West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home Β» General Car Chat (Not Fiero Specific) Β» Car Talk thats not a Fiero
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

13 high-end luxury cars impounded

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 13 high-end luxury cars impounded
    Posted: 01 September 2011 at 11:37pm

Surprised no one has commented yet on This news story.

------------------------------------------------------------

Alleged B.C. street race with $2M in luxury cars

13 young drivers fined, cars may be seized permanently

CBC News

Posted: Sep 1, 2011 8:18 AM PT

Last Updated: Sep 1, 2011 3:01 PM PT

A high-end vehicle is impounded after an alleged street race in Metro Vancouver on Wednesday. A high-end vehicle is impounded after an alleged street race in Metro Vancouver on Wednesday. (CBC)

B.C. Mounties say 13 high-end luxury cars were impounded and 13 people fined after an alleged street race in Metro Vancouver on Wednesday afternoon — and police are looking at permanently seizing the vehicles.

At about 3:30 p.m. local time, police received several complaints of high-end cars speeding southbound along Highway 99 in the area of the George Massey tunnel.

Witnesses reported the cars were travelling at speeds up to 200 km/h, and on several occasions two cars would travel side by side and slow down to allow vehicles in front of them to take off in a race.

The impounded cars

• 2007 Ferrari 599
  • 2010 Lamborghini Gallardo
  • 2010 Lamborghini Gallardo
  • 2009 Lamborghini Gallardo
  • 2009 Audi R8
  • 2012 Nissan GT-R
  • 2010 Nissan GT-R
  • 2010 Nissan GT-R
  • 2010 Maserati Turismo
  • 2010 Maserati Turismo
  • 2011 Mercedes SL63
  • 2011 Mercedes SLS
  • 2005 Aston Martin DB9

The cars exited the highway into Surrey, where six of the 13 vehicles were stopped by Surrey RCMP. The other seven cars were located and stopped by White Rock RCMP a short distance away.

Thirteen drivers were pulled over and their cars — worth a total of more than $2 million — were impounded.

"The vehicles that we're dealing with here were Lamborghinis, high-end Mercedes, Maseratis, Aston Martins, high-end Nissan sports cars," said RCMP Insp. Bryon Massie.

"The majority of them had personalized plates as well and were souped-up, so they're fairly distinguished and the witnesses had no problem in providing us with the descriptors that were tracked back to the vehicles."

The drivers have each been fined $196 and will have to pay for the cost of impounding and storing their vehicles for seven days.

However, RCMP Supt. Norm Gaumont said police are looking at tougher measures.

"So we've asked our team to be looking at the possibility of criminal charges and ... if we have enough evidence to lay a charge of dangerous driving. We're also going to be looking at seizing the vehicles for good," Gaumont said.

The names of the drivers have not been released, and Massie said it's not clear where they are from.

"The drivers of the vehicles are all in around the age of 20 years old. They're all new drivers. The majority of them do not have their full driver's licence status — they're still in the 'N' new category," Massie said, referring to B.C.'s graduated licensing program, which puts restrictions on new drivers and requires them to put an 'L' or 'N' decal on their car to alert other drivers of their novice status.

The registered owner of the Lamborghini, Massie said, is only 18 years old.

He said it appears the group was getting together to celebrate one of their colleagues leaving the area.

Massie said the incident highlights an important message to drivers: "Speed is fairly unforgiving. Whenever you're involved in a motor vehicle accident where there's any speed at all, it's unforgiving ... Slow down, be responsible and understand that speed limits are there for a reason."

Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2011 at 12:24am

Yep saw it read it, laughed about it.  If I were that age and had those car's I would have been right there with them, hell even at this age, I would have been right there with them.   Seeing as they have enough money to have those cars, a $196 fine and 7 days impound fee's is probably not more than pocket change to them, whoop de doo.  A suspended lisc just means you don't have a piece of plastic in your back pocket and won't stop someone from racing. 

They also probably have some really good lawyers on retainer, that will get there cars back for them and avoid any jail time. 

I'll bet they are all sitting around at some high end bar laughing about it.  Probably eager to do it again, all the media attention has made them famous.    About the only way to really punish these guys is to find out where they are from, and deport them.  

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Graeme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Graeme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2011 at 12:45am
Great. Hopefully their cars will be crushed and they're fined so far up the ass that they're grandkids will feel it. Jail time doesn't do these kinds of vagrants and criminals justice. If one of these pricks raced by me, "accidentally" clipping me and my little girl into a ditch or a tree.. hell hath no fury, I can tell you that. There's no place for that kind of stuff in society. Take it to a track.

I'd have to say I'm disappointed in your attitude towards it Dave. You've got a daughter, you can't tell me you don't worry about idiots on the road crashing into you today? You seriously would risk others' children for the "rush" or racing on public roads at 200k an hour? I don't believe that for a second.

my 2 cents
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2011 at 11:59am
200 does seem a little much in that scenario. This is assuming anyone really knows what the speeds were anyway.  Those cars can go MUCH faster than that.

For me Graeme it's all about civil liberties really.  I like to think I choose specific safer times to enjoy my car and I stay within calculated speed ranges that I feel comfortable at.  My hope is that is enough to keep me and everyone else out of trouble.

Lets face it, I'm 46 now and have never been involved in anything but a very low speed fender bender.  You're safer in my vehicle than an air liner....:)

Some of these less experienced drivers either have no clue how close they are coming to death or they don't care (death wish).  Those people scare me.

The responsible citizen in me says "It's a shame there are no publicly designated areas where speeds can be raised" and the rebellious teenager in me says "f**k these overbearing rules, I need air".

Dawg
You dream it up....I'll make it
DannyCanuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DannyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2011 at 12:08pm
These guys need to learn about something called the Duffy
lake road.

A: the fastest you can go on it is about 160-180,
B: there are no cops.
C: there is no traffic.

Driving like that in the city is stupid and reckless. But
dam I with by first car was a lambo.
88 duke, bog standard
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2011 at 12:08pm

End of day, they are at home laughing and the legal system failed again!!!...if not them, their parents who are errogant enough to buy their kid a car like that should be posted publicly and humiliated for their actions...makes me sick!.

I see this at Mission on the track days and how young these idiots are...and their attitude because of their fortune knowing money can get them out of any problem...

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">
Graeme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Graeme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2011 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by Dawg Dawg wrote:

For me Graeme it's all about civil liberties really.  I like to think I choose specific safer times to enjoy my car and I stay within calculated speed ranges that I feel comfortable at.  My hope is that is enough to keep me and everyone else out of trouble.

Believe me, I get that. I'm certainly not doing the speed limit at 2 in the morning after heading home from a friend's place going down highway 15 or over the golden ears bridge. There are rarely any cops anywhere around there and most of the time the road is dead at that time. But during the day I think that "civil liberties" should extend to those driving on the roads. I should have the right to travel on our public roads in relative safety. These nutcases were not being safe, as we all know what it was like to be driving at 18 to 25 or so (maybe a longer range for others). "Invincible" comes to mind.

Anyways, they want to do this on a private road/track then have at it. I couldn't care less.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2011 at 12:56pm

Originally posted by The writer of the <A href=http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2011/09/01/bc-cars-impounded.html target=_blank>the news story</A> The writer of the the news story wrote:

The registered owner of the Lamborghini, Massie said, is only 18 years old.

When I was 18, I owned a '67 Chev that I had bought for $1200.

How does an 18 year old own a Lamborghini?

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2011 at 1:01pm

Not their miney bud...they are over here for university of who know's and get their allowance...life style s of the rich and ugly...

Glad your coming out Sunday Patrick:)...I am still working on the Fiero to make her as nice looking as a Porche witrh the new DA polisher kit...lol

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2011 at 1:10pm

No surprise, the fix is in. Amazing what a lot of money will allow wealthy bastards to get away with. (Note: No, not all wealthy people are bastards. I'm not saying that. I'm just referring to these punks, and possibly their parents.)

Quoted article Here.

----------------------------------------------------------

No evidence to pursue more charges against sport car drivers in speeding convoy

By EVAN DUGGAN and TRACY SHERLOCK, Vancouver Sun August 31, 2011

More than $2 million worth of high-powered sports cars were impounded in Surrey and White Rock after a convoy of youths were apprehended after racing along Highway 99.

Photograph by: Gary Hanney, Special to the Vancouver Sun

• For more photos of the impounded cars, click here

METRO VANCOUVER -- Despite catching a convoy of youth in 13 high-powered sports cars on camera, police may not have enough evidence to pursue further charges.

Cameras in and around the George Massey Tunnel captured the cars as they cruised southbound toward Surrey, but the footage provided no evidence of speeding, police said on Friday.

"We already checked the cameras," said RCMP traffic services' Supt. Norm Gaumont, adding that "nothing dangerous happened in the tunnel," probably because of rush hour congestion.

Several witnesses have come forward saying that the pack, which included Maseratis, Lamborghinis and Mercedes, were driving on Highway 99 Wednesday afternoon at speeds upwards 200 km/h.

The drivers face charges of driving without due consideration for others, which comes with a $196 ticket and six driver penalty points, which will trigger a $300 penalty point premium.

Gaumont said Thursday there is a lot of disappointment that the drivers face only $196 fines, but there is not enough evidence to charge them with the more serious offence of dangerous driving.

"We don't have police officers who observed the offence, and we don't have lasers and radars that have the speeds," Gaumont said. "We have to really depend on third-party individuals who had called in."

Gaumont said if he gets the evidence he needs, he will pursue more serious charges and try to seize the vehicles permanently.

"Certainly, if I could, I would, in this case," Gaumont said in an interview at Bayview Towing in Surrey, where some of the vehicles are being held. "If we do get the evidence, I will be pursuing it, but in this case they may have been lucky."

The vehicles, together worth more than $2 million, were impounded in Surrey and White Rock after the incident, which involved youths from Vancouver and Richmond.

Gaumont said the incident began just before rush hour at about 3;30 p.m., "when we got multiple calls coming in that multiple expensive vehicles were racing down Highway 99.

"We were able to intercept six of these vehicles in Surrey and the other seven were intercepted in White Rock."

The 13 flashy cars — a Ferrari, three Lamborghinis, three Nissans, two Maseratis, two Mercedes, an Audi and an Aston Martin — were seen driving at speeds upwards of 200 km/h, RCMP said.

"We were very lucky that nobody lost control or was hurt or killed," Gaumont said.

At one point, two of the drivers appeared to be driving side by side holding up traffic to free up racing space for other cars.

The drivers — 12 men and one woman — were all under the age of 21, and six still had their N, or novice, licence. One driver did not have a B.C. licence, and was using a foreign licence, Gaumont said.

Just one driver was the registered owner of the vehicle he was driving.

One car had less than 200 kilometres on the odometer, police said.

Besides the fine and the penalty points, the drivers will also be on the hook for all of the towing and storage costs — about $350.

The cars will be impounded for seven days, Gaumont said, adding this is the first time he has seen this many vehicles impounded at once.

In spite of the incident, Gaumont said he thinks the province has strong enough deterrents against street racing in place, given that police have the ability to seize vehicles if they have sufficient evidence.

Gaumont said the novice drivers would have their licences reviewed by the superintendent of motor vehicles.

"For those that fall under the graduated licensing program, one possibility is that those will lose their licence and have to start all over again back in the learning stage."

Gaumont said he did not know where the drivers were headed.

"They were going for dinner in White Rock, is what [the youths] said," said Gary Hanney, a freelance cameraman who arrived at the scene in Surrey at around 5:30 p.m.

It took until about 8:30 p.m. to get all the cars loaded onto tow trucks, he said, explaining that because there were so many cars, two towing companies had to "shuttle" the vehicles to a pair of lots.

"Not too many of them were in low spirits," Hanney said of the drivers, adding that one asked to have his car, a blue Lamborghini, towed to his home, because he had a trip planned to Los Angeles the next day.

Last fall, a $235,000 Ferrari impounded after a street race that reached speeds of 200 km/h was forfeited under the Civil Forfeiture Act.

eduggan@vancouversun.com

tsherlock@vancouversun.com

The 13 vehicles seized:

2007 Ferrari 599

2010 Lamborghini Gallardo

2010 Lamborghini Gallardo

2009 Lamborghini Gallardo

2009 Audi R8

2012 Nissan GT-R

2010 Nissan GT-R

2010 Nissan GT-R

2010 Maserati Turismo

2010 Maserati Turismo

2011 Mercedes SL63

2011 Mercedes SLS

2005 Aston Martin DB9

© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2011 at 2:44pm

Originally posted by Graeme Graeme wrote:

Great. Hopefully their cars will be crushed and they're fined so far up the ass that they're grandkids will feel it. Jail time doesn't do these kinds of vagrants and criminals justice. If one of these pricks raced by me, "accidentally" clipping me and my little girl into a ditch or a tree.. hell hath no fury, I can tell you that. There's no place for that kind of stuff in society. Take it to a track.

I'd have to say I'm disappointed in your attitude towards it Dave. You've got a daughter, you can't tell me you don't worry about idiots on the road crashing into you today? You seriously would risk others' children for the "rush" or racing on public roads at 200k an hour? I don't believe that for a second.

my 2 cents

Why would you do something as stupid as crush a Ferrari or Lamborghini? Those machines are worth $200000. It would make a hell of a lot more sense to sell them. And jail doesn't do them justice? Jail does murderers justice, I think it's fitting punishment for a street race that involved no crashes, damage or fatalities of any kind...

Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Graeme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Graeme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2011 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by Romeo Romeo wrote:

Why would you do something as stupid as crush a Ferrari or Lamborghini? Those machines are worth $200000. And jail doesn't do them justice? Jail does murderers justice, I think it's fitting punishment for a street race that involved no crashes, damage or fatalities of any kind...

No. They cost that much, not worth it though. That's not a fact though, just an opinion.

Murderers should get exactly what they gave. Jail time doesn't do them justice either.

Again, just an opinion.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2011 at 3:07pm

Again, just an opinion.

I guess I'll never understand why it's perfectly acceptable for some members to post an "opinion" on the club's forum, and yet it's somehow improper for others to do the same thing.

Just an... observation.

Graeme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Graeme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2011 at 3:37pm
You just never know when to quit do you Patrick? incredible..... What's wrong with you man?? seriously? Haven't enough people told you to back the f**k off??

There's a huge difference between being outright rude and disrespectful and having an opinion.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2011 at 3:44pm

You just never know when to quit do you Patrick? incredible..... What's wrong with you man?? seriously? Haven't enough people told you to back the f**k off??

There's a huge difference between being outright rude and disrespectful and having an opinion.

Nice.

In all the years that I've posted on internet forums, I've never ever addressed anyone in that manner. Not even close.

Take a good look in the mirror, Graeme.

AllanJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote AllanJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2011 at 4:55pm
Here comes another opinion.... 

Couple things come to mind.  It's too bad the cops didn't witness the incident themselves, because then proper charges could've been laid, backed up by either speed measuring equipment or a trained eye. As it turned out, all they had to go by were phone calls from Joe Public and then the cops/crown can only go so far.  No seizing of cars unless other evidence turns up.

I think the province could use plenty of extra money so I'd love to see seized cars sold and the proceeds going to fund hospitals, schools, etc.  Maybe even a closer race track than Mission!  It seems like a waste to crush them.

As far as finding a nice "safe" place on a public road to let 'er rip - I'm completely against it.  Yes, I do think the speed limits are artificially low, but I spend a lot of time driving fast on a track and know very well that <bleep> happens out there.  How well maintained is the average car?  Can it withstand driving at speed - safely? 

It's high risk even on a well-manicured race track as opposed to a poorly maintained road in the sticks where rocks, wildlife and cars leaking all kinds of crap can make for a scary situation.  Ever driven hard in a corner only to find yourself driving on antifreeze?  It's like ice.  Ever had a deer jump out in front of you?  It will destroy your car and maybe kill you.

Do you think the average person will instinctively do the proper correction for all the different types of understeering and oversteering situations they could find themselves in?

Driving at high speeds requires some training and skill-building, no matter how good the driver thinks s/he is.  You just can't learn all the skills you need, unassisted, on a public road.

Cheers,
Allan

AllanJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote AllanJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2011 at 5:08pm
Another article about this group - with a different bit at the end.  The "Porsche Train" group is a bunch of friends and I'm part of that group.  I practice what I preach.  

http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/News/local/2011/09/01/18630826.htm l

Cheers,
Allan

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2011 at 5:16pm

Originally posted by AllanJ AllanJ wrote:

The "Porsche Train" group is a bunch of friends and I'm part of that group.

That's really cool Allan, and here I thought you guys drove down to Oregon!

CFoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CFoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2011 at 11:29am
I like the idea of going fast.Who doesn`t? Speed enforcement...don't get me started.

Time and place though.

In my old age I'm beginning to wonder about my tires and suspension, but in my youth I would run topped out in my '68 rambler (it was 20+ years old at the time, I'm not that old) at 80mph, as fast as it would go (83.5 to be exact...had to pump to get accelerator pump output at the top end). No concern what-so-ever.

I wonder now what would have happened if I came around the corner to a broken down minivan. Not good.

For this reason I'm going to take my car (once it's done) to the track to really run it hard.

But, when you have a km or more visibility stright line any day of the week (Lake Cow hwy) it's hard not to pull the trigger once in a while.

Why someone would open it up on Knight St. or other main artery is beyond me! At least on the highway there is some room, but at 200k things come up reallly quick. Too quick.

Chay
86 SE 3.4
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2011 at 1:17pm

In a separate incident, two more kids are caught racing their expensive sports cars (BMW and Porsche) on a public road. This time both these idiots are 17 years old... 17 years old!

Flipping burgers must pay an awful lot more than it did when I was that age.  

----------------------------------------------------------

Street-racing vehicles impounded in West Van

CBC News

Posted: Sep 2, 2011 7:49 PM PT

Last Updated: Sep 2, 2011 7:43 PM PT

This BMW ended up in a ditch with extensive damage after the novice driver allegedly eluded police.

This BMW ended up in a ditch with extensive damage after the novice driver allegedly eluded police.

Two street-racing teenagers have had their high-end vehicles impounded and face charges after police clocked them going more than 140 km/h in West Vancouver, police say.

A police officer spotted the cars on Cypress Bowl Road just after 10 a.m. PT Friday going 143 km/h in a 60 km/h zone, said Cpl. Jag Johal.

“The driver of the BMW sped past the officer in an attempt to elude,” said Johal.

“The driver of the Porsche made an evasive manoeuvre by pulling a u-turn and fleeing away from the officer.”

Johal said the BMW was located in a ditch with about $15,000 damage and the Porsche was located at a nearby school.

Both vehicles were impounded for street racing and the two 17-year-old novice drivers were prohibited from driving for 15 days.

Police will be recommending the charges of excessive speeding and failing to stop for police, said Johal.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic