West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Technical Questions and Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wheel offsets and spacer plates

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2011 at 11:29am
hehehehe....If you bring flowers you'll get a hug.....<blush>

The Dawg

Originally posted by Car-2-Lo Car-2-Lo wrote:

That's okay, I'll bring flowers for Dawg at next meeting, I love you

You dream it up....I'll make it
Car-2-Lo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Car-2-Lo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2011 at 7:44am
Originally posted by Dawg Dawg wrote:

hehehehe....If you bring flowers you'll get a hug.....<blush>The Dawg

That's okay, I'll bring flowers for Dawg at next meeting, I love you

That's not all Damien, now the club want us to sit together

Car-2-Lo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Car-2-Lo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2011 at 10:22am
Hey Patty, Brian has really nice 17"s for your ride, they will look and perform better than those girly wheels
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2011 at 12:43am

Great place to get spacers HERE

Would those necessarily be superior to These?

$75 complete (includes shipping) for spacers 25mm/1" thick. Hubcentric as well.

Car-2-Lo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Car-2-Lo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2011 at 7:57am
No Patty, if you want performance for autocross get your self decent light weight racing wheels with proper offset !

If you want looks only (like me ), then go with US Alcoa 6061t6 billet aluminum.
Those for $75 does not say "made in USA" ?
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2011 at 2:54pm

Originally posted by Patrick Patrick wrote:

These are $75 complete (includes shipping) for spacers 25mm/1" thick. Hubcentric as well.

I found some feedback on these spacers Here. Seems like people are happy with them.

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2011 at 4:21pm

And here's a good tip for anyone who's experienced vibration while using hubcentric wheel spacers...

DIY: Wheel spacer vibration fix

I wouldn't bother at all with non-hubcentric wheel spacers. I think you'd just be asking for trouble.

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2011 at 12:02am

I ordered two pairs of these wheel spacers tonight. One pair for the back of the duke, and a second pair for another club member (who shall remain nameless in case he can't bear the shame).

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2011 at 3:07pm

I ordered two pairs of these wheel spacers tonight. One pair for the back of the duke, and a second pair for another club member (who shall remain nameless in case he can't bear the shame).

Classy! Now I want to know though... Oh well, I remember where everyone's rims were sitting before. I'll just take note if anyone's move out.
Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Colby View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2011 at 11:03pm
Patrick, I just found a topic on Pennock's about bearings and hubs which might interest you.

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/108566.html
88 Formula 5 speed

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2011 at 12:09am
It's ok Patty, you'll be happy to hear that in order to maintain my mudder rims and tires, I have a spacer that will be taking my 8-lug bolt pattern down to a 5-lug.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2011 at 12:39am

Originally posted by Cheese Cheese wrote:

Patrick, I just found a topic on Pennock's about bearings and hubs which might interest you.

Thanks Colby, that eBearing fella is a pretty smart cookie.

Of course, the whole time I'm reading that thread I'm expecting to see something about 1" wheel spacers being a big no-no.

After reading what the eBearing fella was saying, maybe I'll just stick to using my hard street tires on the autocross track.

Colby View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2011 at 1:16am

After reading what the eBearing fella was saying, maybe I'll just stick to using my hard street tires on the autocross track.

Yeah, it does kind of make you think. At least with autocross we're only exploring the car's limits for maybe 7 minutes worth of driving a day. If Brian hasn't had any issues yet, they can't be too bad. It does make me feel better about sticking with my current tires on the lighter 14" rims, though, I had considered running something wider and stickier.
88 Formula 5 speed

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2011 at 7:18pm
I enjoyed reading about the brief discussion on converting to an A3/A6 set-up though. As was mentioned, this would strengthen the bearings to the point where the weakpoint became the ball-joints.
Zac88GT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Zac88GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2011 at 9:19am
There seems to be a lot of confusion around wheel spacers
with bearing loading. If what you are asking is:

"Is there any difference in bearing loading between a
wheel with the correct offset and a wheel with a
different offset and a spacer to compensate?"

then the answer is NO. If you were to bolt the proper
wheel to the bearing hub, and the offset wheel, spacer,
and another bearing hub together, they would be
dimensionaly identical as would the forces being
transmitted through them.

Where the added bearing loads come in is when you choose
wheel + spacer offsets that are different from the
original wheels. Typically people want to put wider
wheels on, but due to interference with the strut they
need to buy wheels with a more negative offset. This
moves the centerline of the wheel further away from the
bearing which will increase the moment the bearing is
required to support.

Interestingly, increasing the tire diameter will cause
added bearing loads due to lateral forces, but I've never
seen this brought up before.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2011 at 10:29am

Originally posted by Zac88GT Zac88GT wrote:

There seems to be a lot of confusion around wheel spacers with bearing loading. If what you are asking is:

"Is there any difference in bearing loading between a wheel with the correct offset and a wheel with a different offset and a spacer to compensate?"

Yes, that's what I was asking. I was using the word "stress", but "load" is probably the proper term. 

then the answer is NO. If you were to bolt the proper wheel to the bearing hub, and the offset wheel, spacer, and another bearing hub together, they would be dimensionaly identical as would the forces being transmitted through them.

< Patty dances a jig around the room >

That's exactly what I was suggesting.

Now Zac, I gotta ask... What qualifications do you have to make this dissertation? I didn't have any formal "physics" education to back up my arguments, so nobody believed me.  How will the young bucks here be convinced that what you've said has any merit?

Zac88GT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Zac88GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2011 at 10:57pm

Now Zac, I gotta ask... What qualifications do you have to make this dissertation? I didn't have any formal "physics" education to back up my arguments, so nobody
believed me.  How will the young bucks here be convinced that what you've said has any merit?

-I have an advanced diploma in mechanical engineering technology.
-I'm a registered graduate mechanical technologist with ASTTBC.
-I am now only one semester away from a bachelors degree in mechanical engineering.

Glad I could shed some light on the subject
Colby View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2011 at 1:28am
Interesting way of looking at it, though I'm having trouble grasping how it's dimensionally identical if, on the wheel with the spacer, the wheel's spokes are further away from the center of the car than the wheel with the proper offset. Doesn't that matter?

I came to my conclusion by taking a look at the simplest case where gravity is the only force (ie. the wheel is off the ground). In this case I feel certain than the wheel with the spacer will be exerting more torque on the bearing. Despite the end of the wheel ending up in the same spot as the wheel with the proper offset, more of the mass is further away from the bearing than the wheel with no spacer. I tried to make it clear to Patrick when I spoke with him that I wasn't even considering what happens when the car is accelerating (whether that's around a corner or in a straight line), things just get too confusing for me then.
88 Formula 5 speed

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2011 at 12:06pm

-I have an advanced diploma in mechanical engineering technology.
-I'm a registered graduate mechanical technologist with ASTTBC.
-I am now only one semester away from a bachelors degree in mechanical engineering.

Glad I could shed some light on the subject

Thanks Zac, all input into this discussion is appreciated, especially when it agrees with my stance.

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2011 at 12:13pm

Originally posted by Cheese Cheese wrote:

I tried to make it clear to Patrick when I spoke with him that I wasn't even considering what happens when the car is accelerating...

That's true Colby, but I don't recall either one of us (or anyone else involved earlier in the discussion) making an issue out of that in particular.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic