West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Technical Questions and Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Transmission Work Required

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transmission Work Required
    Posted: 06 June 2011 at 12:36pm

Hello all,

On Saturday I lost reverse and slowly as I was making my way home 2nd really started to stiffen up.  With suggestions from David I tried all the options in adjusting the cables with no success, and even disconnected the cables and tried manually to get into reverse...no luck.

So I can drive forward and deal with a stiff 2nd gear, hope there is a hill to roll backwards if required...lol. 

I had the trans worked on by John (an old club member) when David did my clutch upgrade last year, I just called Mister Transmission and he is no longer there, the owner said to bring it in and their head mechanic can look.  Now I just called the Burnaby location as it would be allot easier to get to and from, and they said they will work on it also...anyone every had work done by these guys?

David thinks it maybe the fork, which taking this to a shop scares me...I am willing to pay, if there is anyone in the club that can help I would appriciate this as I am willing to pay, please PM and we can talk...if anyone has a shop that they could suggest I would also appriciate.

Since I have only had the car out since the clutch maybe 8 times, this tickes me off a little, but while I have insurance on it I would like to get it fixed because I have a few autox I want to attend.

Thank you all...Brian

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">
beken View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote beken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2011 at 12:51pm
Back in the 80's when I autocrossed, I went through a clutch a year.   I suspect, at least twice, it was a broken clutch bearing or the fork came off the clutch assembly.   Thankfully, I did not leave any gears or transmission oil. The 4 speed is strong if not for the bearing and the clutch.

I had my last clutch done at Bert's Automotive when it was still on Kingsway between Knight and Fraser. I have not changed my clutch or had transmission work done since. Maybe it's getting close to that time again. That was before this club existed, I think.   

Beken (aka Ken) - bekentech@westcoastfieros.com   Original and still the owner of an 85SE 2M6 4spd
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2011 at 1:01pm

Thanks Ken...there is a Bert's in New West, but the first question for me is "do you even want to consider working on my Fiero, and do you have anyone who has an idea".

For you autoz and wear through a clutch a season...what the heck were you doing?...lol

Thanks Ken...

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2011 at 1:18pm
My friend Andy works at the Mr Transmission on Lougheed near Brentwood Mall.  Phone them and ask for him (he's not the manager).  Tell him you're a friend of mine and that you would like his opinion.  I trust him totally.  Not the cheapest place though...:)

In the end, it may be cheaper to just find another tranny.  Our old car might be up for parts soon.  There's a good Isuzu in there.

The Dawg
You dream it up....I'll make it
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2011 at 5:57pm

Hey Dawg,

I called there and they would do the car, one guy there know's Fiero's.  I do have another trans, but currently still unsure of what the problem really is which sucks.

Thanks for the offer also, but I like the 4spd and gear ratio for autox:)

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

beken View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote beken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2011 at 11:43am
Originally posted by Bassman Bassman wrote:

...what the heck were you doing?...lol

I suspect the early clutches and throwout bearings were not set up properly for the torque of the then new V6.

I wasn't doing anything overly stressful. No burning rubber or anything like that.   

My first experience of GM being in trouble.   They wouldn't warrant my clutches claiming clutches were wear and tear items. Even though it was the bearing or fork that was breaking.

Beken (aka Ken) - bekentech@westcoastfieros.com   Original and still the owner of an 85SE 2M6 4spd
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2011 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by Dawg Dawg wrote:

My friend Andy works at the Mr Transmission on
Lougheed near Brentwood Mall.  Phone them and ask for him (he's
not the manager).  Tell him you're a friend of mine and that you would
like his opinion.  I trust him totally.  Not the cheapest place
though...:)In the end, it may be cheaper to just find another tranny. 
Our old car might be up for parts soon.  There's a good Isuzu in
there.The Dawg

Hey Dawg...maybe we can chat on Saturday at the meeting...I might
be able to make it, thinking might be good to bring the car out with all
there and see if someone might have a better idea what might be
wrong.

Now speaking with Blair was suggesting to swap to an Isuzu if I can
find one...I have my old 4 speed, but maybe we can chat about your
Isuzu...

Cheers
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2011 at 9:12pm

Now speaking with Blair was suggesting to swap to an Isuzu if I can find one...

There have been plenty of discussions about this over the years at PFF, and it just happens there's a current thread on this very topic...

Should I swap in an Izusu 5sp?

As usual, opinions vary.

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2011 at 9:17pm

Aw, those gears are so tiny. lol

Have you considered just going nuts and doing a six speed, Mr Brian?

Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2011 at 9:59pm

Ya...it's about the budget Tristan:)...and reality anyways is I could help and all but I don't have that knowledge.

I rolled the car out and only had a problem with reverse, just won't go into gear, no grinding at all and clutch feels fine.

I was thinking to flush my clutch line and see how that does...maybe the cable still...or reverse is just farked:).

I do have my original that worked great, so maybe just swap...but still need help:)

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2011 at 11:09pm
Wouldn't be the clutch... That'd make it hard to get in and out of all gears, not just reverse and a little bit of second.
Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2011 at 1:42am
Once I get a couple pay cheques under my belt, the plan right now is to have another tear down party at Dave's place.  At that point, you put your name on the list with the part(s) you want and you show up on the day and remove it.

At the end of the day I get the carcass hauled off.

I was going to try and sell her off but I have at least $1000 worth of engine goodies in that car.  Who's going to give me that for a Fiero with a blown motor?  Yup....better to part it out.

The Dawg
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2011 at 6:17am

Originally posted by Romeo Romeo wrote:

Wouldn't be the clutch... That'd make it hard to get in and out of all gears, not just reverse and a little bit of second.

So what then...stretched cable?

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2011 at 6:19am

Thanks Dawg...we'll see what works as I am the same not wanting to spend money this season, so if I have the push myself in/out of grid parking at autox, then so be it:)...or drop my original one back in instead of a conversion.

Hope to see you all Saturday at the meeting...

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2011 at 11:15am
Brian I would get a clean white plastic container and drain some tranny oil into it.  After several seconds I would plug the hole with my finger to give me the time to examine the top of the plug.

Does it have gray colored metal sludge on top or is it clean?

Any chunks?  How about in the container?

No sludge - very good
A little sludge - is ok
More sludge - not so good
Chunks - Very bad

It sounds like your linkage has slipped of perhaps a detent has come loose inside.  If there was no BANK, CRASH, oh god what was that, it's probably something minor inside that needs looked at.  Still means taking the tranny out I think.

Show up at the meeting so the guys can have a look at it.  It is possible that it's an exterior problem.

The Dawg
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2011 at 1:59pm

Hi Dawg,

I was thinking to check the fluid, I am home early and will take a drop by and see your buddy at Mister Trans and have a chat also:)...Thanks Dawg...

Cheers, Bb

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2011 at 2:57pm
So I am currently on the corner of Lougheed & Beta by Brentwood
Mall, waiting for a flatdeck from BCAA...lost 2nd gear, then 1st...then
lost of grinding and clunking...was really hard trying to get over to the
curb lane with 3rd gear only...

Called Mister Trans and Andy is there Dawg, they are expecting me
and will update later...think we will swap back in my old trans and use
any parts from this one they need...so to answer whether cables or
not, I say not:)...lol

Hate sitting on the side of a road
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2011 at 3:47pm
Dawg, just met Andy, says I need to get my Hamm licence:)...so car
at shop, will bring my old trans over and let's see where we end
up...how much ya think everyone:)...lol
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2011 at 12:06am

Dawg, just met Andy, says I need to get my Hamm licence:)

Of course Andy is always right....:)

The Dawg
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2011 at 4:38pm

Hi All,

I just got a call from Andy at Mister Transmission and they cannot find a problem with the trans that was in...he says the cables are really worn and the shift linkage is sloppy.

I had the Dickman Muncie select arm rebuild kit (brass bushings), he said even with this it's sloppy.

I need to ordwer and get the cables and any other suggested parts to him fast and tie up bay space, not like he can push and leave my car to be raided in a parking lot...suggestions please...I need to place a order ASAP and pay the additional courier.

I am thinking both cables and new bushings, and thinking from Rodney, not FS.

Cheers...Brian

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic