West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Buy / Sell » Interior and Car Audio
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stock AM/FM cassette belt replacement.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote beken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stock AM/FM cassette belt replacement.
    Posted: 01 March 2013 at 3:59pm
The tape deck in my Fiero hasn't worked in years (more than 10) and I have been meaning to replace the belt, but never got around to looking until today.

I pulled the unit out, carefully removed the bottom cover and was pleased to note that the tape player part of it looked like a separate unit simply bolted on inside with three 1/4" bolt head screws.

I also found the broken belt which simply fell out when I took the bottom panel off. So I am happy the problem was a mechanical wear and tear issue and not some electronic part burned out.

I removed the 3 screws and all the plastic knobs and proceeded to extract the tape deck when, to my chagrin, it moved, but would not come out. Jiggling it around, I noted that it appeared to be bolted down in one more place and I could not see it. Removing the bracket that mounts the deck to the car's console, I found another screw inside holding down the tape player. There is an access hole to put a screw driver with a slightly smaller socket than the 1/4" of all the other screws. I am not sure what that size is. Maybe 3/16". That access hole was hidden under the mount bracket that was removed.

Since I do not have a tool that would fit through that access hole and reach the screw, I will take it to somebody who probably does.

Dr. Fiero, let me know when you are home and I will pop by.

Also, where can I source a new belt locally? Is there another belt under there I don't know about?

I'm confused. The Fierostore has a belt kit that contains 3 belts for those with the equalizer. I only found one broken belt inside my unit.

Stay tuned....

Beken (aka Ken) - bekentech@westcoastfieros.com   Original and still the owner of an 85SE 2M6 4spd
beken View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote beken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2013 at 8:55pm
So I got the belts from Fiero store. The shipping is more expensive than the belts themselves, so buy something else to mitigate the cost a bit.

Thank-you, Dr. Fiero for installing the belts for me.

I plugged the unit back in and viola!!!   It works!   I plugged in a cassette (yes, I still have cassettes...lots of them) and it plays!!! Well, mostly pretty well. I found the volume knob to also be the knob that changes the tape direction. Everytime I changed the volume, the direction would also change so I had to tap the knob a second time to switch back. But the pinch roller was still in workable condition.

Secondly, I looked on eBay for a cassette adapter. Including shipping, or if you buy one from London Drugs, they range in price from $5 to almost $100.

I looked on Bestbuy's website and found a Dynex one for $7 so I picked one up today. Plugged in my iPod and though it's not exactly audiophile quality sound, it's fine for tunes in a noisy Fiero interior.

So I would recommend the cheap Bestbuy (Dynex brand) unit. Of course, if you are an employee of Bestbuy, your staff discount would make it around $2.

Beken (aka Ken) - bekentech@westcoastfieros.com   Original and still the owner of an 85SE 2M6 4spd
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic