Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Build Threads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RBS in-limbo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 27>
Author
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2011 at 9:09pm
Very coolenjoyable day
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2011 at 9:10pm
I remember Clarence from the Pontiac Show! Wonder how much of a difference that bump steer kit will make? You'll have to test it out at autocross, eh Johnny Boy?
Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Colby View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2011 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by Car-2-Lo Car-2-Lo wrote:

Patrick, these are the you saw yesterday and I had them about 5 years now, I don't know how they work, maybe the wrong bolts?
So I put on the old ones for now, where can I get those camber bolts you and Colby have ?

Those are the bolts I have and they make adjusting the camber soo much easier. Just spin them until the black part is as lined up to the rest of the bolt as it can be and slide them in. You turn the head of the bolt to adjust the camber.

I think the style of bolt that Patrick has actually lets you get a larger range of camber, but the bolts you have already should work fine.
88 Formula 5 speed

Car-2-Lo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Car-2-Lo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2011 at 9:59pm
Thanks Colby, I'll try it tomorrow
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2011 at 12:38am

I have something similar to what Patrick posted.  However instead of a washer on the end, it is one molded oblong piece with degree's marked in it. Which allows you to set the wheels with the same camber.  I believe i bought it at Lordco for around 30 bucks.  I have them installed on all my pre 88 Fiero's.

As to how well that bump steer kit is going to work, it will be night and day, John you are going to love it.  Its the next best thing to installing an 88 Cradle in your car, and I'll bet with your fancy coil overs and really big tires, you should be even better off than any 88 on the road.   However please tell me that Blair has convinced you to go to the Lebaron brakes.  I am really scared for you.  At higher speeds, those stock Fiero rear brakes just are not going to give you the stopping power you will need to save RBS.  I know you like having an e-brake so Grand Am rear is out of the question, but look into the Lebaron swap.  I am sure Blair can tell you all the parts and cheaper ways of doing it.  Plus the larger brakes will look so Amazing behind you FAT wheels and tires.  Before you ask, yes you can go with Rear only Lebaron.  Mainly due to your really large rear tire.  There is no way you are going to lock it up even with the grand am on the rear before your fronts lock up, as you already have the equal to Grand Am front brakes.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2011 at 2:16am
I will chime in here and say Dave's suggestion is a very good one Johnny.

Our new car has this very same conversion and it rocks!  Lebaron rotors and Cadillac calipers. And yes, we have a functioning parking break also which is nice...:)

Not the easiest conversion to do however.  If you decide to try this you're welcome to come and see our setup.

The Dawg
You dream it up....I'll make it
Car-2-Lo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Car-2-Lo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2011 at 8:16am

Thanks Capt and Dawg for your suggestions going bigger brakes, that was always on my list, but you know I've been putting it off.
I love Willwood 13" or Corvette 12", but that's just a pipe dream , so lebaron it will probably be. Blair gave me the list of part for that.

FLASHBACK...

A couple mouths ago Clynt and Patrick helped me installing a larger brake booster for $50 from the wreckers.
Some fun shots of that swap, clynt showing me how it's done, then makes you do it

The brake booster did make a difference, it's a start for now.

Car-2-Lo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Car-2-Lo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2011 at 9:09pm
Hey Capt, the old RBS nose is ready for you to be picked up

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2011 at 11:04pm
Johnny Boy, when are you putting the new nose on? I wouldn't mind stopping in and helping out. With my camera.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2011 at 5:58am
Thank You John.  Do you have an area to hold on to it for a while as I am horribly busy right now. Working all week, Lisa and I's wedding anniversary, and then a bachelor party on Saturday and a Wedding on Sunday.  I am thinking I might try and paint it yellow and put it on the front of my 88GT, as the change is subtle enough that it might not get noticed by ICBC collector people.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Car-2-Lo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Car-2-Lo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2011 at 8:01am
No rush Capt, lots of room here, maybe if I'm out that way I'll drop it off in yard (dam fence is to high for me )

Romeo: it won't be for a while, got to shorten the front frame about 4" to 5" first

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2011 at 7:04pm
Thanks John, and WOW, you are really going to take 4-5 inches off the front.  Not much more than that and you will have to start tweaking the upper radiator mounts.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2011 at 7:20pm
I am already liking what I hear, Johnny.
Car-2-Lo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Car-2-Lo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2011 at 9:13pm

Today Fred taken off rack pinion steering (he's much stronger than me)

Got rack pinion steering from Blair last year with a latte, this spring our man Clynt rebuilt it ready to go into RBS

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2011 at 9:28pm
What are you changing with the steering? Quicker ratio? Power steering? Both?
Car-2-Lo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Car-2-Lo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2011 at 10:14pm
I wish, it's the same just rebuilt, nice clean grease, boots, bushings and inner tie rods
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2011 at 10:24pm
Pfft, still good to see it maintained. Making sure you can still point RBS where you want is also a plus. =P
Car-2-Lo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Car-2-Lo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2011 at 10:36pm
The front suspension and steering are all original parts (25 years old now) and will be replacing bearings and ploy bushings.
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2011 at 9:42am
I have a box of poly's here for here for you, minus one bushing...
Car-2-Lo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Car-2-Lo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2011 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by Romeo Romeo wrote:

I have a box of poly's here for here for you, minus one bushing...

Thanks Romeo, it's all yours, I have a COMPLETE set
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 27>
  Share Topic