West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Technical Questions and Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Where can I get a radiator fan?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote InfernoFiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where can I get a radiator fan?
    Posted: 18 May 2012 at 4:22pm
For the 1984 Pontiac Fiero with A/C, where can I get the radiator fan? Apparently it's broken, and neither North Shore Auto Parts nor Lordco have the part. Where could I get the part local or online?

Also, the fan completely died the very day the Dickmans temperature sensor  was installed (the one that pops in at 210 degrees)... Could there be a causation between the two as in the sensor may have potentially overworked the fan?

Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2012 at 1:20pm
Not likely.  And besides - Dickmans switch makes the fan kick in at 180.

If you're SURE the fan is dead (applied power directly to it?), I'd retrofit a "generic" S-blade one that you can get from Mopac etc.  They're FAR and away more efficient, pushing more air, while using about 1/10 the current.  Worth the work to make one fit.

Make sure the fan relay is working.  Pull the wire off the sensor, and ground it.  Have someone up front listen for the relay pulling in.  If it does, stick a meter or test light across the 2 leads going to the fan and make sure there's power there.

InfernoFiero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote InfernoFiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2012 at 2:31pm
Alright thanks again for the help, how long and complicated do you think it is to retrofit the "generic" S-blade from Mopac? Will my doctorate in rocket science come in hand? 
Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2012 at 3:23pm
Bah, I've only got a measly masters in rocketry, and with some simple fabbing you could probably be good to go in an hour I'm thinking. With your doctorate, probably 45 min's or less!

Steal the connector off the stock one.  Wiring done.
Make up some extensions from the stock mounting points to pull the new points in closer (as the stock ones have big long 'arms' that stick out, and most fans now are more like a square, with mounting points inboard of the corners).

Once you've got a fan in hand, and put it where you want it, you should be able to visualize some simple brackets.

Just measure the shortest side of your rad (top to bottom) core, and take off like 2-3" to allow for the shroud.  Then get a fan in about that diameter.

Check these out for some ideas of shape and size.  Mopac sells a generic version of them that's about 1/2 the price.

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2012 at 6:07pm
Wonder if there is a posting on Pennocks?...
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">

Post Options Post Options   Quote InfernoFiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 2:11am
Thanks! What CFM should I keep in mind when purchasing a generic s-blade fan for the Fiero? The one I saw was 1250, and that is less than half the CFM power of 3000 of the black magic fan.
Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 7:33am
I'm not 100% sure, but I get the feeling that anything you get will out
blow the stock unit.   

Just make sure it's going the right way, as they're reversible (right
Clint?!).

Post Options Post Options   Quote InfernoFiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 2:24pm
Thanks. When you said steal the connector off the original one, you man take it off and solder it? 
Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 2:56pm
After you're SURE the original motor is dead (ie, no mistake were made!) just snip it off, strip it, slip some heat shrink up the wires and solder it all up.

Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2012 at 12:01am
Your fan was fine last time I checked it. What happened?

Dawg
You dream it up....I'll make it
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic