West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Technical Questions and Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Squeaking belt when coolant fan comes on

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote InfernoFiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Squeaking belt when coolant fan comes on
    Posted: 22 January 2013 at 12:56pm
Hello,

I replaced my serpentine belt maybe six months ago (I replaced this belt twice, I believe in 1.5 to 2 years), and now when my coolant fan comes on while driving, there is an incessant belt squeaking. The squeeking ONLY intensifies while accelerating the Fiero, but remains quiet when not accelrationg or when the fan slows down to a halt -- when the coolant temperature ultimately dips below 220.

My question: would this be a cause for concern, do I need to get that checked and addressed immediately as the problem could get progressively worse? Or, can I continue driving like this without worry and the noise would just be the only concern?

Thanks! My Fiero is an 1984 A/C Fiero.
Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2013 at 7:47am
The 4cyl belts are always a problem (IMHO). A Gator-Back belt helps a bit. But in the end...  they're just too small.

Keep the belt tight (1/2" deflection per 12" of free belt area). Remember that a new belt will need a tightening after a few hundred miles.

InfernoFiero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote InfernoFiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2013 at 10:55pm
Thank you for the prompt response!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic