West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » General Fiero Chat » Members Rides
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New member.. New ride:p

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2008 at 4:59pm
As far as I can tell you don't know Fiero's very well, which is understandable if this is your first encounter with them.

I think it would be very beneficial for you to do some reading about Fiero's. There are a number of threads on this forum and others that detail the process of many different types of engine swaps and various other mods. I think you'll find that you'll save countless hours of frustration and money in doing just a quick survey of the material provided by the guys here.

Either way, good luck and welcome to the world of Fiero's.

PS: Pictures of your progress are much appreciated.
I wanna go fast.
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2008 at 6:19pm

I have to agree with everyone, dropping it out he bottom is the easiest way if you are doing any major work.  However looks like you are making progress the way you are doing it, and something is better than nothing.    Just a tip, everyone is saying drop it out the bottom but it does not look like anyone has mentioned the easy way to do it.  I see you have a cherry picker (engine hoist)  Removing the rear bumper is fairly easy.  Once the rear skin is off, you can wrap a chain around the impact beam and lift the back of the car from there.  It gives you enough clearance with the legs of the hoist that you should be able to slide the engine/trans/suspension/brakes/cradle out in one single piece.  Once it is all out on the ground in the open, it is SO EASY to work on things.  You can grab a pressure washer out and clean everything before you start to disassemble/reassemble everything. 

As for your engine choice, I did not mean to go off on a rant, it has just been a pretty bad couple of days for me. 

Obviously any engine you choose will be better than a worn out duke, even if you choose to just tweak a duke to give it a bit more life.  (shave the head, bigger cam, better exhaust, better throttle body)  It won't make it an Indy Sprint car, but it still can be a spirited little car.   I have 2 fav engines, a 3.4TDC V6 motor or just about any V8.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
skylar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote skylar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2008 at 6:59pm

Thanks capt fiero.. that sounds like the easiest way I could have done it! Oh well myabe next time...

I was wondering if anyone has some good good links or ideas on shaving weight off my fiero, I want to get her as light as possible (without costing me an arm and a leg). I was also wondering if anyone knew of any interior upgrades besides the pisa kits,  maybe an easy interior swap. I am not going to get to the interior for quite some time but would like to get an idea of what i'm going to do.

skylar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote skylar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2008 at 8:36pm

Update: Dad inspected engine; all it needs is new head gasket.

I will be selling the engine,tranny, and exhaust. I will also be selling the catalytic converter on it, looks fairly new with from what i can tell no rust.

I was wondering what I should list these items for and what I should expect to get.

Thx again for all your help

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2008 at 8:49pm
Best is to look on Craigslist and ebay for prices...what tranny is it?
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">
skylar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote skylar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2008 at 8:57pm

Its got the 84' automatic

Edited by skylar
skylar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote skylar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2008 at 8:42pm
I decided I can't live with an auto.. think im going to convert it to standard. Anyone know any non typical parts that need to be swapped out for fiero's? Gonna hit up a pick n' pull this weekend(1/2 off day)
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2008 at 9:27pm

OK you need the

Shifter for the trans you decide

The Shift Cables

The Shift Hydraulics, Slave and Master

The standard trans engine for the motor you choose to use

The clutch for a V6 or a V8 (don't even bother with a  4 cyl clutch)

The Trans axle throwout bearing for the trans you use.  Bearing is Trans Specific NOT clutch specific like most parts stores think.

Everything else can be re-wired, and changed to eliminated the Neutral Start Switch, and a few other minor things.

Oh getting a Manual Trans ECM should be installed to really make things work, however you can get away with an Auto ECM to get you running.

Lastly and a kinda biggie, you need the ENTIRE clutch line that runs from the front of the car to the back of the car, as well as all the little odd nuts and bolts that it attaches with.

Oh Pedal assembly, get the entire pedal assembly from ANY standard trans Fiero.  However the later model ones usually have better pedals do to better material used.

I have done this swap myself, going from Auto to a 4spd, then later to a 5spd and will soon be doing a 5spd back to a 4spd swap.   If you pop to www.captfiero.com  There are lots of links to how I took my car apart and put it back together. 

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic