West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Technical Questions and Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Transmission Work Required

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote karnak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2011 at 6:26pm
You can use my UPS freight and brokerage account to get it next day
pm me if you want to do it

Gary
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2011 at 8:19pm

Hi all,

I ordered cables from Rodney today, and He doesn't think it's the cables, actually pretty odd what's happening being a 4 speed, suggested lube the whole shifter area in front...ordered the shifter rebuild kit & linkage bushing also.

The shop has my original trans, they will inspect and install this one and use any parts from the current one. Then install the new cables when they arrive Thursday...we hope as Rodney has to make them and his shop has major work being done on it...and I bought the GM Syncromesh and will drop this off tomorrow for Andy.

I hope to pick this up Friday...any ideas to suggest to the shop???

Cheers

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2011 at 8:33pm

Brian, to be honest I'm kind of surprised that it's been so difficult to determine if the shifting problem is internal or something to do with the cables/shifter.

With the cables disconnected at the tranny (and the engine not running), it shouldn't be all that difficult to move the two levers on the tranny to put it into any/all gears if the problem is not internal.

Hasn't this been tried?

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2011 at 9:05pm
Yup tried that and other suggestions from other's...thanks Patrick.
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2011 at 9:21pm

Originally posted by Bassman Bassman wrote:

Yup tried that and other suggestions from other's...thanks Patrick.

Okay, you tried it... but what was the result? Would the levers go into position, and would the tranny be "in gear"?

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2011 at 9:29pm

It would not go into reverse, I checked by firing up and see if it was in gear...no matter how hard I shifted left it would not click in to shift upward into gear...almost to the point of bending the shifter.

I checked the clutch, cables in all settings, had Kerstin sit in and tested every shift option, adjusting the cables and testing

end result...no reverse at start up, once warm the 2nd started to shiffen up to the point it would not go into gear, then 1st did the same and left with only 3rd & 4th

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2011 at 9:38pm
How odd... You shouldn't be losing individual gears like that... If it was the linkage, you'd lose a whole column or row at a time (1st and 3rd, or 1st and 2nd). Were it the clutch, you'd lose everything, period...
Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2011 at 9:55pm

It would not go into reverse, I checked by firing up and see if it was in gear...no matter how hard I shifted left it would not click in to shift upward into gear...almost to the point of bending the shifter.

I checked the clutch, cables in all settings, had Kerstin sit in and tested every shift option, adjusting the cables and testing

Brian, just to clarify... Did you disconnect the cables at the tranny and leave them disconnected for any of these tests?

Originally posted by Patrick Patrick wrote:

With the cables disconnected at the tranny (and the engine not running), it shouldn't be all that difficult to move the two levers on the tranny to put it into any/all gears if the problem is not internal.

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2011 at 9:59pm
Yes...David and Blair provided me info on what to check...and that's why I was heading to the shop to speak with them, not actually leave the car there:)...lol
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2011 at 10:00pm

Originally posted by Romeo Romeo wrote:

How odd... You shouldn't be losing individual gears like that... If it was the linkage, you'd lose a whole column or row at a time (1st and 3rd, or 1st and 2nd). Were it the clutch, you'd lose everything, period...

No, still had 3rd & 4th when I finally stopped driving...

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2011 at 10:08pm
I understand that, but you said you never had reverse. In time, you lost second. Finally, you would lose first. Seems odd that they went one at a time. If it was the linkage, you'd lose at least two at a time.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2011 at 10:18pm

Yes...David and Blair provided me info on what to check...

Heh heh... I'm not trying to interrogate you Brian (honest!), but if the levers on the tranny wouldn't move into position (with the cables disconnected), I don't understand how lubing or rebuilding the shifter would help to resolve the problem?

I ordered cables from Rodney today, and He doesn't think it's the cables, actually pretty odd what's happening being a 4 speed, suggested lube the whole shifter area in front...ordered the shifter rebuild kit & linkage bushing also.

Something's probably being lost in the translation, but the situation seems awfully confusing from what we've been able (or not been able) to discern here in this thread.

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2011 at 6:44am

Your not Patrick, just tired and was heading to bed...I agree and un sure hence why I am reaching out asking for advice

Cheers...

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2011 at 10:25am

Update...car still at shop, RD cables and bushing kits arrived and they will attempt on Monday to finish it off.  Andy said the cables are awesome especially the SS balls ends, glad I went this route as FS requires to use your old ones.

Now he installed back my original trans, I hope it was inspected before, but since the one in there had no issues, they are set on the problem with slack and cables...really concerned, guess we'll see on Monday...really wish I paid someone from the club that knows what the hell they are doing than a shop.

Happy Father's Day all, enjoy tomorrow

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2011 at 11:08am
Have some faith, brother. Cable-type transmissions weren't a Fiero exclusive, nor was the Muncie. Plenty of GM's had them. I'm sure they've got you covered.
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2011 at 11:14am
I hope so...hate to consider what the bill will be, RD order and delivery with brokerage over $470, these cables better be nice...and be the cause of the problem
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2011 at 9:50am

Well, cars done and at home...and she ran well coming home. 

It was the cables, and I HIGHLY suggest Dickman's, they are amazing and the shop agreed, my original ones had their day...and I have the fix kit for anyone who needs it, saved that...also have the shifter bushing kit if anyone needs this, did not seem to be required for my car.

If we were 100% sure the cables were the problem the bill would have been fine, but they RE & RE and put back in my original trans I brought them and took parts from the other...

So with this said, $1500, and they advised I am missing a manifold bolt and have a leak on the firewall by the battery...kinda knew this and had plans for new header/manifolds...anyone have any to sell?

Let's hope she holds, and I wish pics were taken of these cables, they are sweat and well worth the investment.

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2011 at 11:38am
I'm glad to hear she's working again.
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2011 at 2:41pm

Yes, me also Tris, need some adjustments still though.  And my clutch is acting up again...when I drive in a gear like 4th on the highway for a bit, then when I need to engage, I loose most of my clutch, then I have to pump the pedal and it builds up again...WTF!!!...maybe time for a clutch fluid flush, need to break it that bleeder cap I had to buy, anyone else want to to clutch flush day?...lol

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2011 at 3:27pm
If my beloved Gretchin is back together again, I'll take you up on the offer.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic