Forum Home Forum Home » Buy / Sell » Interior and Car Audio
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Car Audio...I Gave In Today...lol

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Car Audio...I Gave In Today...lol
    Posted: 22 February 2008 at 3:08pm
Like the wife says..."Can't leave you alone for a single day"...lol

I gave in and completed my audio for my Fiero, I wanted to wait until there was a TRUE iPod head unit, and this one ROCKS!...listed for $699CND, walked away for $350CDN, installed next week:).

http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=i DA-X001
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2008 at 6:16pm

That is a pretty cool head unit.  Once installed, drop by, there is one feature that I don't see listed and I would like to test.  DVD MP3 discs.  

Aside from that, that is a kickass setup.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2008 at 7:27pm
Actually no CD/DVD...can add a 6 disk unit, bluetooth, USB, etc.
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2008 at 7:43pm

DOH, I misread the CD Changer Control Section when I skimmed it over. 

Well it is still a very cool unit.  I guess seeing as it does USB Drives there is no real need for CD's.  

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2008 at 7:48pm

I basiclly wanted to plug in my Nano and FM, one less thing to get stolen....my CD case:).

It has all the bells & whistles if you want them, I may consider the Bluetooth when I have a phone that has bluetooth, the hands free option would be nice.

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Borteep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Borteep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2008 at 7:49pm
Rad, I was checking those out last fall. If you don't mind me asking, where did you buy it? I'm very interested to hear about your experiences with it.

The way I see it, an optical drive is wasting a lot of space in a head unit that could be dedicated to amps/heat sinks. I don't use CDs in my car because I care too much about them to get them scratched up or stolen, so something like this is totally the way to go.

Also, there are high quality class D amplifiers available now that have somewhere around 70-80% efficiency, so you could further reduce heat sink sizes and dedicate more of the unit to a solid amp section.

The way I see it, between those two things there should be some very, very nice head units available soon that would make a dedicated amp unnecessary (well, you'd still need one for any woofers you wanted to include).

I just wish more companies would make these, and that they'd release the firmware source code. It would be very cool to see additional audio formats supported via unsupported firmware releases.
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2008 at 7:58pm

I picked this up at Audio Video in Coquitlam.  I have been researching for a new head unit for some time and really wanted to wait until a) prices came down 2) full iPod interface as if it was the iPod.

I only intended to see it LIVE and ended up meeting the guy who did my original install when I first bought the car and who did my sub box, who is still proud to this day of the work. 

I can be spontanious so bought it as I feel in love right away.  There is another unit below this one, it's the display that I liked.

I know Waylon & Kris could help and more than likely I will get a spanking when I see them next, but I am happy, my stereo is done:).

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2008 at 8:02pm

Well if you are going to look into a more high tech phone, I have had my HTC Tytn for about 6months now and love it. 

http://www.europe.htc.com/products/htctytn.html

We just got Lisa an HTC Touch,

http://www.europe.htc.com/en/products/htctouch.html

We are really happy with both devices.    My Tytn has a touch screen with a really good media player in it, it has only got a 6gig card in it at the moment, but can be upgraded with expansion cards easily.  Its all solid state, no hard drives or anything.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2008 at 8:15pm

Here's the one David I am looking at as I am with Bell:

http://www.bell.ca/shopping/en_CA_BC/66695.details?contractI d=term36m

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2008 at 8:51pm

Yep thats the same one we just got for Lisa.  Just make sure that Bell does not handicap the phone.  I know they did it with the Razor line of phones.

Do some research on XDA Forums.    The HTC Touch's more common name is an Elf.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=372

The Windows Mobil 6 platform is great.  You can pick up a bluetooth GPS and run TomTom Mobil Navigator on it.  Next time you are in the area I can give you a quick demo of what it can do.  Nav System, Media Player, Music and Video, right down to opening Office documents.

Sorry about hijacking your thread.  We can talk about this in person.  Right now, lets get back to talking about your new stereo.  I can't wait to hear it, sounds like it will be awesome.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2008 at 10:40pm
All good man...it ties in to the forum:)
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2008 at 7:43pm

Well, installed, and had a few incidents...see below pics, I would appriciate any feedback please.

What do you see?...A big F^&%#% burnt dash?...ya I sure do!

Hmmm...a little closer...

Also cracked my dash bezel...this really started to make me happy...NOT!

Edited by Bassman
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Matt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2008 at 8:20pm
Dude.. NICE!!! I don't even think I would have time to look at that burn mark, that deck is so awesome! 
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2008 at 11:01am

Thanks Matt...I am sure I'll be at April's meeting as I have to work on March 8th.

Does anyone have any suggestions for an interior shop other than Rags to Riches that I can go and get quotes from to battles with these F^&% heads from AVU?...I have a few options for dashes from a few...thank you for this, but if the dash does not match the balance of my interior then it almost forces me to buck up and do the balance of the interior that I have not budgeted for this year.

Cheers

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

ZeroC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ZeroC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2008 at 1:10pm

Edited by ZeroC
Graeme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Graeme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2008 at 5:05pm
I can't believe you would have to put up with that crap. If they burnt my dash, you'd bet I would be sure that they'd pay for a complete new one. Cracked panel too...

Nice guages though.
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2008 at 6:16pm

I should have reached out to the club, but buying a desk and a simple install should not have led to this fiasco.

Here is the email I sent last night, which I have not had a reply yet...should be interesting as I was trying to get my point across:

Hello gentlemen,

I have attached a few pictures so you can forward to whom ever you are proposing to look at repairing my dash.  I have spoken to many from my club plus the research through forums that are Fiero related and car interior specific, there is nothing that can be done that will maintain the dash original look, never mind preserving the original interior.  Patching is intended for scratches, little holes from animals, etc...not a toonie size burn mark.  Then the center console bezel which is plastic and delicate, to have the screw hole cracked doesn't help either...these are parts that are not available, here are a couple of references:

There is a bezel interior kit...for $250USD that is brushed aluminum, but it's not stock.

Rob, you made a statement that I did not appreciate to be honest when I called you late day on Saturday "Your car is so modified it's not stock anymore, we can put a carbon fiber bezel in"...this is not the look I want, I want the stock otherwise I would have made that choice years ago.  I have invested over $10,000 in this car with OEM or new parts and have worked so hard to preserve the original status for collector plates which turns up in the next few years for my car.  This car is 98% stock!, the only items that would require to be changed is the stereo & center gauges, which I have and prepared to install for those plates, and confirmation of this is based on ICBC reviewing my vehicle already. 

Currently there are a few issues with the install:
* The climate control backlight has a loose connection now, does not always stay on
* The fader wiring is incorrect - reversed
* At the time when I bought the head unit, I advised that I wanted the sub control installed, I even reiterated this when we confirmed the install time.  If you didn't have the proper RCA then I could have picked one up...why waste my time by having to come back again
* I brought my purchase invoice with me that day and left it on the passenger seat, it's not longer in the car, can you print me up another copy please Ian.
* Not sure if the kit with the head unit fits properly, but it looks like it's not flush, can show you, I might be wrong

The bottom line:
* My time now to search for options, possible dashes which will be like looking for a needle in a hay stack, gaining quotes, etc...like I have time for this
* Yes the interior is 23 years old, hence why at cars show, the number #1 comment is the condition of the interior
* I planned on restoring the interior and have quotes for fixing the warp on the center console, new carpet, headliner, seats, door panels...but not for a few years.  The dash is the most important part of that interior that did not need any work.  Patching is a short term fix, I have no intention of selling this car, so the texture & colour of any patch work not only won't match, will stick out like a sore thumb especially where it's damaged
* The only way to fix this properly is to pull the dash out and wrap it...but now what about the rest of the interior, it won't match!...who's going to pay to match the rest of the interior, I don't have that budget put aside...and say goodbye to any thought of collector plates.

I have no interest in having some guy who works from his home and is on a pager, a reputable shop is the only option.  I really have no time for all of this, and the first opportunity won't be until March 22nd or so where I will go to Rags to Riches and two other shops which I am collecting information on who to see.  If you have any suggestions I am all ears, but to be inconvenienced now by getting the car into a shop, arrange travel to and from, etc...nothing but a headache.

You know guys, for a simple head unit install to this, certainly allot more than a quick fix is what I wanted to get across.  This is not my daily driver, not a joy ride, but a passion for a vehicle that catches the eye, I have people always coming up to me admiring this car...and that drives my passions to continue and justify the investment, these cars are becoming popular again and gaining value.

I am not one that creates controversy either, I really wish this did not happen, but I wanted you to understand that this is much more than it appears, and the options to consider really won't be any benefit for all the years of hard work put into this car...sh*t my wife closes the door to hard and take a strip out of her.

I have a very busy week, you can call me at 778-836-4806 if you have any questions.

Regards,

Brian Browne
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Matt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2008 at 6:26pm
Would it be possible to switch out a dash from a different GT of the same interior color and get them to pay for it and your time?

If this is possible let me know I'll keep my eyes open and I might already have a few leads for you.
I wanna go fast.
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2008 at 6:42pm

Yes PLEASE:)...the challenge is the dash corners, cracks, etc...I am pretty luck to have one that has non of the aging issues, just a big Fricken burn mark!.

Thanks Matt

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

ZeroC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ZeroC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2008 at 11:01pm

"these are parts that are not available"  Heres Your Dash Piece Im Sure They Will Pay The 10 Bucks !!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/84-88-Pontiac-Fiero-GT-SE-Rad io-A-C-Bezel_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33705QQihZ021QQitemZ 310028457040QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

As For The Dash ..The Vinyl Repair Guy The Company Uses Does All The Icbc Repait Work ..And It Doesnt " Stick Out Like A Sore Thumb " Its A Color Matched Reapir So It Looks Great  

Asking Them To Replace A Small Cracked Radio Bezel For 250 Usd For Overlays Is Out Of This World !!!

I Understand Your P'oed But Common Stop Dragging The Avu Name Through The Mud Give Them A Chance To Fix There Mistake Before Your Rip Em A New One .

Just My Two Cents Really !! Just Trying To Support The Company I Work For .

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic