Topic ClosedWhistler Run Aug 16th 2008

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whistler Run Aug 16th 2008
    Posted: 04 August 2008 at 11:11pm

Arrival time will be between 7:30am to eat and such, and leaving as soon as we get confrimed people, please follow this thread closley as times may change.

Aug 16th 2008 Whistler Run, Sea to Sky Hwy 2 weeks away.  

We will meet at the Big McDonald's parking lot located one block North of Trans Canada on Willingdon in Burnaby. 

Bring your GMRS Radios we will run on channel 20. 

Stops will be Port-O-Cove (sp) and the old Mining town up there someplace.

Maybe make a stop to Visit out Fiero Friends in Squamish.

I have no idea what time we will get to Whistler, but the plan will be to get up there hang out, have a bit to eat in Whistler Village.

Then had back down maybe make another stop at Port O Cove for some evening pics and goofing around for the ladies.

Leave the Cove and head back to Vancouver.   If the group wants to can take a drive through Vancouver and play around, maybe Robsin Street, Davie Street.  Even do a night run through Stanley Park.  I think there is a TJI Fridays some place downtown that would be great to eat at, or maybe go into Metrotown a group and find a nice place to eat there.

This will be a full day run with lots of fun and cruising.  Bring your Video Cameras, Radar Detectors and GMRS Radios.   

A note ahead of time, speed limits will be set at “spirited” driving.  If you are not comfortable with that please bring it up and arrangements will be made to wait for you at stops.  

Please Also check the club website as we are starting a thread on this topic.

Contact David capt@captfiero.com  or you can leave a voice mail at 604-807-2623 I have been too busy to answer so just leave a message and I will call back when I have time, and could ya do a me a fave and let me know the best time to call you.  I just hate calling at early riser to late or an early starter when they are doing a full time job.

Edited by Capt Fiero
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2008 at 11:13pm
So if you are coming please please post up that you are for sure coming.  I would like to get a tally of at least 10 Fiero's in the run and every car counts.   You don't have to be show cars, you done have to be fast cars, you just want to have fun in your Fiero with other Fiero lovers for a day.  Get Goofy and have some kick butt fun. 
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
grokan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2008 at 12:32am

my car should be finished, so i'm planning on coming

Lets get it sideways
Austin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2008 at 10:19am

Wanting to go on this, have to make sure I've got that day open.

BTW I don't think getting to that McDonalds is as easy as before.  I believe there's an Island blocking left turns from Willingdon to that road.  You may have to turn right where the new Keg/Costco is and go around the backside via Stillcreek.  Or overshoot McDonalds, left at the next light & busta U' somewhere.

1986 Fiero GT 3.4L V6 DIS, 5 spd, Full Polyurethane Suspension, Rear Coil-overs
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2008 at 8:00pm

Ok...I am in, booked the day off:).  So who else is going????, should I post to other clubs to get our car count up?...lol.

Our club events have been very low this year, not sure why, but we are a car club right?...this is a amazing drive, I would actually suggest we meet and leave earlier as without stopping, it can be 1.5 hour drive. 

Whistler is so big now that to visit through North Village and the old can be a few hours at least.  I suggest to bring change as it is like Vancouver now with pay meter parking.  I did live up there for a few years and certainly when we gather up can suggest a few local (cheaper) places to eat...where the locals go:)...a trip to Green Lake or Lost Lake is always great...I can even take us through a tour where the "rich & famous" houses are...ever seen a Mushroom home?...it's pretty cool, or the houses that have escalators to get from the street to their cliff side position:).

Here is a map & Web site: http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/getting_here/sea_to_sky/low er.htm

Porteau Cove is a nice place to stop, but we should gas up in Squamish as it will be cheaper than Whistler, then fill up on the way back.

"Spirited Driving" will be a concern only due to the RCMP have this highway loaded with speed traps, helicopters, and planes.  I have an idea where they used to position themselves, but there are not so many passing lanes, and where there is a passing lane will be a speed trap guaranteed!.  Most driving on this highway is fairly open, you have to take in the beauty of this drive.

I really hope more than 3-4 of us make this day, it will be an amazing run especially with the weather hitting 33+.  Make sure you check all the usual and pack what you may need for our cars...plus beverages, etc.

Cheers

Edited by Bassman
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">
Fiero Zen View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2008 at 8:38pm

Yep...I would be happy to meet earlier even 7:30 am if it means a leave by 8am. I would like to get up there and get parking (free) if possible, and have a good look round. I really would like to go up on the Gondala if its not to much $$$.

Don't forget to bring lots of water and maybe your own lunch to cut down on expenses.

Looking forward to this gentle run.

Fiero Zen

Yesterday is History
Tomorrow is a Mystery
But Today is a Gift
That is why it is called the Present
Austin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2008 at 10:44pm

I'm still planning to make this run.  Hope we'll have a good turnout, nothing better than the sight of a dozen or more Fiero's in formation

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2008 at 11:24pm
Ok...for those on this post currently, I like Nigels suggestion for an earlier start, anyone else game?...should I do a Poll?...lol
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Matt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2008 at 11:40pm
Can't go. Car's not insured for another month, and I'm getting married in 18 days.  So that's been sucking up allot of time lately. Hopefully this fall I'll be able to get out on a couple runs with you guys.

Drive safe.
I wanna go fast.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2008 at 12:33am
Ah toss a day permit on and lets go play.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
marcelvdgn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2008 at 12:39am
Cannot make this one .....In Victoria
Marcel 86SE V6 Auto
85SE V6 Auto
85 2m4
soon to be sleeper 3.8sc 5 speed
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2008 at 6:26am
My insurance runs out on Friday...I am putting a day permit on:)
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

88FormulaFiero View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2008 at 9:16pm

I would like to come along but I dont want to bring the Formula this time, anybody have a spare seat, and wouldnt mind a passenger?

Thanks, and sorry about the late notice,

Ryan

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2008 at 1:08am
you can drive my GA as I just got home with a broken collar bone...Dave call me tomorrow...going to rest
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2008 at 9:50pm
   Ok in the Honor of indecision we have gone 1/2 way, we are meeting at 8:30am.  Leaving at 9:30am.
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
88FormulaFiero View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2008 at 9:57pm
Wow, what happened Brian? Hope your feeling better soon.  I guess I'll miss this run out then, see you guys at the next meeting, Have fun on the run!!!

thanks,

Ryan

beken View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2008 at 6:14pm
So how'd the drive go?

Inquiring minds want to know. Pictures?

Brian, sorry to hear about the collarbone. How'd you manage that?

Edited by beken

Beken (aka Ken) - bekentech@westcoastfieros.com   Original and still the owner of an 85SE 2M6 4spd
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2008 at 6:39pm

Copied from club email list. With a few tweaks added.   Lisa and I's camera was locked up all day, so we did not get any pics, however Austin and Nigel were both taking lots of pics.

Ok so here is the run down.

Tim, Lisa and I left the house at 8am, we got to McDonald's and met up with Glen and Ethan, in their 88 Couple, which is in really nice shape.

Austin showed up shortly after.  During this time I was madly on the phone with Nigel trying to get his car fired up.  Seeing as he was only just up at the top of Willingdon, we all agreed to go up and try to get him fired up.

We waited around until 9:30 for the last of the people to hopefully show up as we were only 4 Fieros.  None of the Extra’s showed up.

So we tore off to Nigel and oddly enough as I walked up to the car, he tried it again and Vroom it came to life.

So we took the 5 cars and got on the road.

Nigel was in his 86GT

Lisa and I were in my 88GT

Tim was in his 86SE

Austin was in his 86GT

And Glen and Ethan were in his 88 Coupe.

We tore up Trans Canada and made it to Pôrto Cove, (sp)  Tim missed the turn so Lisa and I were franticly trying to get him on the radio or cell phone.    We finally got him on the radio, he had pulled over to wait for us. We ended up cutting that stop short, so we left there and found Tim sitting down having a coffee about 10 miles up the road.  We hung out there briefly checked out the mining truck and thought it was very cool, and left there.  About this time Lisa and I had discovered our new HD Camera had packed it in.  So we raced into Squamish to try and get it replaced.  No dice. 

We all regrouped on the 99 and headed north.

We arrived at Whistler Village around noon.  There seemed to be a lot more people and cars than we expected.  There was something called CrankFest going on and it was attached to a VW show thing.  So mountain bikes and VW’s were everywhere.  Live rock band, you name it was going on.  IT WAS HOT up there.  Felt like low 30’s however it was being in the sun that was killing us.   We all got sunburned, I am really feeling it today, Ouch.

Because none of us really knew where we were going, we just kind of wandered around until we found an Earls so we stopped for Lunch.   We then wandered around some more and checked out the really cool scenery in the village. 

About 3pm we started back to the cars to head home.  We make a couple quick stops and then the Radio Comes alive with Glen saying we need to pull over and talk, There has been a nasty car accident on the sea to sky hwy, a truck had rolled over and the HWY was closed.  (this is our only route home) 

We stop at a Chevron and fill up the cars, grab cold pop and munchies, we hit up a Tim Horton’s / Wendy’s for some stuff and discuss.  The idea is, we start back down the mountain and try to find a swimming hole to park, hang out and relax until the hwy is clear.  Well, we drove until the traffic became a dead stop and we were parked.  A quick chat on the radio, said there was a sign for “Shannon Falls” a few KM’s behind us, so all 5 Fieros in what looked like a rehearsed ballet move, all pulled out and made a U-Turn together.  Then zoom back to Shannon Falls.   We did a quick hike up to the falls, (felt like I was going to collapse and croak before we made it to the top) Checked it out and then back down to the bottom where the creek was.  THIS WAS THE BEST IDEA OF THE DAY.  We all crawled down the rocks to the water, took off our shoes and got ankle deep in the water found a nice rock to sit on in the shade, kicked back and chatted Fieros for over an hour.  Cool glacier water running over parts of you, nice breeze blowing over you, in the shade, cold drinks on hand.  Oh man it was nice.   By this time it was 7:30pm we called Craker, and asked him about the online road report, it was finally clear.    However we guessed that the traffic was still going to be nasty for at least a few more hours.  We went across to what was supposed to be a quick coffee / food stop, which is now a gourmet restaurant.  Have ya ever tried to order a PLAIN CHEESE BURGER ON A CHEESE BURGER BUN at a higher end place.  I think I damn near offended our French Lady waitress.   (side note, a light red wine doesn’t go half bad with a cheeseburger)   However they had to add there Gourmet flair to the burger, even plain simple easy, it had to be on a Kaiser bun and even had onions mixed right into the handmade meat paddy.   LOL, those of you that really know me, will understand.

Ok on a plus note, Glen said the Salmon dinner was the best dinner he had had in a very long time.  Prices were a bit much.  Dinner plates were 15 for a cheeseburger to 33 for more fancy food item.    The view was awesome, while you ate dinner you had the view of the falls on one side and the view of the mountains on the other.  I think the place was called the Copper Kitchen.

Ok so dinner out of the way, we decided to start our trek back down the mountain.  It went really fast, I think it took Lisa and I a total of 60mins to make it from the Southside of Squamish to Surrey.   

I think everyone that came had a blast.  It was great fun, great times, and a really refreshing river.

Everyone that has pics, please send them to Capt@captfiero.com so I can get them built into one big gallery and get them hosted.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Austin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2008 at 9:53pm

Hey all

It was a great day out, lots of fun.  The Capt summed it up very well.  I took some pictures here and there, here's the link:

http://s286.photobucket.com/albums/ll117/AustinFiero944/2008 %20-%20Aug%2016%20-%20Whistler%20Drive/?albumview=grid

Video:

Unfortunately I had to split early to get back in town.  Luckily the accident had been cleared and it only took about 45mins to get from Shannon falls to Burnaby and was home by 9pm.  Oh here's an interesting video of that drive :)

Austin

Patrick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2008 at 10:25am
Originally posted by Austin Austin wrote:

Oh here's an interesting video of that drive :)

Heh heh, that was kind of neat. Do you recall what the timelapse settings were on your camera?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic