West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Off Topic » Got something you want to talk about.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

West Coast Fieros Redesign

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote Graeme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: West Coast Fieros Redesign
    Posted: 30 December 2010 at 12:54am
I was just reading the thread where Patrick commented that he couldn't see the whole topic title and it occurred to me that we haven't done a redesign on this site since it was created.

I was wondering if anybody had any thoughts on a redesign of the site and what it might look like. Dark? Light? Particular colours? Layout? Content on main page?

Try not to concentrate on the forum right now, although suggestions are welcome.

Graeme

Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2010 at 2:38am
More naked dancing girls please....:)

The Dawg
You dream it up....I'll make it
beken View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote beken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2010 at 3:41pm
I like that fact that there's no advertising here.

Is there a way users can personalize background colours or wallpapers?   

(that way, Dawg can add his own dancing girls )

Beken (aka Ken) - bekentech@westcoastfieros.com   Original and still the owner of an 85SE 2M6 4spd
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2010 at 5:26pm
Although I'm no programmer, and don't want to make suggestions that are too hard to implement, I had been thinking we could move the most popular threads towards the middle/left, and put the meeting wrap up below all of them. That would allow for the main page to display full thread titles (Within reason, of course). As for colours, I like our current set-up, personally, but if we must change it, I suppose red lettering on a white background would be "Fiero-esque".
Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2010 at 12:21am

Originally posted by Graeme Graeme wrote:

I was wondering if anybody had any thoughts on a redesign of the site... Layout? Content on main page?

It depends on what the purpose is for the main page. Is it for current members to quickly navigate to where they already know they wish to go, or is it for first time visitors to the site to learn what the club is all about? Probably a little of each I suspect.

First of all, if we're going to have the monthly meeting write-up appear on the home page, it needs to be updated promptly right after every meeting. It's now one day away from January and my ugly mug is still on the front page from November's write-up.  That should've been pulled almost three weeks ago and December's write-up put in its place. Prior to that we had the same monthly write-up on the home page for what... six months?

It just looks bad for a first time visitor to any webpage to see old, outdated stuff still posted. Okay, 'nuf said about that.

As has already been brought up, I'd like to see the entire topic heading shown under Recent posts to our forum, not just the first three or four words of the heading. If space is an issue, we probably don't need the category mentioned that each thread is listed in. It would also be great if we could possibly have up to a dozen recent threads listed, as opposed to the half dozen or so we currently have. What often happens now is that there'll be a surge of posts and recent threads will fall off the bottom of the list. With so many categories in the forum, once a thread falls off that list it requires a lot of effort to track down threads that have been added to since last being viewed. Perhaps a future discussion could be the number of categories we have in the forum and how we might be able to lessen the number of them.

I'd also like to see a link separate from the forum categories for any downloadable stuff like text files (repair manuals, etc), images and/or videos. Dave has quite a stockpile of quality Fiero resource material and I think by and large it's unknown to most people, members and visitors alike.

Regarding videos, it's a shame that more members don't make use of the ability to upload Fiero related videos directly to the club's server. These videos can then either be played back directly from the server and viewed online, or they can be downloaded. I think I'm the only one who's bothered to upload videos in this manner since Graeme went through the trouble of setting it up.* It's so superior to uploading to YouTube for videos that are of interest to club members. Perhaps a link to a page dedicated to explaining how it's done would encourage other members to try it out. It's a simple process once it's been attempted, we just need to get the word out. Heck, I'll do the write-up if that would help, but there needs to be a easily found link to it, hopefully on the home page.

And just in case there's been an update to the forum software which would make it possible, I'll quickly mention (as I have previously) that it would be real nice if people signing up for the forum had a "box" to fill out that would display where they're located (other than country). I understand that this "box" hasn't existed in the software up to this point but I'm ever hopeful.

Anyway, my thanks to Graeme and Dave for taking care of the club's website.

* Here's an example of a video I uploaded to the club's server for one of the autocross threads...

Colby View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2010 at 1:21am
As far as the look of the site goes, I think it looks fine still. The thing is, all that seems to get used is the forum.

As Patrick mentioned, the main page which shows the last meeting wrap up is usually showing one from months ago, plus there's no indication that that's actually what it is, a header showing that it's last meeting's wrap-up would be nice, listing the date of the meeting would be even better since then it's obvious if it's outdated. Maybe you can add in a dedicated page for past meeting wrap-ups and keep the main page a bit simpler (maybe even replacing the about page). Then there's also the about page and contact page which both look like they're outdated. A dedicated link to the event calendar would be nice too.

Maybe you can let the Recent Posts area take up the whole width of the page (minus the width of the picture) so it would be no problem to include the full topic title as well as what category it's in. And I agree that more of them should be listed. I don't think I've ever used the "Jump to a forum category" section, and that poll has been around forever.

I don't make use of uploading videos to the forums server because I wasn't aware I could (I don't have a good place to put the video files otherwise). Plus the video player is somewhat limited. I'd recommend integrating JW Player (it's free for non-commercial use). It has pretty much every feature you'd ever want, including switching to an HTML 5 player so devices such as the iPhone which have no flash support can still view the videos (apparently, but I've never tried myself).
88 Formula 5 speed

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2010 at 1:32am

Originally posted by Cheese Cheese wrote:

I'd recommend integrating JW Player

Wow, what a great demo video!

kharmata View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kharmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2010 at 6:03pm
How about the ability to navigate thru a thread from the top and bottom of the page.
Graeme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Graeme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2010 at 7:02pm
Great suggestions. Thanks for getting involved.

The main page wrapup is actually pulled from the forum dynamically. So it's all about who updates the meeting wrapups and how they present them. Nothing to do with how the home page is done, that part is dynamic.

JWPlayer is quite advanced and a good player to use. I can look into it and it might be just as well to provide a page that explains both maybe? Good idea on providing the page to understand how to add video. Should be included in the FAQ too.

Gotta make dinner at the moment, but I'll cover more thoughts on the ideas above later or tomorrow. 
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2010 at 10:25pm
Oh, actually Kevin touched upon a good point there.
kharmata View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kharmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2011 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by Romeo Romeo wrote:

Oh, actually Kevin touched upon a good point there.
thanks Tristan.
Graeme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Graeme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2011 at 10:55pm
I've made a few changes to the home page for now. Let me know if it's better or not. 
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2011 at 11:44pm

You are most welcome, Kevin.

Still getting my bearings, but thus far the changes have addressed everyone's concerns, Graeme.

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2011 at 12:00am

First thing I noticed is that my ugly mug is still on the home page.   Please, before anymore children are scarred for life, let's get the November write-up off of there and put the December one in its place!

I also notice that on my girlfriend's 1920x1080 monitor (running IE8), to view the entire front page requires it to be scrolled back and forth from side to side about half an inch. (The other pages are fine.) What's up with that?

Car-2-Lo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Car-2-Lo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2011 at 12:00am
WOW, the front page looks lop-sided now, has no margin on left side, looks odd
Also the lettering is way too large for the front page, it takes up all of the page and over powers everything, but good for the seniors.
Anyway, I liked the old page better because of that.

I know it's not part of front page, but DON'T have meeting wrap ups on front page if no one updates it !
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2011 at 12:07am

Originally posted by Car-2-Lo Car-2-Lo wrote:

Also the lettering is way too large for the front page, it takes up all of the page and over powers everything, but good for the seniors.

Too large???

Johnny, what browser are you using and what resolution are you running? On Anne's computer (reported above) I can hardly read the printing on the home page because it's so tiny!

Car-2-Lo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Car-2-Lo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2011 at 12:27am
Originally posted by Patrick Patrick wrote:

Also the lettering is way too large for the front page, it takes up all of the page and over powers everything, but good for the seniors.smileys/smiley36.gif">

Too large???

Johnny, what browser are you using and what resolution are you running? On Anne's computer (reported above) I can hardly read the printing on the home page because it's so tiny!

YES, TOO LARGE ! It's time you and Anne to get updated larger screens and glasses ! The lettering on PFF is the right size without over powering everything else !

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2011 at 12:50am

It's time you and Anne to get updated larger screens and glasses ! The lettering on PFF is the right size without over powering everything else !

Anne's 22" monitor is about six months old.

In regards to the size of the fonts on the club's home page compared to PFF, they're the same size on each site (on Anne's monitor).

Graeme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Graeme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2011 at 1:03am
If you could post a screenshot, that would be helpful.

The design is done by percentages. So, if you have your browser setup to use large size fonts, then the font will appear larger. This is to accommodate those that actually do set their browser for that for impaired vision. Other sites will explicitly set pixel sizes for their fonts which then can't be changed within the browser and have to be zoomed in.

As for that slight bit that creates the scrolling horizontally.. I'm not sure, I noticed it too. Just working on a personal video project at the moment but I'll try to get back to the small adjustments later or tomorrow if I can find the time.

Thanks for the comments everybody
Car-2-Lo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Car-2-Lo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2011 at 1:14am
Graeme, the web site is awesome, great work on it, we're very lucky to have one and it's the best club site

Patrick, what about glasses, I see you wearing Clynt's on front page ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic