West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Technical Questions and Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Transmission Work Required

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2011 at 5:03pm

Originally posted by Bassman Bassman wrote:

I noticed they topped up the clutch fluid, I have DOT5, so if they put DOT3 in, guess I need to flush and soon?...I also think I have air in the clutch line as when I drive for a period steady like the highway, the need to engage the clutch, the pedal barely grabs...suggestions?

Brian, I really really hope you do NOT now have a mixture of Dot3 and Dot5 in your clutch hydraulic system. I found the following Here.

Quote While it’s permissible to mix DOT 3, DOT 4 and DOT 5.1 brake fluids, DOT 5 Silicone fluid
cannot be mixed with any other type. If the system is not completely purged before
conversion, the mixture may gel and result in very poor braking. Therefore conversion
usually requires disassembly and a thorough cleaning, or at least numerous bleeding sessions
over several days. Obviously then, the best time to consider conversion to DOT 5 is before
rebuilding the master cylinder or caliper.

Because DOT 5 Silicone cannot be mixed with any other brake fluid it has been given a
special purple color. Any owner or mechanic seeing the special purple color should instantly
recognize that the fluid in the reservoir is not normal brake fluid.

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2011 at 5:11pm
Yeah, exactly as Patty said, it gets like Diesel in the cold when DOT5 is mixed with any other type... I hope that isn't the case, but most shops do only stock DOT3...
Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2011 at 5:14pm

Brian, I thought you had the groovy blue brake fluid in both your braking and clutch hydraulic systems. If so, you're in the clear.

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2011 at 5:29pm

Hey all,

The Blue is in brake only, we planned to convert this year but the trans took over:).  I got home, took K's turkey baster and drained the max and topped up.  They would not have noticed the purple colour you think?...lol, it was white and way overt the full line, so I know it wasn't me.  I packed my bleeder system and all for tomorrow, pitt side work if we need to.

I have a new slave from the Dr., plans were to flush the system with alcohol, install the slave, even considering the master and running the Blue DOT4...might be the time after tomorrow:).

Until then, thanks again, see you tomorrow, heading to Soundgarden...tomorrow am will come fast...lol

Cheers

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2011 at 5:37pm

Originally posted by Bassman Bassman wrote:

...it was white and way over the full line, so I know it wasn't me.

White ??!!!  Oh gawd no...

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2011 at 5:40pm
Ya...tools all packed up and we will bleed in the pitt tomorrow
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic