West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » General Fiero Chat » Fiero Spotting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Maybe buying a Fiero and need some info

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote 86_Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Maybe buying a Fiero and need some info
    Posted: 02 November 2011 at 12:08am
Like the title says. Possibly buying a new Fiero with
everything I want done for way less. I want some
information on it if anyone can provide it. It is for sale
in Victoria. It's a white 1986 Fiero GT with a 305 TPI V8
installed. Wilwood brakes, coil over suspension kit etc.
Has a headlamp motor issue and a high idle issue.
Does this ring any bells?
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2011 at 12:27am

That's a nice car (I've seen the ad), but it's a lot of money for a Fiero that's not perfect (and not an '88).

Have a look at This Fiero, which incidently enough was also built over on the Island. I'd say it's a superior car, and it was bought by a club member recently for a lot less than $10k.

86_Fiero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 86_Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2011 at 12:41am
Compared to the trials and tribulations I'm having with my
current Fiero Pat I say this one is a walk in the park.
Plus as a bonus my current car can become the parts car and
this one can be my new daily. It's got what I've got
planned for my own Fiero and
it's road ready. Mine is not.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2011 at 12:50am

Originally posted by 86_Fiero 86_Fiero wrote:

Money really isn't the object here.

Don't let the seller see this. It'll kind of put a crimp in your negotiating ability.

In regards to your original inquiry, headlight motors can be rebuilt, and a high idle is often a sign of a vacuum leak.

86_Fiero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 86_Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2011 at 12:55am
Well rebuilt or swapped. I have 2 full spare sets. Often
enough but I don't know the engine or who/what/where the
work was done etc so I'm not going to jump the gun on that
problem. But other than these things which I am quite able
to fix no one knows anything about who owns the car and
what kind of treatment it has received etc? Understandably
I don't want to buy someone's car that they messed up a
rebuild on and it konks out 15 mins down the road after I
bought it or something stupid like that.
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2011 at 1:10am
Unfortunately that's a risk you take with any used car. If nothing else, you can take solace in the fact the 305 is used in absolutely EVERYTHING, making any parts easy to find.
Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2011 at 11:26am

Just so it's obvious what we're talking about...

1986 Pontiac Fiero GT Custom V8 Race Car - $10000 (Victoria)

Date: 2011-10-18, 2:51PM PDT
Reply to: sale-ps8z2-2656771472@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

This fun to drive, 5 speed manual custom race car is in excellent condition and has been carefully built and maintained.
It has a custom completely rebuilt performance 305 TPI V8 installed with only 3,000 kms on it. It has amazing torque, nice handling
and is a real head turner! The suspension is a specialty coil over racing suspension with 12" brakes. This mid engine sports car has
amazing handling characteristics and brakes to match. The body of this car has about 163,000 km on it.
Hundreds of hours and over $50,000 invested. For Inquiries, Call 250-479-1388.

Financing Available!

Options & Features:
Rebuilt getrag 5-Speed Manual Transmission with new clutch, Racing suspension and brakes, Completely performance
rebuilt 305 TPI V8, MAF, high lift cam, Archie plate, Ryane/ Held slalom coilover suspension kit, Rear 88 cradle,12" Wilwood brakes,
Custom exhaust, Oil cooler, Alarm, Stereo, CSI electric water pump, Custom prom, Custom sway bars, New battery.
Problems: needs a paint job, rip on left side of drivers seat, drivers side headlight motor issue, motor idles too high (2000rpm).

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

kharmata View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kharmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2011 at 10:22pm
$50k invested?
Kevin
08GSXR1000
86_Fiero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 86_Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2011 at 10:25pm
Maybe. I'll be checking it out this weekend if I can ever
get a hold of the owner. If everything checks out I'm
driving it home.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2011 at 12:16am

If everything checks out I'm driving it home.

Did you drive it home?

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2011 at 12:28am

TPI is awesome, but drop the 305, and throw in a 350. THAT will make a racecar (And as an added bonus, the TPI system is identical between the two, save for the heads). And $50000? I'm no math-whiz, but unless there's a spare Fiero in that deal, that seems unlikely...

86_Fiero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 86_Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2011 at 6:05am
I decided against it. I've got a different car coming
home with me on Saturday. I being young and having no
credit cards have not built any credit. Good or bad. So
naturally I needed a cosigner and sadly I have no one to
cosign with me. I have my own 350 sbc already. I just
have to pull the cradle from my current fiero, rip every
possible piece I can save and scrap the carcass. Then
with my spare cradle I can start to mount the 350 and
figure out mounts etc. Anyone here know how to do that?
ie I drop off my chevy motor and cradle, get it mounted
and take it back?

Cheers,
Cody
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2011 at 9:49am

Generally most people buy the V8 Archie kit. If you were extremely confident in your fabrication abilities though, you should be able to get everything lined up by putting the cradle in, lowering in (Or dropping the Fiero on) the small block, then seeing where you'd need to make mounts and what size, etc...

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2011 at 12:14pm

Money really isn't the object here.

As you've discovered, money (or the lack of it) is aways a consideration.

Buying "toys" on credit is a huge mistake.

86_Fiero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 86_Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2011 at 12:53pm
Apparently. I figured with buying a car at 10k on credit it was a good way of building some credit. Therefore when I go on to purchase a house I would already have established some good credit. Was I thinking wrong here? Anyways I'm making the conversion to a GT. I'm getting it either tomorrow or Saturday. Mechanically it needs a tune up and the interior roof liner needs  replacing but everything I need is going to come from my current car. Also going to try my hand at some body work. modding the front bumper and the rear. Bring the whole appearance of the car lower to the ground. After of course putting in some lowering springs.
1987 Pontiac Fiero - dropped 2.5 inches - cold air intake - no cat - cherry bomb equipped
If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88MPH your gonna see some serious sh*t.
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2011 at 1:24pm

You weren't thinking wrong - it's a brilliant idea really, and it'll be something that pays off in the end for sure. Doing it with a car though, especially an older model, isn't the best way to go about it though. Things break down (Especially on Pontiacs) which means they're going to cost a lot more than sticker value. Usually the best way to buy a car is to see how much you can afford, then divide that in half at least.

Keep us posted on the build though, sounds like you might end up building something better than what you would've bought anyways!

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2011 at 1:27pm

I figured with buying a car at 10k on credit it was a good way of building some credit. Therefore when I go on to purchase a house I would already have established some good credit. Was I thinking wrong here?

Have you been following the news? Half the civilized countries on the planet (including our friends to the south) have their economy in the dumpster because of people being encouraged to overextend their "credit".

I'm 55 years old and have never bought a car on credit. I always figured if I couldn't afford to pay cash for a car, then I either needed to do without or to set my sights a little lower.

Years ago I got a mortgage on a duplex without  "establishing" credit elsewhere first. I then directed all my earned income into paying off that debt as soon as I could. So I suppose I now have a great credit rating, but I could care less. I have no plans of making use of it. I'm not eager to help contribute to some wealthy banker's early retirement!

Back to gearhead stuff... Did you buy the Fiero you've decided to use locally. Was it listed in Craigslist?

86_Fiero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 86_Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2011 at 5:30pm

Money hasn't yet exchanged hands but it will be driven up to Nanaimo from Duncan and I will be giving the guy a ride back probably cause he's using his other Fiero's plates. I will then be "test driving" it and if I'm completely and utterly happy with it money will be exchanged. Yes it is the orange on black 86 GT on Craigslist. I've seen it around. Has it exchanged a few hands? Should I run?? I've seen it in Ladysmith, Nanaimo and now it's down in Duncan. I'm sort of concerned but maybe I'm just being paranoid. Doesn't help that all 3 Fiero's I've owned have been quite the handful of trouble. I know I know old things have ticks bla bla but seriously. It shouldn't be that bad. A broken replaceable part. easy. Not motors blowing, dash's lighting up like a christmas tree. I'm done. I just want to drive.

1987 Pontiac Fiero - dropped 2.5 inches - cold air intake - no cat - cherry bomb equipped
If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88MPH your gonna see some serious sh*t.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2011 at 5:54pm

Yes it is the orange on black 86 GT on Craigslist. I've seen it around. Has it exchanged a few hands? Should I run?? I've seen it in Ladysmith, Nanaimo and now it's down in Duncan. I'm sort of concerned but maybe I'm just being paranoid.

You have got to be kidding me!

After everything I posted in This thread, you still want to buy that Fiero?????

Good luck...

86_Fiero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 86_Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2011 at 6:42pm
So maybe it has been in an accident but it looks pretty
clean from the outside. Worst case scenario I strip it down
to the carcass and toss it aside. Put all the parts into my
own Fiero I have. Money hasn't been exchanged so if it
turns out to be really bad then I'll just say no and keep
on saving. Right now I need something that drives and mine
isn't roadworthy anymore. not as far as driving. Apparently
it's had some work done. I'll check it out.

Keep you posted,
Cody
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic