West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » General Fiero Chat » General Talk about Fieros
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"Keeper of the ’x’ Part"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Keeper of the ’x’ Part"
    Posted: 18 May 2008 at 11:04am
I was talking to Dave briefly about this last night, but...

Having one or two people trying to keep stacks of parts around (me *cough*) is just too trying, and unrealistic to try and keep track of just WHAT you have (meaning that it's more or less useless to have them!).

My proposal:
Have many club members, store and sort out/inventory SMALL clusters of parts.  These would be freely available (to members only, in good standing) bits, sourced from stripped cars, or donated bits etc. The list of them (if realistic to maintain) could be stored on some sort of publicly accessible database. Then whoever is dolling out the part 'x' would go in and reduce the inventory on the bit by 1 when it was taken.  That part is just a 'maybe', but would make life easier for the keep of the "X" so they're not getting bugged with "do you have a 'widget'?".

Example:
"Bob" has a small amount of space in his garage, and would take on being the "keeper of external trim".  He only then keeps the exterior trim bits, and maybe side markers.  You need that little bit behind the door in round...  you know to go to Bob!

"Frank" has more room at his acreage, so he accepts being the "keeper of the body panels" (since they're obviously large!).

"Joe" has a warehouse, and is willing to be the "keeper of the engines and parts", since the floor there is a little dirty already anyhow.

And so on, and so on....

Anyhow, as you can see, this reduces the burden on any one person, and makes parts more readily available since you KNOW who has what!  There would be NO for sale parts, so if you've got that rare 88 coupe nose in perfect shape...  keep in your own carport. 

Thoughts?  Ideas?

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2008 at 11:43am

I would agreee as a club we are all trying to maintain and help each other out.  Between you, Blair & David...lots of parts.  I could as an example store in containers small misc parts, switches, etc...

Now the question is how can we manahe this on our server?...is there a way to install a "real time" inventory with reference to whom and contact info would have the parts ready for pick up/exchange/donate?.

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">
Graeme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Graeme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2008 at 7:19pm
Great idea, I'll see what I can put together for a "parts page" or something.
Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2008 at 7:45pm
That'd be great!  I was thinking I'd need to resort to multiple little spread sheets for each "keeper" that they'd have to update and repost (like what I'm doing with the mileage thingy).

Could we do something online with a database/spreadsheet style thing that users could view, and the particular "keeper" could edit easily online?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic