West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Technical Topics Forum » Technical Questions and Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Painting and Prep questions.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Painting and Prep questions.
    Posted: 26 February 2009 at 3:11am

I really don't know what I am going.

Here is a quick list of what I am going to buy.

2 Paint Guns maybe 3

Sanding Blocks

Sand Paper

Scotch bright pads.

Paint (maybe primer) 

Might even do a "GASP" safety item and get a respirator.

I am at a complete loss on what I'll need to use to firm up the nose, and patch any cracked bits.  

I have a couple palm sanders, (little square electric vibrating kind)

Sanding the car, What grit of paper should I start with? is 180 for a first sand too much.   IIRC you are suppose to sand, then wash the car before you start the 2nd sanding stage. Is it necessary to remove all the paint on all the panes? Or will simply scuffing them out be good enough.

Step 3, uhm, should I primer then paint, or just straight up start shooting.   My goal is not a show stopper paint job at this moment, I really just want all the panels to match.  Once I have more experience and cash, I'll either do it it really nice myself or send it off to get it professionally done.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
trav85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote trav85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2009 at 11:26pm
I can try to help with any questions but need to know what you are doing and what you are trying to end up with.I have been in the body and paint buisness for about 20 years and currently own a restoration shop for custom paint and muscle car restoration. Let me know if I can help answer any questions.
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2009 at 9:56am

OK here is my old 85GT

Here is the 87GT I am building

And this is what I want the 87GT to look like when done.

The goal is not a show stopper at this point, I was thinking about sanding it and then shooting it a primer coat in the colour that the panels would end up. (Black and White)  However another member suggested, I sand it and actually shoot it in paint, then when I am ready to do the final good paint, it'll be easer to shoot over paint that has not absorbed up crap that leaving primer on the panels would do.  Like I said I know very little about primer/paint sanding.  

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
trav85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote trav85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2009 at 5:01pm
Leaving the car in primer is not really a great idea unless the car stays inside and in a warm spot, it will absorb moisture if exposed. If the paint on the car is in good condition what you want to do is sand down panels with 150-180 grit , then prime out using ppg ncp-271, its a little pricey but if you are going to do this you want to do it right. If there  are cracks in the paint or body you will have to strip those spots to original body and then do body work then prime after. .You must use a flex agent on bumpers and any other flexible parts.As for painting it twice, more material is not what you want, so try to hold off doing it until you are ready to drive you car. Travis
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic