West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Off Topic » Got something you want to talk about.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need some advice on dog muzzles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need some advice on dog muzzles
    Posted: 20 January 2011 at 4:26pm

Many of you have met Frankie, our Siberian Husky. She's the sweetest dog... around people.

However, being a husky, she's not so sweet around small animals. (She'd also go after larger animals such as coyotes, raccoons, deer, etc if given half a chance.) Cats and chickens and chipmunks need to run for their lives if they're anywhere close to her. Small dogs are not a problem if Frankie is off-leash, yes off-leash, but on-leash she's much more aggressive towards any size dogs she encounters (which I understand is not too uncommon with many dogs while on-leash).

The problem lately has been that there are some small dogs (off-leash) in the neighborhood which have run up to Frankie while she is on-leash during a walk. These little dogs don't seem to realize that running up to a much larger dog and barking in the larger dog's face isn't the brightest idea. Frankie has made a mess of a couple of these dogs before she could be pulled off of them and my girlfriend is terrified that Frankie is going to eventually be put down by the city (if reported). It's debatable whether that would actually be the outcome (as these dogs are loose which is illegal in Vancouver and running up to Frankie who is on-leash), but the problem is that Anne's kids are now reluctant to walk Frankie as they're afraid to be the ones "responsible" if Frankie kills or maims one of these dogs the next time she's confronted.

So... that's why I'd like some info on dog muzzles. Info on types and sizing and how to keep the darn things on. I don't want some "macho" muzzle on Frankie. I'd like it to be as inconspicuous (and as comfortable for her) as possible. Any advice would be appreciated.

Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2011 at 4:45pm

Please note I am not using the "correct terms for everything" as I am trying to make it easier to understand.

Sounds like Frankie might be able to benefit from just a halti rather than a full on muzzle.  Uhm how do I explain a halti.  Well think of it like a leash for there snout. It goes around there neck and another small strap that goes around there jaw.  The leash is then attached to a mid point "under" there jaw.  It allows you to simultaneously pull there snout closed and pull there snout towards you.   However when you are not pulling on the leash they are free to open there mouth, pant and feel totally normal.  It gives you control over there head and jaw, while allowing them to feel free.

Now if you do feel the need for a full muzzle, stay away from any solid materials.  Make sure its a mesh type.  You have seen the one we have for duke, its a simple plastic mesh with Velcro straps, goes around his jaw and has a plastic clip that goes around the back of his head.  Most people don't even notice that it is on him until we point it out.    However frankly I hate putting it on him.  It would be like taking you into an area that you feel threatened into a crowded space with lots of "mean" people around you, and having your hands tied behind your back.     

If you really feel the need for a muzzle then get the mesh type, however a halti is probably more than enough. 

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2011 at 5:01pm

Originally posted by Capt Fiero Capt Fiero wrote:

If you really feel the need for a muzzle then get the mesh type, however a halti is probably more than enough.

Thanks Dave, you bring up some good points. I've heard of a "halti" before, but hadn't really considered it for this purpose. I guess my main concern is whether it would be effective enough when Anne's kids are walking Frankie.

I'll post some pictures tonight of various muzzles (and a halti) so everyone will know what we're talking about.

Car-2-Lo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Car-2-Lo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2011 at 6:20pm

For all animals and humans, muzzles are CRUEL

Johnny-B-Good

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2011 at 6:28pm

OMG !!!

Anne will just love that picture. Not.

Yikes...

Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2011 at 6:36pm
Patrick, I think the "best" solution is get some professional training for Frankie.  There are some very good trainers out there.

For that matter, there are some very good books on the topic.  If the whole family agreed to participate in the lessons it wouldn't take much time I don't think.  Frankie is obviously a smart dog.  They respond the best.

The Dawg
You dream it up....I'll make it
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2011 at 6:45pm

Originally posted by Dawg Dawg wrote:

Patrick, I think the "best" solution is get some professional training for Frankie.  There are some very good trainers out there.

I dunno, she's almost ten years old. You know the expression about not being able to teach old dogs new tricks.

Maybe we need the dog whisperer.

kharmata View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kharmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2011 at 9:08pm
Muzzles are humane. Especially when you consider the
alternative with canine jaws there wanting to take small
trophies.

Terrible picture Johny. funny but terrible. As Dawg
Said, there are plenty of helps on the matter, but old
dawgs...I mean old dogs require extra work (unless they
are all of a sudden just too old) and I personally could
not be so tough on an inherently Alpha animal and
feel good about myself. That's a tough predicament
with a tough dog.   My bouvier was a dream dog.   RIP
Sasha.

I love em all but huskey's (as magnificent as they are)
can be very stubborn and shy of beating them in the
skull, you won't win the battle.
fight.

Cheers
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2011 at 11:52pm

Originally posted by kharmata kharmata wrote:

I love em all but huskey's (as magnificent as they are) can be very stubborn and shy of beating them in the skull, you won't win the battle.

And don't I know it! It's very difficult to tell a stubborn and smart dog what to do if they don't see any purpose in it. (Just to make it clear though, I have never hit her to discipline her and never plan to.)

I've learned with Frankie that if she's really interested in something else (like a squirrel while we're out in the woods) and I want her to come, I need to use dog psychology and simply walk away from her. She innately wants to stay with the "pack" and usually she'll come running after me (which always makes me feel good). No amount of hollering her name has quite the same effect.

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2011 at 12:20am

Damn it, I lost the whole post I had ready with pictures of different muzzles! Sh!t.

I'll try again. Grrrrrr....

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2011 at 12:43am

I didn't bother with the Hannibal Lecter model that Johnny posted above, but I do have a variety of muzzles here to show.

A wire muzzle...

A leather muzzle...

Clynt sent me a link to show the type of muzzle that Sam (his favorite bulldog) wears when out on the town.

This type of muzzle would scare the hell out of the neighbors!

Something inconspicuous like this would be great, as long as it works.

And this is a Halti (that Dave mentioned), which is very similar to something called a Gentle Leader.

I couldn't find anything that actually stated that a Halti would prevent a dog from biting, but I got a kick out of This site as their husky obviously didn't enjoy modeling this type of harness.

And I'm not all that sure what to make of this, but I suspect these two are both a lot of fun at the parties that Tristan attends!

Car-2-Lo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Car-2-Lo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2011 at 7:13am

ANIMAL CRUELTY !

Take this sh*t off, you're driving me CRAZY

Would you do this to your children

Johnny-B-Good

Car-2-Lo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Car-2-Lo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2011 at 7:28am
Johnny-B-Good

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2011 at 9:12am
Patrick, you met Jovanna and her dog too, eh?
Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2011 at 3:42pm
Halti's work great, my neighbour has one for her dog, but Frankie is a husky and at 10 years old it would be tough to change her...jsut adjust so she can enjoy an active lifestyle...I miss my husky
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">
kharmata View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kharmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2011 at 3:52pm
Patrick. One key factor in training most dogs is a pocket
full of yummy treats. I trust you have tried this method
of control/encouragement ;-)

Cheers
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2011 at 3:53pm

I always have a pocket full of yummy treats.

...It needed to be said.

kharmata View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kharmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2011 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by Romeo Romeo wrote:

...It needed to be said.

Dare i ask what or why?
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2011 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by kharmata kharmata wrote:

Originally posted by Romeo Romeo wrote:

...It needed to be said.

Dare i ask what or why?

I'm kind of a big deal.

Anyways, I don't know if you know, but my blind dog used to be a real a-hole (Would attack anything and everything, just for giggles). We found that a halti (As David suggested) did the trick just wonderfully. Attacking becomes far less alluring when you're straining your neck in the process. Now we don't even have to use the halti, he's been re-conditioned to not want to do that (Off-leash he's still a colossal prick though).

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2011 at 7:11pm

Originally posted by Bassman Bassman wrote:

Halti's work great, my neighbour has one for her dog, but Frankie is a husky and at 10 years old it would be tough to change her...just adjust so she can enjoy an active lifestyle...I miss my husky

Brian, I agree that trying something new with a 10 year old husky may not work out, but heck, I think I'll at least try a Halti as I'm quite reluctant to put a "real" muzzle on her. 

I picked up a Halti today at PetSmart for $14.99 (on special, woo-hoo!), so we'll see how well it works this weekend.

Keep in mind that the Halti will probably only be used by the kids if/when Frankie gets used to it. When Anne or I take Frankie for walks, it's often in the UBC Endowment Lands (Spirit Park) where Frankie is off-leash and free to run all over the place. She loves it! (It's only two blocks from Anne's place in Dunbar.)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic