Forum Home Forum Home » Events Section » Performance Driving
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

BC Corvette club driving skills event

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Executive Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote D_sensitized Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BC Corvette club driving skills event
    Posted: 15 April 2014 at 7:30pm
Coming up next month is the BC corvette clubs driving skills event on May 8th/10th. The corvette club has opened this even to the camaro club as well as our club, so if you want to go, you will need to drive your fiero.

Patrick posted about it in the autox dates thread here

For anyone who hasn't autocrossed before and wants to get into it, or just wants to be able to have a little more fun in our little sports cars this is a great place to start. For 50$, it really is cheap, considering most events are 40-60$ without any training at all.

I have registered and will be there.

Details:

BC CORVETTE CLUB DRIVING SKILLS EVENT

Thursday-May 8, 6:30PM to 9PM at Prestons Chevrolet, Langley Bypass, Langley. Upstairs Classroom.

Driving Skills Classroom covering the following:

1. Driving Basics
2. Vehicle Dynamics
3. Cornering Technique
4. Slalom Racing Fundamentals.

Saturday-May 10, 8AM to 4PM at the JIBC Driving Centre, 18200 Ford Road, Pitt Meadows, BC

Driving Skills Practise covering the following:

1. Threshold Braking
2. Vision
3. Accident Avoidance
4. Autocross Practise together with timed runs through the balance of the day.

The course is designed for all levels of drivers and is based on programs offered by professional performance driving schools.
Event is run under a CACC Autoslalom permit with ASN insurance.
Cost is $50 in order to cover the facility rental cost and liability insurance for the event. Room may be limited so please register early.

Register for the event by emailing vnightscales@netscape.net

Edited by D_sensitized
-Harrison
88GT 3800 SC1 F23 5-speed
Chilliwack
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2014 at 8:39pm

Harrison, thanks for starting this thread.

I just wanted to add to what you've posted with the latest info from Vic.

Originally posted by Vic Nightscales Vic Nightscales wrote:

I should also have mentioned that we would want the $50 payment prior to the event and people paying on the Thursday night, May 8 will pay $55.  That also gives us the ability to confirm numbers.  You can send your cheque for $50 payable to...

The BC Corvette Club
5722 124A Street
Surrey BC V3X2S6

So for anyone who's undecided about trying this... Don't worry that you haven't got the perfect car, or the stickiest tires etc etc. This will be, without a doubt, the best way to determine what you and your Fiero are capable of doing under pressure... in a totally safe environment. You'll have a blast!

Edited by Patrick
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2014 at 7:34pm

I received an email today from Vic Nightscales which has been sent out to everyone who's registered. By my count (of the other email addresses in the message), there will be 37 people (so far) attending this Corvette Club event. I don't know how many more participants they'll be accepting.

Is there anyone with a Fiero who's registered (or plans to register) who doesn't have a helmet for the autocross segment of the event? If so, mention it here and I'll ask Vic if there are any loaner helmets available.

Edited by Patrick
Fieroman88 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Executive Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fieroman88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2014 at 10:33pm
Last I checked 2 weeks ago, he said they were full and
apparently I am on a wait list. Hope I get in.
Fieroman88
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2014 at 10:43am

Originally posted by Fieroman88 Fieroman88 wrote:

Last I checked 2 weeks ago, he said they were full and apparently I am on a wait list. Hope I get in.

I knew this was going to fill up fast.

Originally posted by Patrick Patrick wrote:

Vic has also made it clear that space is limited.

If you wish to participate in this two-part event (good value at $50), please contact Vic sooner rather than later. You have been warned. Register now!

That was posted HERE back on April 5th.

Glenn, I hope you somehow get a chance to participate. It'll be a real shame if you miss this opportunity.

Edited by Patrick
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2014 at 8:43am

Turns out there was a cancellation and Glenn was able to register!  Saw him and Harrison last night at the classroom session of the Driving Skills event.

Looking very forward to getting on the track tomorrow. (First time ever with the Formula.) Appears that the weather will even be cooperating.

All I've got to do now is get the front end back together in time.  (Installing poly sway bar bushings and Rodney's zero-lash end links.)

Edited by Patrick
Colby View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2014 at 12:02am
Have fun at the event everyone! 
88 Formula 5 speed

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2014 at 6:26am

Thanks Colby. We'll give you a full report tonight at the club meeting.

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2014 at 10:13pm

Oh, it'll be fun alright... just a little unpredictable.

Yep.

Quite the day. I came within several inches of hitting the fence. My sunroof panel exploded into a thousand pieces. A good time was had by all.

Right now I'm having a tall glass of milk... half of which is Kahlua. Yummy.

Edited by Patrick
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2014 at 7:07pm

Glenn shot some video with his iPhone. The only problem was that he was holding the camera in the wrong orientation (while shooting in stealth mode ), and I had to figure out how to rotate it 90° and enlarge it. Anyway, came out pretty good. I think this is the only one of the four runs that I didn't make a bee-line for the fence and/or kill a bunch of cones.

Video at YouTube - BCCC Driving Skills Event, May 10th 2014

I'll post a couple more of the other videos when I've processed them.

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2014 at 10:14pm

Another video posted at YouTube - Harrison at BCCC event on May 10th 2014

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2014 at 10:44pm

And now the rookie - Glenn at BCCC event on May 10th 2014

Glenn did very well. We just need to get him a hi-def camera to use onboard the GT.

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2014 at 11:03pm

And me messing up - BCCC Driving Skills Event... screwup

I have no idea why that track worker felt compelled to fix a cone (that I don't even think I hit) just when I was coming around that loop for the second time!

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2014 at 5:20pm

I suspect the RAW times for Harrison got a little mixed up. Initially they had him and I in a dead even tie for our fastest runs, down to the same thousanths of a second, but I notice that's not the case in some of the results they sent us afterwards. It appears that Harrison may've actually beat me by a second. Damn that 3800sc.

Anyway, I thought I'd post this. It felt pretty good placing that high in a relatively unfamiliar car that I'm not satisfied with yet (suspension is too soft), but look at Glenn... first time on a track ever!

Edited by Patrick
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2014 at 3:42pm

A few pictures...

I like how Harrison has his GT perfectly balanced on his head.

A closer shot of Harrison's '88 GT (minus Harrison's head).

Glenn's '87 GT.

My '88 Formula. (I'll try and wash the green stuff off the hood next time.)

And this is Vic's 2014 Corvette. First one I've seen in person.

Edited by Patrick
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2014 at 4:10pm
Those new 'Vettes are really pretty. There's a fellow in
New West with one. First time I saw it, thought it was a
Ferrari.
Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Colby View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2014 at 12:41am
Thanks for sharing the pictures!

My sunroof panel exploded into a thousand pieces.

It just occurred to me that I meant to ask you about this, but forgot. How do you manage to destroy your sunroof panel at autocross?
88 Formula 5 speed

beken View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote beken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2014 at 9:40pm
Some pretty good times there you guys.   Nicely done.

Beken (aka Ken) - bekentech@westcoastfieros.com   Original and still the owner of an 85SE 2M6 4spd
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2014 at 12:57am

Originally posted by Cheese Cheese wrote:

My sunroof panel exploded into a thousand pieces.

How do you manage to destroy your sunroof panel at autocross?

I thought you'd never ask.

Thankfully it wasn't on the car when this happened, but someone at autocross ran over it!  

I parked where the organizers told me to park, and the usual routine as you know is that everything is taken out and piled behind the car. So I had removed my extra containers of water and oil and my fire extinguisher etc and put them on the ground with a tarp over them (because it was lightly raining in the morning). Later in the day I took off my sunroof panel and placed it on top of the tarp. It was actually a rather large pile, and it was right beside another fella's stuff, which included several chairs. A couple hours later I was standing beside my car in the starting grid and I heard an explosion.  I looked over and noticed a guy getting out of his car and staring down at the ground in the vicinity of my stuff. It didn't take long for me to put two and two together. I walked over and observed that my sunroof was in a thousand pieces! I'm not exaggerating. I don't think a single piece was any bigger than a quarter inch across.

I had planned to go directly to the club meeting after autocross, but I was a little concerned that it might possibly rain that evening. I didn't want to be driving home from Langley to Vancouver on the freeway after the meeting with wipers necessary on the inside of the windshield. So Glenn kindly lent me the sunroof panel off his mint condition '88 GT so that I could keep the rain out if need be.

And that's how my sunroof panel managed to be destroyed at autocross.

Edited by Patrick
karnak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote karnak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2014 at 10:35pm

ooh..

sounded like a fun day. i had considered the Buick for that event.. but then again...naaaa

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic