West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » General Fiero Chat » Fiero Spotting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fiero’s are a cult car!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Quote Austin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fiero’s are a cult car!
    Posted: 06 April 2009 at 11:37am

This is more of a random 'blog' than anything...

So this weekend was a great, sun was out and car freshly washed.  I had a dinner on Saturday night in downtown Vancouver, perfect opportunity to take the Fiero out!  The restaurant is on Robson and have to find parking somewhere, circle a couple times and go down Thurlow.  There's traffic ahead so I'm just cruising about 40km/h, windows down, sunroof up, lovely lady w/ me ;)

Couple doods standing on the sidewalk waiting to cross the street distinctly yell 'Fiiiieerrro' just as I pass them by.  I turn to my passenger and we just laughed out loud and smiled.  (Yes! she knows what kind of car I drive!!)

What other unique car, would sound so nice in such an evening??  None other that I could think of.  Sure someone could yell a generic 'Porsche' or 'Cavalier' or 'Mustang' but it's just not the same...

Thought I'd share cuz it's still got me grinning

1986 Fiero GT 3.4L V6 DIS, 5 spd, Full Polyurethane Suspension, Rear Coil-overs
Bobz0r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bobz0r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2009 at 4:52pm

Everyone I talk to says they love the fiero. There's just that something special about it that you don't see very often. I've had friends and aquaintances with their Z06s and Cobras tell me they're sure I get more looks than they do.

It's to the point where I see at least 3 or 4 Mustangs a day and at least a pair of Corvettes, but how often do you see a Fiero go by? I can only remember ever seeing 2 in my lifetime (not including a car show or club meeting).

The ladies love the car too, and it makes my g/f kinda mad sometimes, lol.

Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2009 at 7:51pm

Lisa just put 3000kms on my 88GT over the last 3 weeks touring around Oregon.  I can't believe the amount of nice comments I got from the Yankee's.  Every time we stopped for fuel, people were looking at the car and saying how cool it was to see a Fiero on the road.  We even had people asking about it while we were stuck in Seattle traffic at 2mph.   I guess part of it was because of the Area we were in, a lot of people did not even know what a Fiero is, and even shocked when they saw me open the trunk to check the oil.  I think the opinion of our cars bottomed out about 5 years ago and they are getting more and more popular every day.  The only draw back is they are going to get more and more expensive every day.  

Nice story Austin and it was a pleasure to read it.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Buddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Buddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2009 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by Austin Austin wrote:

What other unique car, would sound so nice in such an evening??  None other that I could think of.  Sure someone could yell a generic 'Porsche' (deleted)....but it's just not the same...

Uhmm, I love Fieros as much as the next guy but there is just no comparison to the Porsche hardware coming out of Stuttgart for the last 20 years.  I`ve got both a `94 911 and an `88 GT and both make me giggle but for VERY different reasons. Drive both and re-evaluate your statement Man.
Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2009 at 3:20pm

LOL, Actually Austin does own a Porsche and I just finished rebuilding a Fiero for a member that has a Porsche GT3, ( I think thats the name of it, kinda looks like a 911 with a wide body)  He says he actually enjoys driving his Fiero more than his Porsche.

Me I have only ever driving an older Porsche, something that predates the well known 911 body style, it was more flat and a targa top, something I think from the 70's.  

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Buddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Buddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2009 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by Capt Fiero Capt Fiero wrote:

Me I have only ever driving an older Porsche, something that predates the well known 911 body style, it was more flat and a targa top, something I think from the 70's.  

That would most likely be the 914. A very fun ride closely approximating the `go-kart`feel of the Fiero.
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2009 at 8:46am

I'll have pics of a 914 rebuild that a buddy just painted last weekend...with a 911 Turbo engine/trans...this thing will burn up the road:).

The GT3 is 3rd in line of performance other than modified.  My buddy has a '04 GT3 with racing brakes, suspension, etc...and a sweet ride it is...then there is the GT2 with more hp and a few other tweaks...then the turbo 911 at 700+hp.

I love my Fiero, but if I had the bucks, I would be in a Porche, even would consider a M3 BMW especially with me racing now...put my Fiero back to stock for collector plates...lol

With Austins comments, I have encountered this MANY times...drive by appriciation, it's because our cars are in great shape and rare...there are lots of Porches on the road, through PCA (Porche club) you can find some real deals:)

Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">
Austin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Austin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2009 at 11:17am

Originally posted by Buddy Buddy wrote:

Uhmm, I love Fieros as much as the next guy but there is just no comparison to the Porsche hardware coming out of Stuttgart for the last 20 years.  I`ve got both a `94 911 and an `88 GT and both make me giggle but for VERY different reasons. Drive both and re-evaluate your statement Man.

Yes while I appreciate the Fiero for what it is and obviously there are other cars that make the spine tingle.   What I actually meant was there was no other car with a name that could have been said nicer at that moment in time.  More examples ie. if they had said 'Beetle', '240SX', 'Corvette' etc.

BTW my other car is a Porsche 944S, and the 2 cars are completely opposites in nearly every possible way but both give the rush and excitement I love

1986 Fiero GT 3.4L V6 DIS, 5 spd, Full Polyurethane Suspension, Rear Coil-overs
Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2009 at 11:24am
Your a speed junkie bro:)...registered for this Sunday for Auto-x???
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">
Austin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Austin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2009 at 11:26am
Originally posted by Capt Fiero Capt Fiero wrote:

LOL, Actually Austin does own a Porsche and I just finished rebuilding a Fiero for a member that has a Porsche GT3, ( I think thats the name of it, kinda looks like a 911 with a wide body)  He says he actually enjoys driving his Fiero more than his Porsche.

For me it's true both ways.  When I had the Fiero down to rebuild the doors and I didn't drive it for nearly 2 weeks, I was going through withdrawal.    Getting the same itch now with the 944 garaged for some wetsand/cut polishing.  The Fiero's got the low end grunt straight from idle which makes it fun in the city whereas my 944 absolutely screams to redline 7000rpm+ from about 2500rpm, in ANY gear.

Austin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Austin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2009 at 11:29am

Originally posted by Bassman Bassman wrote:

Your a speed junkie bro:)...registered for this Sunday for Auto-x???

Hey man!  Thanks for reminding me, I've got that on my list of things to do today.  Kris Duck, a long time club member, mentioned he might be coming out to see us run as well.  Hope the weather will be good.  I'll be putting together my AutoX gear Friday, will give you a ring to catch up.  Can't wait!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic