West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Off Topic » Got something you want to talk about.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need some advice on dog muzzles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2011 at 7:34pm

Originally posted by kharmata kharmata wrote:

Patrick. One key factor in training most dogs is a pocket full of yummy treats. I trust you have tried this method of control/encouragement ;-)

Kevin, the problem with training Frankie is that she doesn't particularly like treats (unless it's a live chicken!) and she's not all that fond of "praise" and/or affection either. I suspect it's a husky trait, but whether it is or isn't, it's difficult to reinforce good behavior with a dog like Frankie who is SO independant.

With Frankie I find the best way to encourage good behavior and/or following orders is to NOT make her stand still. So for example, if she doesn't stop at the curb when I say "Wait", I then make her stand there for a couple of minutes to think about it. She doesn't like this at all.  However, the next time I say "Wait" she screeches to a halt at the curb and stays there motionless until I say "Let's go" (after making her wait only about three seconds or so).

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2011 at 8:06pm

Originally posted by Romeo Romeo wrote:

I always have a pocket full of yummy treats.

Dare i ask what or why?

Tristan's favorite pickup line... "Come here little girl, I've got some candy."

kharmata View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kharmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2011 at 8:23pm
Sounds All 2 familiar. Have you trained before? did you learn from
a reliable source? I tend to believe when people say they require
constant, consistent attention to get and keep their obedience.

Tristan, aren't you single again. Wink wink.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2011 at 8:49pm

Sounds All 2 familiar. Have you trained before? did you learn from a reliable source? I tend to believe when people say they require constant, consistent attention to get and keep their obedience.

I've been around dogs before, but I've never had my own previously. Well technically, Frankie is Anne's dog, but I spend a lot of time around the two of them.

So to be completely honest, I know nothing about training dogs... and I started with a husky!

I tell ya, the last five years with Frankie have been very educational.

kharmata View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kharmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2011 at 10:01pm
Honesty is always the best policy.   All I can suggest is
get some help and then determine exactly how far you
really want it to go.

And don't forget to love her!
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2011 at 10:37pm

And don't forget to love her!

Believe me, there are very few dogs who are loved more than Frankie. Between myself and Anne and Anne's two kids, Frankie is smothered in affection. Being a husky, she occasionally has to leave the room because she can't stand all the attention. Seriously!  

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2011 at 10:44pm

Sounds All 2 familiar. Have you trained before? did you learn from
a reliable source? I tend to believe when people say they require
constant, consistent attention to get and keep their obedience.

Tristan, aren't you single again. Wink wink.

You guys wouldn't believe who I have trying to get me to make a pass at her... I'll give you a hint: She's a waitress and her name starts with E (And ends with -mily).
Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2011 at 10:46pm
Back to topic, how's the halti working out for you, Patty?
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2011 at 10:56pm

You guys wouldn't believe who I have trying to get me to make a pass at her... I'll give you a hint: She's a waitress and her name starts with E (And ends with -mily).

Jeez, I miss one meeting and the poor girl loses all her senses.

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2011 at 10:58pm

Well, I only bought the thing a few hours ago.

I'll be taking it over to Anne's place tomorrow. I promise to file a report after our first test run with the Frankster.

Car-2-Lo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Car-2-Lo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2011 at 11:09am
Originally posted by Patrick Patrick wrote:

I'll be taking it over to Anne's place tomorrow. I promise to file a report after our first test run with the Frankster.

After all of this, lets see some pics of poor Frankie (I hope with no cowbells)
Johnny-B-Good

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2011 at 5:35pm

Jeez, I miss one meeting and the poor girl loses all her senses.

*Cough cough JEALOUS MUCH cough*

Sounds like a plan.
Car-2-Lo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Car-2-Lo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2011 at 5:11pm
Any update on Frankie
Johnny-B-Good

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2011 at 5:37pm

First report...

Anne's daughter and I took Frankie out on a test walk today. Worked out pretty well.  

Frankie doesn't like the Halti on her beak, but as long as we keep her moving, she doesn't fuss a heck of a lot.

The big test will be when we confront a coyote or two!

Car-2-Lo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Car-2-Lo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2011 at 6:14pm
Sooo much better than some of the samples you had shown
Johnny-B-Good

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2011 at 6:23pm
Nah, I doubt she would like, Dakota didn't like his either. But that sorta works in your favour. They end up calming down as a result of the frustration. lol
Car-2-Lo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Car-2-Lo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2011 at 7:24pm
Just curious, why after 10 years you're muzzling poor Frankie now at her golden years
Johnny-B-Good

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2011 at 7:52pm

Old people are always letting crazy things out of their mouths. Right Patty?

...Hehe.

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2011 at 11:50pm

Originally posted by Car-2-Lo Car-2-Lo wrote:

Just curious, why after 10 years you're muzzling poor Frankie now at her golden years

Johnny, I covered that in my first post.

The problem lately has been that there are some small dogs (off-leash) in the neighborhood which have run up to Frankie while she is on-leash during a walk. These little dogs don't seem to realize that running up to a much larger dog and barking in the larger dog's face isn't the brightest idea. Frankie has made a mess of a couple of these dogs before she could be pulled off of them and my girlfriend is terrified that Frankie is going to eventually be put down by the city (if reported). It's debatable whether that would actually be the outcome (as these dogs are loose which is illegal in Vancouver and running up to Frankie who is on-leash), but the problem is that Anne's kids are now reluctant to walk Frankie as they're afraid to be the ones "responsible" if Frankie kills or maims one of these dogs the next time she's confronted.

I went for my second walk with the halti on Frankie and she is doing great.  I have to admit I'm very surprised how well she's adapted so quickly to this new harness. The real test will be when she sees something she really really wants to chase.

You can see in this shot that the halti strap around Frankie's muzzle is not tight (unless she tries to pull away), so having this type of harness on is not as bad as it might first appear.

For anyone not familiar with a Halti, the strap you see disappearing at the bottom of the picture actually has a clip on it which attaches to the dog's regular collar, and the leash then attaches to the metal ring in the middle of this strap.

Car-2-Lo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Car-2-Lo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2011 at 6:37am
Yes I know you covered that at first, but why after 10 years, what took you so long then, why now
Then it's not poor Frankie's fault, the owner should have full control and warn other dogs and people,
that's what I do when walking my daughter's dog, I warn people when they came up (oh, he's so cute) that he bites and attacks,
but I have control at all times.
Johnny-B-Good

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic