Author

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2008 at 6:27pm
Hmm camera says 1 sec intervals.

1986 Fiero GT 3.4L V6 DIS, 5 spd, Full Polyurethane Suspension, Rear Coil-overs
Patrick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2008 at 12:08am

Originally posted by Austin Austin wrote:

Hmm camera says 1 sec intervals.

Your timelapse video actually worked out pretty well, so I'm just interested in trying variations of it myself.

Any idea how many frames of video at every one second interval your camera shot? Was it one?

I could download your video and import it into my video editing program to find out, but it would be easier if you might know off-hand.

Edited by Patrick
Austin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2008 at 10:57am

If you want I can send you the original AVI file.

AVI file says 640x480@ 15 frames/sec if that helps any.  Guess that means the video is 15X normal speed?

1986 Fiero GT 3.4L V6 DIS, 5 spd, Full Polyurethane Suspension, Rear Coil-overs
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2008 at 12:01pm
My brain is not kicking into gear the way it should but, standard TV is 30 frames per second, IIRC.  15 FPS would be half of standard, and would seem to play at double speed is replayed at 30fps, but I don't think the FPS really matters in this aspect.    I am guessing and Patric correct me if I am wrong, the camera must shoot 15 frames, then pause then shoot 15 more frames then pause in order to get the affect that the video produced.   
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
beken View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2008 at 1:55pm
Hee hee hee, Austin's seatbelt warning light stayed on the whole time.  My car has the same problem...unless you really weren't wearing your seatbelts

Beken (aka Ken) - bekentech@westcoastfieros.com   Original and still the owner of an 85SE 2M6 4spd
Patrick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2008 at 2:08pm

Originally posted by Capt Fiero Capt Fiero wrote:

My brain is not kicking into gear the way it should but, standard TV is 30 frames per second, IIRC.

Yes and no. In North America (and Japan), NTSC video is 30fps. Most of the rest of the world uses PAL video which is 25fps.

15 FPS would be half of standard, and would seem to play at double speed is replayed at 30fps, but I don't think the FPS really matters in this aspect.

Video recorded at 15fps will normally play back at 15fps. However, it has somewhat of a "strobe" effect because our brains notice the reduced frame rate (compared to 30fps NTSC or 25fps PAL or 24fps film).

In a video editing program, if 15fps video is added to a 30fps project, the program (unless instructed not to do) will duplicate each frame. The end result is that the 15fps video still looks the same way it was originally recorded when played back.

I am guessing and Patric correct me if I am wrong, the camera must shoot 15 frames, then pause then shoot 15 more frames then pause in order to get the affect that the video produced.

Not necessarily. I believe the usual procedure is that with a one second interval, the camera/camcorder will shoot ONE frame of video (not a whole second of video), pause for a second, then shoot another single frame of video. However, it’s possible the default (or selectable) number of frames shot/recorded per second could be anywhere from one up to who knows what.

I’ll have to take a look at my Sony camcorders to see what the options are in regards to interval recording. I’ve never used this setting in twenty years of shooting video , but I can see from Austin’s video that there are definitely situations where it might be fun to try out.

Originally posted by Austin Austin wrote:

If you want I can send you the original AVI file.

Thanks Austin, but that won’t be necessary. We’ll figure this out without having to upload/download such a large file.

Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2008 at 3:11pm

I was going to creat a big gallery of pics, however I only got pics directly from Nigel.  So here are the pics from Nigel.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic