West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » General Fiero Chat » General Talk about Fieros
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Street Solutions DTB

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote 1Shamrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Street Solutions DTB
    Posted: 10 August 2011 at 12:25pm

Hello all,

Long time Fiero owner first time poster... I'm actually in the process of having a 3.4L installed in my 88GT. I did have plans of having the car painted this summer and in the fall I was hoping to purchase a ported Intake Manifold for a small winter project from the Dawg… But unfortunately, my poor little GT overheated one day and it blew the head gasket… After sitting at the shop for a few days I was given the bad news that the heads were in bad shape and the total bill was much more than I had first anticipated. So, I had it towed across town to a shop that specializes in muscle cars restores and race cars and began putting money towards the 3.4 swap… This is the second Fiero I’ve owned and I plan on having it for a long time.  

While waiting for my next paycheck to come in to throw more money at the swap, I started searching around the internet looking at performance options for the 3.4L, when I ran across this new intake from Street Solutions.

http://www.tlg-store.com/High_Performance_Fiero_Intake_Manif old_p/4010104.htm

I’ve been poking around different Fiero sites looking for more responses on this new intake and I didn’t see it listed on this one… So, I thought I’d be proactive and post it here for anyone that might have missed it…

Thanks everyone,

1Shamrock

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2011 at 2:28pm

Thanks for the post, I am really interested in reading more on this...and interested in how your 3.4 install works out, are you local?

Cheers, Brian

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">
1Shamrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 1Shamrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2011 at 2:55pm

No Problem on the post Brian...

And I'm local... If you consider Minnesota, local... jk...

This intake definitely looks awesome, and since they’re located in northern Minnesota (only about 2 hours away from me) I contacted them directly to see if they could cut me a break on the price if I dealt with them directly… Unfortunately, that wasn’t the case… But they seem to be very friendly and answered any questions they could in regards to this intake. Currently, from what I’ve been told they are working on a fully finished install of one of these (the one pictured is more of a prototype I guess) on a Fiero with a ported lower intake manifold and a full exhaust setup. I was told that they would be posting more pics of this install along with some numbers after they get it Dyno’ed!

If it performs as good as it looks… I’m going to take the plunge and get it next summer…

I’m not much of a gear head, but I would think with this a 3.4L would SCREAM!

I’ll keep you posted on the 3.4L Swap as details come out…

So far, I got a freshly rebuilt 3.4L out of 94 Camaro with the starter relocated to the other side of the block… Most of the other parts ordered should be in by Monday… Now, I just need to pay the remaining balance for the labor…

Thanks Brian!

AL

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2011 at 4:20pm

Very cool Al...I am at work so my reply is short:)...keep us posted with your build also, we all like to see nice Fiero's...and I am not much of a mechanic either, but I do performance drive at autox & track days, so my 3.2L would enjoy this system.

Cheers, Bb

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

1Shamrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 1Shamrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2011 at 11:15am

Will do Brian!

Yeah, I bet any Fiero would benefit from one of these intakes! Makes me almost wish I stuck it out with my 2.8 for another couple of years and just upgraded to one of these instead. I’m really curious to see what kind of numbers they’ll pull out of this thing once they do get around to tossing it on a Dyno and seeing how it compares to the Trueleo and other ported intakes…

Just out of curiosity, how did you end up with a 3.2? Did it start off as a 2.8 or a 3.1 and juiced it up from there?

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2011 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by 1Shamrock 1Shamrock wrote:

...new intake from Street Solutions.

http://www.tlg-store.com/High_Performance_Fiero_Intake_Manif old_p/4010104.htm 

It ain't cheap!

$650 plus shipping your OEM manifold and TB back to Street Solutions (or losing the additional $50 core charge). That's $700, which doesn't include the air intake/filter kit (another $250) plus other optional add ons. Altogether it would cost about $1200 for everything.  And for how much additional power over the stock 2.8's 140hp?

IMO, a 3800SC swap would make a whole lot more sense (dollars spent/power gained).

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2011 at 2:17pm

I don't know if I would spend $250 for the other part of the intake though. K&N universal filters that fit the stock throttle body are only $40 each, and aluminum tubing is both cheap and very easy to weld.

And of course an engine swap will always be the best dollars/HP ratio, but sometimes it's fun to push an engine as far as it will go just to see what you end up with. =)

Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
1Shamrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 1Shamrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2011 at 2:36pm

I have to agree… It ain’t cheap!

If it were say $700 with the air intake/filter kit included, I’d order it up right now! But with a price tag floating around $950.00 to $1,200.00 and with an unfinished 3.4L swap going on for me right now I honestly can’t justify getting right now. But by next spring I wouldn’t mind picking one up…

I’m really curious to see how much more power can be achieved by using this setup versus other intakes on the market today. It really does look promising.

Although, I doubt a stock 2.8 using this intake will be blowing the doors off of any SC 3800’s anytime soon… It is considerably cheaper than doing a swap and if it “breathes” new life into a 20+ year old engine to make it more competitive then by all means it should be considered a winner even if the admission to ride is a bit steep at first.

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2011 at 3:45pm

Although, I doubt a stock 2.8 using this intake will be blowing the doors off of any SC 3800’s anytime soon… It is considerably cheaper than doing a swap...

Well, maybe just the cost of this intake is "cheaper" than an engine swap, but let's compare apples to apples. 

Please don't take this as a criticism ('cause it's not!), but I would be curious what your costs have been to put in that 3.4 compared to say, club member Harrison's cost to swap in his 3800SC?

I'm not a big fan of the 2.8 (and the several variations of it, including the 3.4). Limited power, no matter how much money is thrown at it.

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2011 at 4:35pm

The 3900 is still the 60-degree, pushrod V6 we all know and love, and it makes a stock 240HP and 240ibs-ft of torque, and that's with natural aspiration. You can make good power with the little buggers, but you are right in saying it's far easier just to swap to a blown 3800 Series II.

Besides, I stand by my opinion that it's fun to try and do the things no one does, just to see what you can do.

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2011 at 4:39pm

Originally posted by Romeo Romeo wrote:

Besides, I stand by my opinion that it's fun to try and do the things no one does, just to see what you can do.

Like what, autocrossing a duke? Been there, done that.

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2011 at 4:40pm

Hi Al...yes I bought my car from a buddy bone stock, blew the engine a month later, then the Dr. with our club did a full rebuild to a 3.2.

I have had many other updates since...I pretty much race the car only now, it was more of a show car until I visited a friend one day for autox and that was it...wife has hated him ever since...lol

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2011 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by Patrick Patrick wrote:

Like what, autocrossing a duke? Been there, done that.

Like, anything. If raw dollar/speed ratio was the only concern, we'd all be driving fourth gen Camaros with 350's up front. And frankly, it'd be dull as hell. I like the bizarre, the unique, and the assanine. It's what makes modification fun. It would've been easier for Johnny Boy to simply buy a body kit for his Fiero. But he didn't, he wanted to do something entirely unique. And what he ended up with is easily one of my top five cars of all time as a result. Not only because it's beautiful, but because he did what he wanted.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2011 at 5:30pm

It would've been easier for Johnny Boy to simply buy a body kit for his Fiero. But he didn't, he wanted to do something entirely unique. And what he ended up with is easily one of my top five cars of all time as a result. Not only because it's beautiful, but because he did what he wanted.

Yes, Johnny did what he wanted. Is RBS beautiful (any longer), very difficult to say...

1Shamrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 1Shamrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2011 at 6:01pm
Hey guys,

Well to be honest I would have loved to have dropped in a SC3800
my Fiero as it is in my opinion one of the best engines to have in a
Fiero, but unfortunately, with the cost being what it is for me to have
done by any of the shops in my area it would've been completely out
of my price range.
So, here were my options...
Fix the 2.8 for $1800.00
or
Drop in a SC 3800 for $10,000
or
Drop in a 3.4L for $3800.00

So I settled for the 3.4L...

Sure, it wont be the fastest Fiero this side of the Mississippi, but it will
put a little more pep in her step and keep my Fiero on the road for
many more summers to come... and really that's all that I'm after.
Sure, if I can squeeze a few more ponies out of the 3.4 for a $1000.00
bucks down the road I'm all for it. I just don't have the funds or the
resources needed to throw down big money on a big swap.
Heck, I'm already getting sideways looks from my wife with the 3.4
swap...

Just curious here, but how much did that other SC3800 swap go for?
1Shamrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 1Shamrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2011 at 6:10pm

Hey Brian,

It took you an entire month to blow up the engine?
What took you so long? Jk...

Wow! That must of sucked!

I actually want to stay married so we probably shouldn't talk any
more... jk...
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2011 at 6:16pm

...with the cost being what it is for me to have done by any of the shops in my area it would've been completely out of my price range.

Drop in a SC 3800 for $10,000

...... Is there no one in your area who posts on Pennock's who does these swaps? Sounds like the shops there are terribly expensive.

Just curious here, but how much did that other SC3800 swap go for?

You may not want to hear, but perhaps Harrison (who did it himself), or Johnny (who paid to have it done) will chip in with a round figure.

D_sensitized View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Executive Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote D_sensitized Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2011 at 9:03pm
I don't know exactly how much it ended up costing me in the end, but certainly nowhere near 10k. I would say under 3k. I did it slowly over a couple years so don't remember everything.

Here's a list, let's see what I remember
engine/trans/wiring/ECM-$1000 The guy who picked out the engine was thorough-mounts, wires, rad, even the steering column and key.
Head work(hot tank, valve grind etc)-$500 I think
rebuilding parts(gaskets/injectors cleaned/plugs/timing chain/etc)- $700
Axles-$60 (junkyard)
Exhaust-$250
PROM reprogram-$60
mounts-$40 (junkyard/custom)
and the rest for raw materials/random brackets/etc.
Can't remember what else I needed at the moment but that's most of it. I went to Lordco so much, I ended up working there haha.

I did a lot of the work myself like building the axles, wiring harness, exhaust, brackets and such. Now that I look at it a big chunk of that was rebuilding the engine (which it didn't really need but I did some porting etc)

The more you can do yourself the better. If the engine is fine and doesn't need rebuilding then you can take a big chunk of that out as long as you can do the rest of the labor yourself.

build thread

Also, it only took me an hour of ownership to blow up my 2.8 which was fine, the 3800 was waiting in my garage already.
-Harrison
88GT 3800 SC1 F23 5-speed
Chilliwack
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2011 at 9:33pm

Hey Brian,

It took you an entire month to blow up the engine?
What took you so long? Jk...

Wow! That must of sucked!

I actually want to stay married so we probably shouldn't talk any
more... jk...

It happened and I spent some good money on my car, close to $15k now over 6 years I think. She was a looker that took a few car show ribbons:

This was a fun day at Blair's...miss ya man:)

Here we go guys...my first time autox with car show stock...even a loaner helmet...

To how she pretty much is now, with my beautify wife/navigator...new tread and a few things...had V710's in this pic, have to have those again

Memories...sorry Patrick I know the pics are big...go ahead and edit

Cheers, Bb

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

karnak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote karnak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2011 at 9:53pm
Bigger is better...

Nice Car!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic