West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Build Threads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fiero - Ferrari 308 Rebody build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fiero308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fiero - Ferrari 308 Rebody build
    Posted: 15 December 2007 at 5:49pm

I have always loved the appearance of the Ferrari 308 (made popular on the TV show Magnum PI) and even though the real thing can be purchased for $30,000 or so it is still a 20 year old car, is very unreliable, very expensive to maintain and with an output of 240hp or so can be beaten off the line nowadays by a lot of family sedans!

Originally the plan was to build a kit car from scratch with Ferrari good looks but 2007 Corvette reliability and performance. While looking for a Fiero to build the kit on I found a completed car here in the lower mainland. It was a 1986 Fiero 2M6 that has been rebodied to look like a 1985 Ferrari 308 GTSi. I knew the car had a lot of problems right away but really I was just buying the kit.  I purchased it in June of 2007 for $10500.

Fiero308 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fiero308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2007 at 6:59pm

Here are the before photos

Fiero308 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fiero308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2007 at 8:42pm
The first order of business was to upgrade the mechanicals.  After discussing things with Chris Zander who is now working at B&N hotrods http://bnhotrod.homestead.com/ We decided to do the following

Engine and Transmission

GM zz383 crate motor  http://www.gmhorsepower.com/ZZ_383.html

6 speed transmission kit w/tranny    

Battery tray      

Getrag modified cable    

4 speed shifter assy     

Getrag cable

Distributor 

Fuel pump

Brakes and Suspension

Front:

Sport front suspension                      

Shocks Hal adjustable         

1" swaybar                               

Spanner wrench    

13" Willwood Brake kit 

http://www.pfyc.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product _Code=VT4022&Category_Code=C6SUSP&Affiliate=froogle

Rear:

Koni coilover kit                    

Bump steer correction 

1 ¼" rear swaybar             

Swaybar end link and sad

13" Willwood Brake          

Wheels and tires

So I dropped the car off December 2007

Fiero308 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fiero308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2007 at 8:58pm

So here is the work done as of December 14th 2007

Dash and center console removed

Empty engine bay

Painting and prepping the engine bay and all these really cool toys ready to be installed

New battery and tray installed in the front compartment

That is pretty much it for now.  Chris tells me he is still waiting for some more parts to be delivered from V8 Archie and we are discussing what to do with the interior.  Happy Christmas to everyone and I'll update the thread as things progress

Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2007 at 12:42pm
This car is going to be nearly insain.  Oh I can't wait to see, hear and be a passanger in the car for a boot.  I have ridden in 3800SC cars, 5.7 TPI V8 cars Ecotec swap cars, however this one is going to make all those cars look really slow.   I would start budgeting now for speeding tickets. LOL :) 
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Blair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2007 at 6:02pm
WOW, this should be interesting.
Fire451 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fire451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2007 at 10:01am
Just to fix one typo Hugh your car is a 1986 not 1996 there is also solid cradle mounts in the car now and the engine bay insulation form west coast fiero and the tpi fuel injection unit that is a chorme unit from S&P (street and performance)
Fiero308 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fiero308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2007 at 1:21pm
Thanks for the corrections Chris
Car-2-Lo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Car-2-Lo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2007 at 1:44pm

I am totally speechless with this build.. What year of cradle are you using??
Johnny-B-Good

Fire451 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fire451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2007 at 1:59pm

The cradle is out of a 84 to 87 car that we bought from a member on the fourm

Fire451 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fire451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2007 at 10:05pm

well the new alarm and 4 core radiator is in and we got another shipment from v8 Archie, so I will be starting to install the motor onto the cradle and then notching the frame to accept the 8" balancer and the transmission tomorrow. 

Edit for Spelling, must have been tired working on the car so much.

exoticse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote exoticse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2007 at 10:36pm

More, please !

Fiero308 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fiero308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2007 at 4:37pm

Sorry guys not much going on because of the holidays and all.  I will be meeting (hopefully) with Michelle at B&N Hotrods to go over the plans for the interior.  We will be installing the euro dash, center console and door panels from PISA  http://pisafierohq.com/interiors/fiero_3-08/ and probably use a Tan and Black colour scheme.  The gauges are a bit of a problem right now I am looking at these Teleflex premier white gauges from http://www.haneline.com/ I am not sure I am delighted with them.  first I want the Speedo to be in km/hr with mph on the interior ring.  If any one has any other gauges with a bit more "punch" let me know.  More photos as things progress

Hugh

Fiero308 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fiero308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2008 at 4:44pm

Here is the interior before Chris got at it.....

That interior has now been removed and replaced with the fiberglass PISA kit.

Passenger door. Door panels in tan vinyl door arm rests in black vinyl.

Dash passenger side in black vinyl

Center console tan vinyl

Drivers side dash also in black vinyl

The gauges are white face with red back light Teleflex Premier white http://www.haneline.com/

The seats will also be reupholstered in tan

and so the journey continues..............

Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2008 at 10:57am
I am kinda partial to Black, but I am not sure if I have ever seen a Ferrari with Black interior.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Fiero308 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fiero308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2008 at 3:20pm

Another week goes by and more work is done...........

Center console with Blaupunkt Memphis head unit in place

Glove compartment has connectors from head unit to USB and iPOD docks as well as a spare cigarette lighter.

Amp rack housing a Focal 5 channel amp and 1.2 ferrat cap

Battery charging posts to make for easy jump starts etc...  you can also can see the back side of the battery disconnect switch in this picture

New cubby in trunk to house jack, jumping cables, tire wrench and tools

Picture of the cubby with the lid in place

Picture of rear Focal Utopia Beryllium speakers

Fire451 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fire451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2008 at 4:22pm

It's been a long week of wood work but I think that I finally have it to a point that I am happy with it.  The amp rack has 2 doors in it one to access the washer fluid resevoir and the other to access the battey charging posts and all the resevoirs for the brakes and clutch..

Hopefully all the rest of the parts to finish the engine swap will show up this week and then the suspension and brake components will be showing up

Fiero308 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fiero308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2008 at 8:01pm

Hey Chris awesome work!!!!!!!!!

Fire451 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fire451 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2008 at 8:20pm
glad you like it so far, you should come down on friday to see it in person
Fiero308 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fiero308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2008 at 8:40pm

I should be able to get down there mid afternoon.  I'll see you then

Hugh

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic