West Coast Fieros Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Buy / Sell » Interior and Car Audio
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Give-a-way...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Car-2-Lo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Give-a-way...
    Posted: 11 May 2009 at 3:20pm
Free Give-a-way...

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2009 at 3:42pm

I'll take it!

Geez John, you're giving an awful lot of stuff away lately. It's a good thing you don't seem depressed or I'd be worried about you! 

Capt Fiero View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founding Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Capt Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2009 at 3:43pm

Hell of a deal for somone.   If I didn't already have 2 black ones and 3 sets of gauges, I'd grab it in a heart beat.

Capt Fiero
88 Fiero GT 5spd V6
Eight Fifty Seven GT V8 5spd.
Car-2-Lo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Car-2-Lo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2009 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by Patrick Patrick wrote:

I'll take it!

Geez John, you're giving an awful lot of stuff away lately. It's a good thing you don't seem depressed or I'd be worried about you! 

It's yours Patrick ! Just house cleaning, parts have to go and chopper is at point of no return .

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2009 at 6:03pm
Chit Patrick, should you not be at work today...lol
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">
TairrieB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote TairrieB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2009 at 8:45pm
sweet i bought 3 of these off ebay they go for about 100 each except i had to keep buying new ones because none of them were in amazing condition 
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2009 at 11:17pm

Originally posted by Car-2-Lo Car-2-Lo wrote:

It's yours Patrick !

Thanks John! (I'll PM you.)

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2009 at 6:03am
Does anyone happen to know if the lower half is just brushed aluminum? I have a new head-unit, and I wouldn't mind customizing mine to match, but the opening would need to be smaller, not larger (It's a singal DIN head-unit, although it's bottom protudes far enough to be considered a DIN and a half). If I could just buy the basic metal and cut it, or get it cut, it would add a classy touch to car.
Never shift into reverse without a back-up plan.
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2009 at 10:11am

Originally posted by Romeo Romeo wrote:

Does anyone happen to know if the lower half is just brushed aluminum?

From the factory? If so, no, it's plastic.

Bassman View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God
Sir Brian

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2009 at 10:30am
There are peal on kits available but EXPENSIVE:)...or if you can you can make your own or have someone who can as Dr. did for me.
Brian (Bassman)

86 GT Fastback 3.2L

2013 Mazda3 Sport GS SkyActive

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/Bassman68/BassmanSignature.png">
Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2009 at 3:31pm
I just need a body that will house a single DIN unit, yet pretty much still have a DIN and a half opening at the end. Wonder if I could make a brushed aluminum replica? Or would it look too out of place?
Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2009 at 3:42pm

I just need a body that will house a single DIN unit, yet pretty much still have a DIN and a half opening at the end.

I don't know about anybody else, but you've certainly confused me.

What is this "body" you're referring to? What "end" are you referring to?

The opening size of the faceplate has nothing to do with the actual mounting of whatever size unit you plan to install in the console/dash.

Is the size of the hole in the factory faceplate the same size as whatever will be sticking out through it with your installation? If not, then perhaps you should be using a different adapter.

In my original Fiero I used an adapter to mount a more modern (at the time) cassette player. I was able to retain the factory faceplate as part of the adapter itself sticks through the hole above and below the cassette deck.

Car-2-Lo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Car-2-Lo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2009 at 4:23pm

I just need a body that will house a single DIN unit, yet pretty much still have a DIN and a half opening at the end. Wonder if I could make a brushed
aluminum replica? Or would it look too out of place?

I'm also not sure what you mean?

I replaced the stock plastic dash panel with an aluminum one, needed room for gauges, but lost the vents.
You can still cut an aluminum panel and install the vents and anything you want on it, but that's a bit of tweaking (it can be done).

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2009 at 4:57pm

What I mean is like this, from the right side, the Fiero's 1.5 DIN unit is like this:
        _________
       |    ;           ; |
Front|               |
       |_________|

My one will be like this:

The front of the Headunit (Faceplate) is the size of a 1.5 DIN unit. However, the core of it (Body) is only a single DIN unit, whereas the Fiero originally shipped with 1.5 DIN units. That extra size could be problematic, as I don't want the player shloshing around and damaging itself and CDs/DVDs. Also, the lower two corners of the faceplate are indented, meaning I'd essentially have to cut a unique piece of aluminum in order to hide the empty spots. If anyone ends up for one reason or another throwing out that radio/vents/heater face and body, I wouldn't mind getting my hand on one, so I can get to work modifying without leaving my stock one in pieces while I work on it (I'm sure there'd be some law against driving with exposed wiring coming out of you centre area).

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2009 at 5:28pm

(I'm sure there'd be some law against driving with exposed wiring coming out of you centre area).

I hope you're not serious. It's not quite that much of a police state here... yet.

I still don't understand what your concern is with mounting the headunit you have. Mounting it in the console/dash has nothing to do with the faceplate.

Just in case there's any confusion (because I don't know what you've taken apart and looked at), there's nothing to do with anything you see pictured at the top of this thread that has any bearing on actually mounting your headunit.

And if the unit you have requires a faceplate hole for 1.5 DIN, what good does another factory faceplate do you? How is it going to be any different than the one you have (which is already the correct 1.5 DIN size)?

I'm not trying to interrogate you, I'm just trying to figure out what you're thinking.

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2009 at 5:47pm

OH! I figured the faceplate picutered above would have some bearing on holding the radio in place, hence why I was hoping to modify one. I'll still have to modify my own somewhat (As I don't want holes in mine) but you're right, I wont need a new one if it wont affect the actual stabilty of the headunit at all. I'll need to make a new face plate though, because unlike the original AC Delco head-unit which is retangular, mine's got two recessions in the bottom corner. From the front, it kinda looks like this:

_______
|o       o|
\______/  The gaps would be those two angled bottoms. =)

Now I just have to worry about making my car take a single DIN head-unit.

Patrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Patrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2009 at 5:59pm

OH! I figured the faceplate picutered above would have some bearing on holding the radio in place...

Absolutely none. That's why I was wondering if you'd actually had a look in there yet.

I'll need to make a new face plate though, because unlike the original AC Delco head-unit which is retangular, mine's got two recessions in the bottom corner. From the front, it kinda looks like this:

_______
|o       o|
\______/  The gaps would be those two angled bottoms. =)

It would be a heck of a lot easier to mount a couple pieces of black plastic behind your faceplate to block those two holes in the bottom corners. If done properly it would look just fine.

Like so...

Romeo View Drop Down
Senior Post God
Senior Post God

Post Options Post Options   Quote Romeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2009 at 11:55pm
Yeah, I guess it would. Still, I'd prefer to do it all one piece if I could. Or at the absolute minimum, all one color.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic