West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Technical Questions and Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

just got my fiero but time to fix it up !

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote anbu101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: just got my fiero but time to fix it up !
    Posted: 01 May 2013 at 1:16am
ok well first things first is my steering wheel is very loose and wobbly so if any one could send me a pic or vid on how to fix this problem i would be very happy thanks! 
if only your engine was as big as your mouth
beken View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote beken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2013 at 9:47am
Welcome to the Westcoast Fieros of BC forum and congrats on getting a Fiero.

There are many reasons why your steering would be wobbly and loose. This is difficult to diagnose based on one sentence. The steering column in and of itself uses up 16 pages of my service manual (for 1985 Fiero) and I've attached a 1/2 page of the column diagram below.   Different years of Fieros had slight differences year to year as GM changed settings every year and totally changed out the suspension in 1988.

Once a car gets over 10 years old, things get loose and probably need replacing and it's not usually the steering column.    This is all considered routine maintenance. As all Fieros are over 20 years old it would be best to check everything out. It can all be fixed,but it takes time and costs money.

To name a few....
1. suspension:   bushings, tie rods, endlinks, shocks, springs.
2. steering rack (different years had different ratios): boots, gear assembly
3. bump stops.
Basically anything that might have rubber in them.

Also inspect all mount points to ensure nothing is working its way loose. Particularly joints and hinges.

Good luck and we'd like to see a picture of your car     

Beken (aka Ken) - bekentech@westcoastfieros.com   Original and still the owner of an 85SE 2M6 4spd
anbu101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote anbu101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2013 at 11:16am
ok thank you! and i belive it has to do with the steering column, i belive that the owner before me replaced it but may have installed it wrong and i would love to put pictures up as soon as i can :) im actually gonna put a list up of things i need/want to do to the car and see if anyone has some ideas they can shoot me
if only your engine was as big as your mouth
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic