West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Build Threads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My 3500/LX9 build

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote nfswift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My 3500/LX9 build
    Posted: 22 May 2008 at 1:24am

Pictures will continue to find their way into slideshows, for now my progress stops right before the cradle comes out. I've got a lot of work lately so I fit in hours wrenching from 8-12PM, this will be a slow build but I've set a goal of 1 month.

http://img89.imageshack.us/slideshow/player.php?id=img89/132 4/12114439800nc.smil

So far I've got most of my build nailed down, it's just a matter of dropping the money on some items (alum cradle bushings, external crank trigger, 60*v6 DIS/fuel rail/injectors etc.) and then it's a matter of time.

Merlott of Pennocks is the only other Fiero owner I know who's completed one of these swaps... exciting stuff.

More to come.

Blair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2008 at 8:28am
Looks good. I look forward to seeing the progress on your build. Keep us posted and be sure and post pics with your build as well as your slide show.
nfswift View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote nfswift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2008 at 2:42pm
I'll post many more details in this thread when I cover a bunch of ground over the next two weeks, as it stands it's just barely begun.

Edited by nfswift
nfswift View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote nfswift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2008 at 5:41pm
Ok, Stella Artois induced informative update (Stella induces many of my actions lately...).

The cradle is nearly ready to drop, I got a couple days off so work is progressing nicely. Brakes lines are tied up, fuel lines are taken care of, trans lines are tucked away, harness is sitting in a disconnected heap on top of the engine.

I am a go for dropping the cradle as soon as I get my hands on an engine skid/dolly.

On an interesting note the drivers side cradle was cut to access the nut at the top of the rear cradle bolt so its has been dropped before. This engine definitely underwent some work in it's lifetime, it's a shame it came into my hands in the shape it was, but I've bought it a new lease on life.

The 3500, I want to keep it stock for now, huge powerband improvements, far better fuel economy, similar weight or lighter than the 2.8 I'd expect, it's only a logical step to take up the 60* ladder. I have no plans to turbo, too much trouble for my liking at the moment, currently I just want to DRIVE! I considered a 60*v6 store camshaft upgrade, you can make like 25 hp easily alone from one of these, pair it with some headwork and headers and you're 75HP over stock easily. These 3500s flow like mofos.

Current hurdles are:

1) Throttle body, it's a 65mm fly by wire, I looked at it today and am
considering just fabbing it to work with the stock Fiero TB linkage, it seems easy enough, watch me eat my words, but this would be a nice solution.

2) Fuel rail and injectors, the rail is returnless and apparently these injectors are the wrong signal to work with older style ECUs, my local accomplice Chayfoss is highly electricity savvy so we (he more than I) may be able to modify the stock system to work, otherwise I trade/buy a 3400 fuel rail and find suitable injectors to match.

3) ECU, I'm just going to run a 7730 with some heavy tuning on the 3.1 code, this has been done in three or four 3500 swaps in different vehicles (Cavaliers and Fiero). I'll be buying one fairly soon from a parts yard and getting some help from the 60* forum members or even possibly Darth to get engine management pinned down.

4) EFI/DIS signal, the crankshaft (reluctor ring?) position sensor has the wrong style of pickup on the crankshaft to work with the 7730, similarly I will be snipping the cam sensor for the SFI because it wont work with the 7730 either. To substitute the stock CPS design I'm buying the TCE external crank trigger from 60* store (wot-tech) to fire the injectors and the DIS, I'll be purchasing the coil packs/ICM from a 3400 or earlier V6.
Alternately Chay may suggest some elaborate method of using the stock setup, me and him are convening tomorrow where he'll take a look and we'll brainstorm.

5) Flywheel, as with any 1988 or newer swap you're gonna need a neutral flywheel, these new 60*s are smoooth and internally balanced.

6) Exhaust, as the pictures breifly show the exhaust is somewhat different, I have 3 different 3500 manifolds (thank my seller for including 2 front and 1 rear style) to work with. Two that have very short seperate primaries that collect and exit straight down, and one that is similar to the stock Fiero log but superior in port shape/runner shape etc.
I've debated running the two straight down and collecting them somehow... or more radically (and stupidy) taking the same manifolds and running them down, twisting 90* and routing them straight into the tire wells for a crazy side exit system (it would murder my low end power to have 3-1/2' pipes, I know).

Now I may be leaving something out, updates will come tomorrow after brain storming and cradle dropping is completed.

nfswift View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote nfswift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2008 at 8:26pm

Big picture update.

I conjured a skid today with a skill saw and random wood from that back yard as not having one was impeding my progress =P

Brakes tied up and jacked up the back a little bit. If you look carefully in the top right you can see the frame cut where the rear cradle mount nut is exposed.

Jacked it up a few inches at a time, repositioned jack stands, and checked the blocks every time, safety first!

Ready to come out.

Rear view ready to remove the engine, it's high enough to see the valve covers at this point.

Pop! Way easier than expected, bent my clutch hard line a bit coming out cause I wasn't paying attention...

Fully removed and ready to pluck off the cradle, 3500 goodness ready to assume it's place.

Mucky big nasty welds on front manifold... maybe this was the reason the cradle was out before??

Obligatory engine bay pose!

Fini. More later.

Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2008 at 9:46pm
Woo Hoo, Congrats on your first engine pull.   can't wait to read how the new install goes.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic