West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » General Fiero Chat » General Talk about Fieros
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Interesting Mod?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interesting Mod?
    Posted: 24 July 2008 at 5:59pm
I was stuck in traffic the other day when a Del Sol pulled up beside me. They normally don't really catch my attention except that this one had a targa top (the whole roof panel is removable) and the rear glass (back window) slid up and down like a normal door window.  With the roof off, and all the windows down it gave the car a convertible with a roll bar look. I liked it.

I just just curious if anyone had tried either of these mods on a Fiero.
I wanna go fast.
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2008 at 6:39pm
There is not enough frame on a Fiero to do a Targa without extreme modding, and a roll down rear window won't work in a Fiero either as there is simply no place for it to roll down into.  It would ether end up being torched by the exhaust, or have to roll down into the passenger compartment which won't work either due to the location.   It would be easier to just make a convertible Fiero.  (which has been done a dozens of times)  You still have to re-enforce the chassie, but you would get your open top view.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2008 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by Capt Fiero Capt Fiero wrote:

It would be easier to just make a convertible Fiero. 

If you can't picture a notchback 'vert...

Or a fastback one...

(yeah, this one had seen better days!  It got shmucked by a truck)

Roadfury View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Roadfury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2008 at 10:17pm
i havn't seen a fastback convertible.... i think they look better than the notchies
Matt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2008 at 5:14pm
I'm not saying it would be easy. But if the car will support a convertible it should support the roof being chopped into a targa, as the rear clip is made to be like a roll bar anyhow.

As for the back window, it wouldn't be able to just slide down. I was thinking perhaps drop down 2-4 inches and then make an angled  turn inward so that it's final rest would be right in front of the fire wall or even laying flat underneath the car. Of course you'd probably have to make false back wall behind your seats and re-route all the wiring.

Like I said, I didn't think it would be easy. Just wondered if anyone had attempted it.
I wanna go fast.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic