West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Technical Questions and Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

3.8 conversion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote hangmans8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3.8 conversion
    Posted: 15 November 2008 at 6:46am
I want to put a series 1 3.8 in my fiero.  i'm tring to find good sites on how to.
1987 gt 5spd
kawana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kawana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2008 at 11:42am
can you fab motor mounts, if not there are a few people over at www.fiero.nl that sell premade mounts, FieroX and Purplereign are the only ones i know of. Wiring, same thing, but i dont know who does those, but i THINK blair can do those. 
Theres no real tutorial, but you can peice together info from a bunch of threads:

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/053213.html

Lots of misc threads here:
http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/079560.html

some links are dead though.  Im going to swap one of these in someday (soon if i can get the cash :D ),  let us know how it goes.

Edited by kawana
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2008 at 2:59pm

Phil, is the sound of any concern to you? If so, have a look at This thread started by kawana at PFF. (I commented in there as well.)

D_sensitized View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Executive Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote D_sensitized Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2008 at 4:39pm
I'm also swapping in a series 1 3800, and there really isn't very much info out there for us. Most of it is the same as the series 2 i think but is different in the details. Most of what I've found was on PFF, search it and there are a couple other threads about series 1s.

I havn't been motivated much lately so I can't remember where much of the stuff I've found is, googled most of it and some from this site: http://www.fierosails.com/fierosecrets.html and I've yet to actually start on the swap.
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2008 at 11:45pm
Originally posted by Patrick Patrick wrote:

Phil, is the sound of any concern to you? If so, have a look at This thread started by kawana at PFF. (I commented in there as well.)

Yeah, I don't think it can hold a candle to the Fiero's mad snarl. It sounds like it's whining. The Fiero's sounds like it wants to attack something. =P

Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
marcelvdgn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote marcelvdgn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2008 at 11:51pm

i have a 1991 3800 series one attached to a t440 4speed auto still on a buick lasabre cradle 117,000kms cw engine harness and ecm

$500.00

if interested

pm me

Marcel 86SE V6 Auto
85SE V6 Auto
85 2m4
soon to be sleeper 3.8sc 5 speed
marcelvdgn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote marcelvdgn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2008 at 11:52pm
naturally asperated.......not supercharged
Marcel 86SE V6 Auto
85SE V6 Auto
85 2m4
soon to be sleeper 3.8sc 5 speed
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2008 at 12:39am
Originally posted by Romeo Romeo wrote:

Originally posted by Patrick Patrick wrote:

Yeah, I don't think it can hold a candle to the Fiero's mad snarl. It sounds like it's whining. The Fiero's sounds like it wants to attack something. =P

I hope you're referring to a V8 Fiero, because there's nothing ferocious about the sound of a V6, or a Duke.

kawana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kawana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2008 at 12:48pm
what are you talking about?  Dukes are fierce!
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2008 at 2:30pm
Yeah, I'm with Kawana. My V6 rips and snarls every time I stomp the throttle. It also does it during compression. Hell, even at idle it has a nice repititive bass note. =)
kawana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kawana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2008 at 3:13pm
I was joking about the Duke thing.. (The duke is the 2.5 4cyl btw..), but i do think my v6 without the cat. converter sounds pretty good.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2008 at 3:26pm

Heh heh, it's only the young guys who've never owned/driven high performance V8s who think V6s sound any good.

Yes, I'm a dinosaur and proud of it. 

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2008 at 3:42pm

I also happen to have a 1965 V8 Mustang, packing a pleasant 400HP Naturally Aspirated.

I still like the V6 in the Fiero.

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2008 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by Romeo Romeo wrote:

I also happen to have a 1965 V8 Mustang, packing a pleasant 400HP Naturally Aspirated.

But it's a Ford!  Just kidding...

It's probably a pipe dream of mine, but I've been hanging on to my old rusted out 1978 Z28 Camaro with a non-stock 350 thinking that some day I might transplant that engine into a Fiero. If only I had a proper garage and/or shop...

kawana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kawana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2008 at 5:41pm
Oh, there is no doubt that the ol' mopar's sound better than the 2.8 (believe me.. there are few cars i want more than a 69' charger).. but for a 135hp v6, it doesn't sound half bad :P
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2008 at 6:58pm

Heres a quick video of my 4.9 you can hear the exhaust in the background.  It was a club run up the Fraser Canyon.

http://captfiero.com/videos/mycar/wideopen49.wmv

Edit to add this is a cabin shot with the decklid off, and the quite exhaust on the car.   If you listen you can hear the tires light up and see the tach spike.   At the end of this video you can see how much the motor was torqing over.  When I found this, the car went almost straight over to our fav metal fab guy, Mr. Blair, and he fixed me up with a solid mount for the top of the engine to keep it from twisting so badly.  

http://captfiero.com/videos/mycar/my49.wmv

David 

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
kawana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kawana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2008 at 7:14pm
how much power do those 4.9's put out?  I wonder how the f40 gearing would feel, mated to that engine?  I know they are rated at like 300ftlbs in a car that weighs like 1000lbs more than a fiero, so id think that (considering they are underrated because of the warrenty) they should be able to stand around 350+ftlbs in a fiero.. just a guestimate though.

Oh, and what kind of exhaust setup are you running capt'?  Seems a little quiet, but it could just be the camera..
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2008 at 7:23pm

The 4.9's are 200-240hp depending on install, and 300-340lbs of torque.   Its the torque that makes the car fun.  Mine is only 220hp or so, and about 310lbs of torque.   

I have 2 exhausts for the car, one which is a side exit short pipe, and the other is a full exhaust.  The full exhaust is a Fiero V6 system with a custom down pipe for the V8 and the side exit basically has a bottle muffler where the cat converter would go, and it exits straight out the side of the car.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2008 at 7:26pm

Dave, you linked to the same video twice!

[EDIT] Okay, it's fixed now.

Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2008 at 7:29pm
Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic