams, which could drastically aide you in figuring this out.

Medic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2011 at 5:04pm
Unfortunately no I don't.
That's why I am offering to pay someone to help me out.

88 GT Northstar 6 Spd
Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2011 at 8:35am
I'd be happy to help you out...  but most (all?)of it will have to be remotely done unless it turns out you live within 5 min's of my place.  :)

I assume you have a reasonable arsenal of weapons like a test light, decent meter, and basic knowledge of electronics?

Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2011 at 6:50pm
I might be persuaded to be the point man here.  Especially if John is willing to add some tech support.

I would love to see this thing going!

PM sent.

The Dawg
You dream it up....I'll make it
Medic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2011 at 7:26pm
I have a test light, a meter and a basic knowledge... yes.
88 GT Northstar 6 Spd
Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2011 at 7:33pm
OK...  Obviously the harness on the car has been altered.  A lot.  :)

What's what?  I'll assume the "X" car was used as a donor, then grafted onto the Fiero.  What's "X" (year, make, model - hopefully someone told you!).

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic