West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Technical Questions and Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1986 SE with 3800 V6 & cacked 3 spd auto

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote mapleleafr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1986 SE with 3800 V6 & cacked 3 spd auto
    Posted: 27 June 2011 at 10:34am

New to Fieros and this forum. Always wanted one and decided to finally bite and got bitten.... so far

I have a 1986 Fiero SE that the previous owner put a 3800 V6 and for some reason a 3 speed auto tranny. Anyway, the tranny is dying, it revs high before changing gears,. I was wondering if anyone has some technical knowledge / experience with a 4 spd auto option or better yet a 5 speed manual, from reading Internet posts a Getrag 282 (Muncie 282) might a good option IF I could find one.

Looking thru compnine website my VIN decode show that my Fiero originally had a 2.8L / V6 mated to a 4 speed manual (Muncie).

Any advice pricing and availabilty would be greatly appreciated.

Medic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2011 at 10:51am
I know where you can get a 4 spd muncie and all the stuff to convert it. Cheap!
Apparently they are stronger?
88 GT Northstar 6 Spd
mapleleafr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mapleleafr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2011 at 11:00am
Please let me the info , and if I could get an installed price ? The Fiero  would have to be towed over unless can do a mobile service call ?
Medic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2011 at 11:07am
No that's not installed.

I know a guy who has a car with a 4 spd and a 5 spd. You could get all the parts at a really good price. Install yourself as it would cost a fortune to have someone do it..
88 GT Northstar 6 Spd
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic