West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Technical Questions and Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

84 Wiring differences, Looking to do a 4.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote 4.9 Cad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 84 Wiring differences, Looking to do a 4.
    Posted: 23 September 2012 at 10:04pm

Hey guys & gals, I'm new to the site and looking for info about the 4.9 swap. I have a complete running, driving 92 Deville to start with but so far the only decent Fiero I have found around here (okanagan) is an 84.

I have read something about staying away from swapping the 4.9 into the 84 body because of wiring location and compatibility issues.........

Is this a huge obstacle or is there an easy way around it?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice. Im sure I will have a lot of questions as time goes on.

4.9 looking for a home.
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2012 at 1:27am

Well the 84 is horrid to do a swap in, due to the main harness instead of being by the battery is on the firewall right above where a V8 exhaust manifold is going to be.

If you are doing a carb 4.9 then you can relocate it and re-wire the entire engine bay. If you are doing fuel injection then you need to keep that junction point as all the fuel injection wiring goes through there to the ECM and you are kinda screwed with an 84. I actually recommend find an 87 4cyl Fiero as your donor car. They have the correct throttle cable already installed, the 87 Coolant pipes have a T in them that is perfect for the 4.9 heater lines and the better headlight motors, plus if you don't drive the car hard the Isuzu 5spd is the best trans for a 4.9. FOY Racing in Roy washing does have Cryo Treated Isuzu's that can be used and are great at making an Isuzu live up to the torque of the 4.9.   There are a lot of great donor cars down here in the mainland that would work great for you, for fairly cheap.  You would just need a pickup and rent a car hauler from U-Haul to come get one.   I have done 2 4.9 swaps and would be doing a 3rd if it was not for Family and personal health issues.  I am sending my car to FOY Racing to have my next swap done for me.  They are about 225 miles south of Surrey BC in ROY Washington.    Send me an email to capt@captfiero.com and I'll send you my spread sheet of parts that I used for my swap, it includes where I bought it, part number and what it cost.  Do you have Excel?

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
CFoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CFoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2012 at 9:49am
If you want to stick with the '84, I just did a 88 cradle and 3.4 turbo into one. You can either rewire to go around the center connection, or you can use some thermal wrap (DEI products) to cover the wiring.

The colours are a bit different for the wiring, but it's not THAT much different. If you are doing your own and can understand a schematic, then it can't be that different.

I don't know anything about the other cooling and throttle cable details and stuff.

Also, check the decklid for clearance; I don't know if the engine is too tall for the 84 4 banger decklid. I had to change to a V6 type to get the V6 in. Too bad cause the 84 decklid was mint and I liked the louvers in it.

Chay
86 SE 3.4
4.9 Cad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 4.9 Cad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2012 at 7:19pm

So I had to put the project on hold. Deal fell through on the Fiero and I had issues with my daily driver so ended up fixing the few little things on my Deville and have been driving it. I've debated transplanting an M90 on to it in the deville

Im still looking for the right fiero and will decide what swap to do when I find one. Now to figure out what to do with this caddy........

4.9 looking for a home.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2012 at 7:27pm

Where are you located? 

Also I know of a place getting a prototype M90 fitted to a 4.9 for use in a Fiero if you are interested.

My Project Fiero has to be either relocated to a storage place or sold. So I am thinking I might sell it.  If you are on the mainland I might be able to work something out with you.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
4.9 Cad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 4.9 Cad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2012 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by Capt Fiero Capt Fiero wrote:

Where are you located? 

Also I know of a place getting a prototype M90 fitted to a 4.9 for use in a Fiero if you are interested.

My Project Fiero has to be either relocated to a storage place or sold. So I am thinking I might sell it.  If you are on the mainland I might be able to work something out with you.

Im in Penticton. Is it your 4.9 swapped Fiero your thinking of selling?

4.9 looking for a home.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2012 at 7:49pm

Oh No, my 4.9 car is being rebuilt at the Race Shop in Washington for me.  Its done and I am really eager to bring it home.

This is the car I am going to be letting go.  www.captfiero.com/newproject

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
4.9 Cad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 4.9 Cad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2012 at 7:52pm
Nice. Is it running?
4.9 looking for a home.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2012 at 12:52pm

Complicated answer.  Does it run Yes.

However, it needs a water pump, the pump is 3/4 removed and the new pump is here in a box.  One of the calipers is draging, and may just need the sliders re-greased.  However in my current condition I am in no way able to do the work.  The city is on my case to get the car gone or put insurnace on it.  I can't afford to insure another car.  I am already insuring both my V8 and my 88GT, and Lisa is insuring the GTP and will have to put insurnace on the Blazer and her Fiero. That's 500 bucks a month just to keep the city from screaming at us. 

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Dawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2012 at 5:43pm
Boy that makes a bigger storage look better every day. Way cheaper
than insurance.

Dawg
You dream it up....I'll make it
4.9 Cad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 4.9 Cad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2012 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by Capt Fiero Capt Fiero wrote:

Complicated answer.  Does it run Yes.

However, it needs a water pump, the pump is 3/4 removed and the new pump is here in a box.  One of the calipers is draging, and may just need the sliders re-greased.  However in my current condition I am in no way able to do the work.  The city is on my case to get the car gone or put insurnace on it.  I can't afford to insure another car.  I am already insuring both my V8 and my 88GT, and Lisa is insuring the GTP and will have to put insurnace on the Blazer and her Fiero. That's 500 bucks a month just to keep the city from screaming at us. 

I dealt with the city here a few years ago too. Sold off a few toys and projects for the same reason. My problem was neighbours with nothing better to do than report people for anything and everything.

What are you looking to get out of it?

Or would you rather discuss that over pm or.....

4.9 looking for a home.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2012 at 6:35pm
Basically what I have got into it, which is about 500. The car also has a set of 4 near brand new tires on it. If I can't get 500 out of it, I'll probably part the car out and use the tires this winter as they are really good all season tires. The trans is a fresh rebuilt Isuzu 5spd there are tons of new parts on this car that the previous owner installed. The GT Nose by itself can be sold for 250 and to the right buyer the side skirts are worth another 150.   However I hate the idea of parting it out as its too nice to do that to. My original plan was to replace the water pump and aircare it, then use it as a winter driver, then sell it for about 1200-1500 to a student come spring. But this stay in the hospital, plus the city has got me in a bit of a pinch.

Dawg I thought about that larger storage but there is no way to get a storage locker big enough to fit all the cars and stuff. Even if we jumped up to $75 per month per person on a bigger locker. Between the 2 of you, Lisa and I and Tim that would be $375 a month, I still don't see it feasible.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2012 at 6:38pm

As to why the city came down on us in the first place its our own damn fault. We had an issue with cats peeing on stuff, and we put a chair and a couch in front of the house, with plans to send them to the dump, well the city saw them on the front lawn then started checking around behind the house and whamo freaked on all the cars. We have lived here for more than 7 years with all the cars and not had an issue until stuff got left out front. Our neighbors have had no issues with all the cars and in fact I helped a few of them do an engine swap on a pickup in the alley behind the house. Our other neighbor is fine with the cars as they have a son that is into tuner cars as well.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
4.9 Cad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 4.9 Cad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2012 at 6:39pm

I will see what I can do to line up a way to haul it here and get back to you on it.

How does it run and drive otherwise if I was to spend a few hours putting it together. Would you trust it to make it this far?

4.9 looking for a home.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2012 at 6:48pm
I have not driven it aside from a few feet as the alternator/water pump belt is no on it, and no water in the block. I just tested out the clutch and engine quickly. Everything seemed solid. The previous owner was commuting 100kms a day and had no issues with it, ran great until the water pump started leaking. I can't in all good conscience say either way. However if it were me, I would personally probably give it a shot, but I would hate to see you get screwed if something did go wrong so far from home.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
4.9 Cad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 4.9 Cad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2012 at 6:52pm
Well a friend of mine owns a towing company here but being his busy season it would cost me more if he had to rescue me on the Hope/Princeton. Lol. And could get a little cold.
4.9 looking for a home.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2012 at 7:33pm

Yes that would be freezing, maybe a tow would be safer. 

I won't be able to respond any more tonight as I am heading to bed.  Still feeling a bit under the weather, but the Morphine is helping.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
4.9 Cad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 4.9 Cad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2012 at 7:36pm
Ok well have a good night, get some rest.
4.9 looking for a home.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2012 at 9:24pm
So are you still thinking about coming to get the car?
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
ARTIC-1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ARTIC-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2012 at 5:06pm
Is the Fiero that is being moved a standard ? or Auto.
Your welcome to use my Fiero tow bar,only fits
a Fiero.Then you can Tow it yourself,an tow it
back home. cheers

http://www.westcoastfieros.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=209 3&KW=tow+bar

SNOW MAN

87-GT/AUTO-2.8_ WHITE

88-TTop/ Duke-2.5. RED
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic