Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Build Threads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Rebuild of my 4.9 GT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Rebuild of my 4.9 GT
    Posted: 15 May 2008 at 8:25am
Blair asked me to post a resurrection thread of my 85GT.

So here is the start of it.

A little background first.

The car is an 85GT that I have owned since I was 17. That's 15 years I have owned the car. Went through 4 different 2.8's-2.9's. Rebuilt and modified the V6's to death. Car had an auto when I bought it, I converted it to 4spd when I did the first 2.9 V6, then converted it to a 5spd when I did the 4.9 V8.   I am on my 6th trans axle.   I found clutches to be almost as hard to keep together, this is my 3rd clutch on the V8.   My last clutch was a V8 Archie Centerforce that I exploded. This time we are installing a Clutchnet 6 puck Race Clutch.

I had a few issues putting it back together. I was installing one of the 4 bolts on the rear trans bracket and stripped on out. Due to the fact that Isuzu trans axles in my case are a disposable item. I figured I would just grab a larger steel bolt and force thread it into the aluminum case. I grabbed my impact gun started the bolt set the gun to max and pulled the trigger. It shot in so fast I could not believe it. Then when inspecting it, I found out why it shot in so fast. Where the bolt goes in, it split the case wide open. FRACK FRACK FRACK. So I pulled the bolt back out. Mixed up a batch of 2 part epoxy, filled the bolt with expoxy, then filled the bolt hole with epoxy, smearing it all over the crack and put the bolt back in. I let it harden over night.   I don't plan on this trans lasting more than about 6 months at best anyways.    

Well enough chatter here are the pics of the car coming back together.

Scan of Clutch Invoice

Pics of new Clutch disc.

Clutch installed

New Isuzu going in.

Bad Isuzu

Note the missing input shaft sleeve. Its laying on the bottom of the bell housing.

Engine in the dropped position

Trans Installed

Engine and trans finally back up in the car.

Kinda see the side exit exhaust pipe.

All tucked up nice and neat.

Ya its on the ground

WooHoo, my motor is back in its correct place.

Edited by Capt Fiero
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2008 at 10:15am
So on the road this weekend?...good driving times all
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2008 at 4:04pm
Well I am out working on it now. Everything is hooked up aside from battery. All the lines are hooked up and double checked the hose clamps.

Need to install the oil filter. Fill it up with coolant, hook up the battery and see if it fires up. If she fires, I will start setting up the clutch hydraulics and see if she will move under her own power.   If everything is going really good. Maybe slight chance I might throw a temp on it for Sunday. I would love to have it on the road for Arlington. However with so many little worries about the trans in there, not sure if I would want to risk driving it that far. Oh and I am going to have to Air-Scare it as well. Kinda funny watching them try and find the exhaust outlets. (in front of rear tire on the passenger side)
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2008 at 6:03pm
I got her to fire up yesterday. However the idle would skyrocket to 3500-4000rpms. I checked every single vacuum line 3-4 times. It was driving me nuts. I thought maybe it was the ISC Motor so I jumped 12v direct to the motor and retracted it fully so it was not holding the throttle open.   It was still revving up really high.

Well I got in there today and really got my nose down there and noticed the trunk side fuel rail was pushed up about 1/4 inch at the bracket. I snapped it back down and sure enough that was it, the fuel rail had popped up due to the fuel lines snagging really badly when I swung the cradle down.

It was causing a nasty leak. Now the car fires up and idles perfect as low as 450 rpms.

I am so close to getting the car ready for the road, I can almost smell the burnt rubber!!!!!!!

:) :) :)
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2008 at 6:05pm
Maybe a break in cruise tonight?
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2008 at 6:22pm
The car still needs a few things before I would call it "road trip" worthy. I would have to track down a permit and swap the front tires.

However where were you thinking about going and when were you thinking about leaving. Lisa and I are busy till about 8pm. However after that we might be up for something.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2008 at 9:51pm

Ya'll better watch out, what ya gonna do when you see this coming up in your rear veiw window.

I fired it up and drove it out of the garage under its own power today.  I was a bit worried about the clutch being too grabby, however, I let it idle down to about 550rpms, and gently lifted the clutch up and it engaged as smooth as silk, gently pulling the car backwards.

I am really happy.   

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2008 at 9:59pm
Nice hood:)
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2008 at 9:47am
The hood is to maintain the "rat rod" look.  It also serves release the hot air from the radiator and relieve pressure from the area under the hood.  It seems to work quite well.

Edited by Capt Fiero
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
kawana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kawana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2008 at 10:34am
kinda reminds me of like a knights helmet or something :P With the rivets and all :)  Or maybe im crazy, idk.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2008 at 10:07pm

Well another Isuzu bites the dust.........

It never even made it fully on the road.  Friday night was going to be the first night to really take it out and play.  I did the oil change today, got the front tires swapped on, greased the front end, was really happy with the way the car was doing.  So I took it out into the ally behind the house.  Started out slowly and started working my way up to 3/4 throttle rolling starts.  Then BANG, Grind, Grind..................  FRACK FRACK FRACK.  I knew the trans was weak, but I wanted to give it a good test before taking it on any long distance trips.  I guess its good that it blew up here at the house and not 25, 50 or 100kms away. 

So we pushed it back into the driveway, and I am going to drop it out again.  LOL, #7 Trans here we go.   The next trans going in, will be a 4spd.  I am done with the Isuzu's. 

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
ZeroC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ZeroC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2008 at 10:37pm
i Would Say Leave Some For The Rest Of Us Lol ..But I Run An Auto So Have At Em lol ;)
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2008 at 10:41pm
   Ya know with all the nightmares I have with Isuzu's, I would never even consider going back to an auto.  It was an Auto when I bought it and I converted it to stick.  Even having to replace things as often as I do, I still love grabbing gears.  Even if sometimes I grab for them, and they go flying out the back end.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Roadfury View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Roadfury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2008 at 7:06am
so i do have that 4spd thats just kinda chillin in my garge right now if your interested... you know about as much about it as i do unfortunatly....
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2008 at 7:57am
Could ya flip it on its side, (bellhousing down) and take a quick pic of it.  If you don't mind, please.  Just wanted to see if it is an 84 or 85-86.5 4spd.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Roadfury View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Roadfury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2008 at 12:16pm

Yup its deffinatly an 85-86.5 Trans

Edited by Roadfury
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2008 at 1:40pm
Yep that is a later model 4spd, and to be frank, it looks more like the Citation 4spd rather than the 85-86.5 Fiero 4spd.

Edited by Capt Fiero
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Roadfury View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Roadfury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2008 at 11:09pm

youre not the only one with a cowl hood

( not mine, google images)

Edited by Roadfury
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2008 at 11:16pm
That car does not count as it is a Camaro and not a Fiero.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Fiero Zen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fiero Zen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2008 at 11:25pm

I heard a rumour that the new "Knight Rider" TV show was filmed out of Vancouver. Seeing your car pics, I guess it's true - Kit, or should I say David - No Hassle.

Yesterday is History
Tomorrow is a Mystery
But Today is a Gift
That is why it is called the Present
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic